FZ-1 Mirrors: Need photos of before or after or helpful descriptive comparisons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal rider

Reaction score
New ones from a dealer that were the stock mirrors and they don't move at all? Or are they short and you're looking at your elbows?

If the former, buy a set of stock mirrors from a dealer. If the latter, buy a set FZ-1 mirrors (again....actual Yamaha mirrors) if you'd like something a bit longer.
Just looked in at this subject. At the risk of jacking the thread, what are the advantages of the FZ-1 mirrors? Do they also fold in like the stock FJR mirrors?
J

Just looked in at this subject. At the risk of jacking the thread, what are the advantages of the FZ-1 mirrors? Do they also fold in like the stock FJR mirrors?
J
Don't hijack the thread please. Search FZ-1 mirror and you'll find many threads on the subject.

Thanks.
The Management

Yeah, many threads, no photos before or after or helpful descriptive comparisons
I guess you didn't get the hint. Sigh.

In the future, don't hijaak a thread. If one of the other threads on the subject isn't to your liking, start a new thread. I did it for 'ya this time. ;)

Last edited:
Norcal, a little imagine goes a long way. I've changed every FJR I've owned to FZ1 Mirrors ( you want the 2001 to 2005 FZ1 I believe).

FZ1 Mirrors are longer and actually give you a view behind you, as opposed to stock which gives you a great view of your elbows. Yes they fold up quite nicely. They probably don't look as lovely and integrated as stock oem, but I wouldn't go back to stock. Besides I think they look great. That said, buy Yamaha FZ1 mirrors. The emgos are okay buy the mirrors tend to get blurry on the outer edges and the mechanisms just don't operate as well as the Yammy ones. My garage has gotten crowded over the years and I often fold my mirrors in when parked in the garage. The emgo units are tearing into the rubber boot, so they're gonna get trashed eventually and I'll go back to FZ1 oem mirrors. Hope this helps. Baz

The FZ1 mirrors on my 05 stick out far enough to the sides so I know the hard bags won't hit anything if the mirrors fit through tight spaces.

I considered FZ mirrors. I ended up finding motech mirror extenders to solve the view problem while keeping things aesthetically pleasing.
Now that you mention it, that picture I posted above has a mirror extender on the fjr mirror. For me that didn't do enough. It all depends on how tall you are and how wide your shoulders are. Mine were just some $10 extenders from ebay, and then you needed to source your own threaded spacers and bolts (Amazon).

IMG_20211016_144849_1_ext.jpg

Last edited:
Before

DSCF3643-L.jpg

After

DSCF3853-L.jpg

Thanks for the before and after photos, and the other pro and con comments. I'll give 'em a try and see if I like 'em. My bike is a 2003 so I'm guessing I would have to get mirrors from a 2003 FZ?

2003 to 2005 FZ1 mirrors should be the same. The last OEM FZ1 left side I got in 2016 came from Israel. Couldn't find a new right side so I had to use one from my totaled 03. Hope you can find some.

You can buy the emgo ones anywhere. I have stock fz1 mirrors on my fz1 and emgo on my fjr. They are the same.

Just be careful buying used ones. I first had a set of used fz1 stock mirrors on the fjr, but the "turrents" that allow it to fold in were wore out, so one mirror would self fold on the freeway.