FZ1 Mirror Installation Another Perspective

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone using the FZ1 mirrors with the California Scientific windshield? I just put on the windshield and love it. Have FZ1 mirrors on order for my '07
I do. No problem.

I should point out two small issue that arises for people in places that allow lane-splitting (or filtering, as the Brits call it): The very thing that makes them better for seeing behind you--their width--makes lane-splitting a bit more difficult. Not anything that would make me give them up, but it did take a little getting used to, and occasionally in heavy traffic I have had to stop where with the stock mirrors I could have gotten through. And they don't bend inward the way the stock mirrors do.

Again, the ability to see behind me way more than makes up for these small negatives.
Interesting. My FZ-1 mirrors fold up exactly like the OEM's do.

You all sound pretty happy...and that makes me want to jump on this bandwagon.
But first...

Anybody reporting increased mirror vibes?

And +1 on which to order for a GenII bike?

Thanks guys.
If anything there's less vibration.

It's been a while, but I think I ordered the 2006 FZ1 mirrors for my 2006 FJR. I'm not sure it matters because the bracket's the same. I'll check tomorrow with the parts guy at the dealer I ordered them from (he's closed now). They should have the order on the compter. If yes I'll get you the part numbers (left and right).

Anyone using the FZ1 mirrors with the California Scientific windshield? I just put on the windshield and love it. Have FZ1 mirrors on order for my '07
I do. No problem.

I should point out two small issue that arises for people in places that allow lane-splitting (or filtering, as the Brits call it): The very thing that makes them better for seeing behind you--their width--makes lane-splitting a bit more difficult. Not anything that would make me give them up, but it did take a little getting used to, and occasionally in heavy traffic I have had to stop where with the stock mirrors I could have gotten through. And they don't bend inward the way the stock mirrors do.

Again, the ability to see behind me way more than makes up for these small negatives.
Huh. Mine stick straight out on black stalks. There's nothing to fold.

You all sound pretty happy...and that makes me want to jump on this bandwagon.
But first...

Anybody reporting increased mirror vibes?

And +1 on which to order for a GenII bike?

Thanks guys.
If anything there's less vibration.

It's been a while, but I think I ordered the 2006 FZ1 mirrors for my 2006 FJR. I'm not sure it matters because the bracket's the same. I'll check tomorrow with the parts guy at the dealer I ordered them from (he's closed now). They should have the order on the compter. If yes I'll get you the part numbers (left and right).

I do. No problem.

Huh. Mine stick straight out on black stalks. There's nothing to fold.
I'll be damned. They do fold. They fold at the base. It never occurred to me to try to fold them. Thanks.

bumpity bumpity bump

What year FZ1 mirrors will fit on a 2005 FJR? Is the footprint identical so it looks stock at the mounting points? Thanks.
this has been the unanswered question that has stopped me from doing this mod. i just went to cycle barn per a recommendation, and depending if you want '02-'05 mirrors, then you pay $50.39; if you want '06-'07 (i didn't look up '08), you pay $86; and they're similar, but not same, part numbers--- for right mirror for '02-05 is 5LV-26290-00-00; for '06-07 r mirror is 3C3-26290-00-00.

so, for a genII bike, does it matter what year fz1 mirrors one should get?

thx,

dean

cincinnati

2005 FZ1 mirrors

Bike Bandit $65.85 ea.

Powerpartsplus $51.03 ea

South Seattle Sports $46.57 ea.

FYI, shipping will vary of course.

EMGO brand is around $40.00 for the pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an '07 AE. Anybody know what year FZ 1 mirrors would fit? I really need the bigger mirrors. Sounds like it's worth every penny to make the switch. Any problems with the installation?

Thanks,

Biscuit

MRCycles.com $45/each. I've heard the off brands don't fold like the OEM, or they break easily.

I just ordered mine from Mr. Cycles. And, when I looked around at the Yamaha accessories, I found a nice looking FJR hat that I threw in the order too!

