FZ1 Mirror conversion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnergold2B

Reaction score
I had been eyeing up my next farkling project of the Muzzy pipes on the way from FJRAY when I came across a slightly damaged FZ1 CF look-a-like Emgo mirror. $15 shipped. Snagged it and found a same mirror, left side, and snagged it. Rt side mirror showed up today and took me about 35 minutes to do install, half of that referring to FJRTech.com to find good directions on how to remove plastic trim.

Incredible change that has to be one of the highest ranking farkle for safety after 3M reflective on the bags. WOW! Being that the mirror stalks are half the size of the FJR's is there less buffeting as well? :dribble:

Being that the mirror stalks are half the size of the FJR's is there less buffeting as well?
Being a 3 1/4 season rider in NH I can attest that you lose some wind protection on your hands with the FZ1 mirrors. First cold morning it was evident that the blast freezer was working on my fingers :cold: I now notice a bit more rain on my gloves too.

that has to be one of the highest ranking farkle for safety
Gunny!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about switching back to the stock mirrors. Only because I can now see all the freakin nuts that are behind me. :eek:

JW

Been using the CF Emgo's for more than 2 years on my 05. Just bought a matched set of convex Emgo regular FJR mirros on ebay, will see how they compare to the Gen I stock mirrors.

John

I bought the real deal Mamma Yamma FZ1 mirrors from University Motors. ($34.58 ea plus $10 for shipping). I went with the OEMs mostly because I could not stand the thought of bolting and Faux Fiber on my feejer. Hell, next thing you guys will be scoring the CF look levers from eBay... ;-)

That kinda stuff looks pretty tacky (to me).

Yeah, I hear ya on the faux CF. I wasn't too sure either but I scored the right mirror for $15 shipped and figured I'd just try it out. The finish on the Emgo fake CF is pretty good, but I'm an overall tacky person anyway.

:lol:

I had the EMGO mirrors on the '04. There has been a slight problem with them and the solutions was posted by Toecutter:

The pivot rivet is not as substantial as the OEM mirrors. If one of your mirrors is "loose" at the joint (under the rubber boot) you will have to pull the mirror off, remove the rivet (I was able to grind the end with my Dremel) and replace it with the correct length bolt and nylock/self-locking nut.

I had to do this with my right mirror. Other than that they were just fine and I like the faux C.F. look.

Who's holdin' out on all the pictures???? :dribble:

I'm holding out in fear this will be deemed another worthless/pointless/+1/Gunny thread by superRatman. (I think he really rides a Bultaco SuperRat, in real Minnesota life)

Who's holdin' out on all the pictures???? :dribble:
I have the OEM FZ-1 mirrors on my bike in my avatar pic. You could go look through the various NorCal ride reports and find piccies of my bike...... Somewhere, in a land far away and in another dimension, someone posted pictures of a bike with the stock '03-'05 mirror on one side and the FZ-1 on the other. Someone also posted an "overlayed" picture with FZ-1 mirrors vs. OEM. I'm not aware of anyone doing the same with FZ-1 mirrors vs. NewGen mirrors.

I have a special request:

Could some one measure the overall length of these mirrors and post it up?

I have a special request:Could some one measure the overall length of these mirrors and post it up?
Just for you, sir:

I used the center of the rubber boot, just above the mounting holes as my reference point. I assumed you could do the same on OEM NewGen mirrors.

From the mid-point of the mounting bolts to the outside tip of the mirror: 15 1/2"

Using a small carpenter's square,

From the midpoint of the mounting bolts, horizontally to the tip of the mirror: 13 1/2"

Fromthe mid-point of the mounting bolts, vertically to the top of the mirror: 7 1/2"

Tip-of-mirror to tip-of-mirror: 45" in width.

G'Day Guys

Are you guys saying that FZ1 mirrors fit the 06 FJR

I had a quick look at a FZ1 this morning when I took my FJR in for a service and they looked to mount different

I will have another look when I pick it up later today

Im in Australia dunno if that makes any difference

Thanks regards Jacko

Jacko, the first generation FZ-1 mirror will fit on ALL FJRs. Though the NewGen FJR mirror mounting brackets "look" different, the use the same 2 mounting hoes under the mirror mount. The NewGen FZ-1 mirrors are different, but the one's on the older style FZ-1 fairing are similar to the OldGen FJR mirrors, except the stalk is longer, and that's where the idea first came from.I think I posted the Yamaha part numbers in one of my older posts.Jacko, the first generation FZ-1 mirror will fit on ALL FJRs. Though the NewGen FJR mirror mounting brackets "look" different, the use the same 2 mounting hoes under the mirror mount. The NewGen FZ-1 mirrors are different, but the one's on the older style FZ-1 fairing are similar to the OldGen FJR mirrors, except the stalk is longer, and that's where the idea first came from.I think the part numbers are listed in the FAQ section.

As MM2 alludes to, the rivet on the EMGOs is made of cheese... mine popped at WFO-6 when i accidentally pushed on the mirror while filling the gas tank. A quick trip to the local hardware store fixed it, but mine are about to become backups, since the right one has a bit of rash from the WFO-5 Shelf road excursion, and I've got a set of OEMs from UM waiting to go on. Still and all, other than the crappy rivet, the improvement to the rear view is well worth the coinage.