Gadget Management System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm write occasional articles for WbW and we were talking about this on Saturday. Experimental airplanes, nicer cars, and others with CANBUS type systems (example: BMW bikes) have been using similar power distribution for years now. Other than the need for weather proofing that HBC's still looking into, this unit is really slick. Simply by knocking out the need to buy a HeatTroller for your electric clothing, the price is fairly reasonable and the reduction in wiring should be a big attraction to heavily farkled bikes like the FJR. For bikes with less charging capability, here's the chance to run what you want and not wonder if there is too much draw on the power available. For the long distance types, this gives a great plug-n-play capability, with the added reliability of less wires to chafe or break at crimped connectors.

For those who want simpler, we're working on a how-to article for the "electrically challenged" about how to install your own relay and power distribution system for less than ten bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea. Nice package for it's 1st generation, but we all know it takes subsequent generations for things to evolve and get better. I especially like the wireless feature.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :glasses:

Suddenly, that stack of relays, marine switches, switch boxes, and marine grade wire I bought looks possibly outdated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I did a bunch more reading and was slightly on the fence about it, but going to pull the ripcord. The only negative I saw was 4 variable circuits for things lighted heated clothing, but I really only need one...maybe two of those. And the 2 switched circuits seemed light on the number of gadgets and light scenarios I wanted to play with.

But, their techical addendum from a week ago convinced me. Seems they've made the heat circuits configurable to switched mode. They also made changes to make the pulsewidth variable in duration from 1 second to 1/256 a second....so you could use a heat circuit to also act as a headlight flasher unit. There's one more farkle this thing can replace!

E-mail in now what the $349.00 "Complete System" actually includes. If it's cables, RAM mount, and even dry case as the wbw article hopefully hints...I'll be ordering and documenting.

dispatch-1-power-distribution-system-parts.jpg

Thanks Gregorytx for the link!

If we can go from something like this:

droppedImage.png

to something like this, it's well worth it:

D1%20after.png

I didn't see any mention of the ability to name the various functions. It sure would be nice to tag what device is USB1 versus USB2 etc. Especially if used across multiple bikes as they discuss.

Also saw no mention of serialized security codes to match a single controller to a single module, or single controller to multiple bike modules. As the device grows in popularity and a couple group riders purchase them, what's to keep my controller from turning up my buddy's heated gear?

The comments about lacking weatherproofing/waterproofing for the bike module are right-on. Bagging the damn thing!!! Come on, give me a break! Expecting someone to drop $400 on a power control system that has to be put in a freakin plastic bag!!! That's just lame.

Also saw no mention of serialized security codes to match a single controller to a single module, or single controller to multiple bike modules. As the device grows in popularity and a couple group riders purchase them, what's to keep my controller from turning up my buddy's heated gear?
It's on page 2 of the review and something I wondered before purchasing

This next step is quite important and should not be overlooked. What this step does is allow the user to assign the Dispatch 1 system a unique identification code, called the PAN ID. Simply put, if operating in an environment where other Dispatch 1 systems are within Zigbee radio range, your system remains under your control.
I didn't see any mention of the ability to name the various functions. It sure would be nice to tag what device is USB1 versus USB2 etc. Especially if used across multiple bikes as they discuss.
Agree....I'm being a beta tester and fine with that. It might be something that can do a software addendum for...the things got gobs of processing power and spare memory. Talking to the guy today at the place I told him I'd plan to do a write-up here...and imagine that's a good feedback point. I was going to do it with switches anyway without labels.

The comments about lacking weatherproofing/waterproofing for the bike module are right-on. Bagging the damn thing!!! Come on, give me a break! Expecting someone to drop $400 on a power control system that has to be put in a freakin plastic bag!!! That's just lame.
Didn't dissuade me much. Having done 100K plus with a Starcom under the seat and it's never been an issue or gotten wet. If it's a potential issue I'll look it over and ponder how to increase water resistance perhaps with silicone.

It's all a great experiment to avoid or reduce what I count as 4 relays, 2 barrier strips, a metric butt load of wiring, a Datel, a headlight flasher, a heattroller, and playing hide-and-go seek with it all in a very confined nose space.

I like the idea of it a lot but they need to make it waterproof and reduce the size of the controller. With a radar detector and GPS on the left and right bars, a GMRS radio on the dash and often a video camera in the middle the last thing I need is another big widget sticking up.