What year FZ1 mirrors will fit on a 2005 FJR? Is the footprint identical so it looks stock at the mounting points? Thanks.
I think you'd be safe to order the same year FZ1 mirrors. A good parts man at a dealership should know. Out of all my farkles this is the best one I did. Worth the money, especially if your tired of looking at your elbows. When I was at SFO last weekend I noticed a few bikes tha had them, but not many.

GP
GP - How did the replacement mirror install on your 08 go? Did you buy replacement mirrors for the 08 FZ? Did you need new bushings, spacers, etc or did it fit factory? Do your mirrors still fold in/out now with the FZ1 mirrors? Got any pics?

Thanks a ton.

-Z

Good pics -- have said before and will say again; these mirrors have been the biggest "bang for the buck" addition I have made to my 05 FJR. They are a significant improvement over the originals. Jay
I don't agree - with the Fz mirror closer to the lens there is perspective distortion that exaggerates the difference. The pix would have been closer to reality if both mirrors were the same distance from the lens. Don't get me wrong here tho the mirrror change should be #1 on the list.

I've got an '07 AE. Anybody know what year FZ 1 mirrors would fit? I really need the bigger mirrors. Sounds like it's worth every penny to make the switch. Any problems with the installation?
Thanks,

Biscuit
I know this is an old thread but I too would like to know what year or the right model number to order for the 2006 AE.

Update: I ended up just buying the mirrors I saw everyone else buying. I wanted to make sure the FZ1 mirrors for Gen 1 and Gen 2 were the same.

bumpity bumpity bump

this has been the unanswered question that has stopped me from doing this mod. i just went to cycle barn per a recommendation, and depending if you want '02-'05 mirrors, then you pay $50.39; if you want '06-'07 (i didn't look up '08), you pay $86; and they're similar, but not same, part numbers--- for right mirror for '02-05 is 5LV-26290-00-00; for '06-07 r mirror is 3C3-26290-00-00.

so, for a genII bike, does it matter what year fz1 mirrors one should get?

thx,

dean

cincinnati
BUMP!

I transplanted the FZ1 mirrors off my 04 onto my 06 without any issues.

Mine were acquired in late 2004, so as far as I know no issues between the years or Gen's...

As the right stock mirror on the Gen 2's is so buzzy, this is even a better farkle on the Gen 2's IMO!

Hope this helps

I transplanted the FZ1 mirrors off my 04 onto my 06 without any issues.
Mine were acquired in late 2004, so as far as I know no issues between the years or Gen's...

As the right stock mirror on the Gen 2's is so buzzy, this is even a better farkle on the Gen 2's IMO!

Hope this helps
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I bought them anyway but now I know they will work

Yep, they will work... mine with the Cal-Sci XL and sheild trim:

393646874_AMz2v-L.jpg

Yep, they will work... mine with the Cal-Sci XL and sheild trim:
393646874_AMz2v-L.jpg
Excellent, I have the large Cal-Sci too. Where did you get the sheild trim and is there any advantage to having it on? Whe I bought my sheild it was not included.

Will have to think this mod over as I would love not to be able to look at my elbows for once. R1, elbows, constantly lifting the arm to see behind me but when you are on an R1, who cares what is behind you. Same with the feej. Figured there would be better visibility on a SST?! On the GS these mirrors ROCK for visibility.

Might be time for another farkle. Looks like they will really just blend in with the 08' black.

Excellent, I have the large Cal-Sci too. Where did you get the sheild trim and is there any advantage to having it on? Whe I bought my sheild it was not included.

I got edge trim from a fellow on Ebay. I have tried it with and with out and it seems to cut the buffeting down a bit when the shield is fully down at interstate speeds. It does something and I like the look, I can really tell its doing something when I wear my Nolan flip up. Great option for finishing out an edge when you cut your shield down too. I'm pretty happy with my set up, I just hope the bike's screen mounts don't get ripped off.... the shield is huge. :)

Edge Trim Source

The mirrors and shield are by far the best mods I've done right behind the cramp buster which was my first mod.