Garage Door Opener

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a garage remote velcroed to the underside of the glove box lid. FYI, my garage remote uses the 12V battery (A23). The battery lasts 4-5 years. The remote is a generic remote. 
I have the same setup with Velcro.  Works like it should and no wiring at all.  I'm to lazy to make it any harder than that.

My garage door opener is connected to the wifi and I have an app on my phone... phone is mounted to handlebars.

I believe there are add on wifi dongles that you can wire into your garage door motor if it's not already equipped.

Here is an idea.  If the "glove box" is usually empty simply double back tape or double back velcro a garage door opener to the interior of the "glove box".  Easy, simply and on the bike always. 

I go with a kiss method too I always wear a jacket spring  Summer fall and winter,  just put the clicker in my  pocket with the button facing outwards. just push on the pocket.  even winter gloves. still works 😉

I understand completely what you want, but I can see that many on this thread misread your questions and therefore provided answers that are not relevant for you. Similar to you I require a button installed on the bike. I don't want to mess with my pockets or opening up anything on the bike as I drive up to my garage. A dedicated button is a reasonable and elegant solution IMO.

I installed a garage door opener in the battery compartment (right side fairing on the 2016) along with a small weatherproof push button installed right on the right fairing pocket (battery) lid. It works great, but I would be worried if I parked outside, as anyone would basically be able to open my garage. 

I think the easiest solution to this would be to install a small relay and simply route the garage door opener wire through that, so that it only operates when bike is on.Relay is cheap, plenty of places to hide it, and just a few wires.  

I understand completely what you want, but I can see that many on this thread misread your questions and therefore provided answers that are not relevant for you. Similar to you I require a button installed on the bike. I don't want to mess with my pockets or opening up anything on the bike as I drive up to my garage. A dedicated button is a reasonable and elegant solution IMO.

I installed a garage door opener in the battery compartment (right side fairing on the 2016) along with a small weatherproof push button installed right on the right fairing pocket (battery) lid. It works great, but I would be worried if I parked outside, as anyone would basically be able to open my garage. 

I think the easiest solution to this would be to install a small relay and simply route the garage door opener wire through that, so that it only operates when bike is on.Relay is cheap, plenty of places to hide it, and just a few wires.  
I think that is my path forward (though, thank you all for replies).  I found a solid state relay, so that'll be nice.  In addition, I'll be borrowing mcatrophy's idea of placement for the switch.  It avoids messing with the handlebars (though, if I find I need more stuff on the front of my bike, it may moved up there.  But that' a future me problem.

Though having a remote tied into the power source will be ideal, I feel I'm going to fight the pairing with the garage door opener itself.  Easier just to use a existing remote I have lying around..

Well its Friday.

Me:  Hey Joe, what time is it?

Joe:  Well we would need to remove the instrument cluster and find the hard to see clock display and then solder wires (preferred size 58 gauge wire) from it (careful they are small) to the big red LED readout since we are older and can't see as well and mount that on the dash plate we installed last month.  Probably needs to go on top of the GPS so we don't take our eyes off the road for too long.  Don't forget the relay so it doesn't drain the battery when the bike is off.

Me:  Never mind.  I'll just look at my watch.  🙃

Do you have any sort of name brand? 

Other than that, I think I'll go fwd with my original plan.  Thank y'all for the help.
I have a Lift Master emote fob that can be programmed to open three doors. It is about the size of a medium size thumb and 1/2" thick with flat surface bottom. The battery is a wafer type. I have had it for years and do not recall ever changing the battery. It could be attached to your key rig or otherwise use velcro and attach it wherever you prefer. Google Lift Master door opener key fob and you will find they have two types. One which is what I have and works with Lift Master openers $24. The other is a universal that works with just about every opener in the U.S $40. 

My garage door opener is connected to the wifi and I have an app on my phone... phone is mounted to handlebars.

I believe there are add on wifi dongles that you can wire into your garage door motor if it's not already equipped.
How do you have your network secured from outside attacks? My concern about smart locks (Shlage and others) is that (as with all "Internet of Things" things) they have little (or no) security designed into them and are huge attack vectors.

How do you have your network secured from outside attacks? My concern about smart locks (Shlage and others) is that (as with all "Internet of Things" things) they have little (or no) security designed into them and are huge attack vectors.
If I tell you on the internet then it'll really won't be secure.

My first-pass look would be to have them on the WiFi-available "guest network" so it can be isolated from everything on the primary network. With a different PW to access, if concerned about compromise, changing the PW on the guest network wouldn't force you to have to update all the PWs on everything else.

Bounce I will tell you this. You not only have to download the app, but the way mine works you have like 3 different passwords to get through to be able to use the app to open the garage door. 

We know how that works thanks to T2!

Q2Bo8j1.gif

I soldered 2 short wires about 8 inches long from the switch connection points inside the remote. The wires go to a small momentary switch that is taped outside of the glove box. I take the battery out of the remote when it is not riding season.

I used velcro to stick an opener to the "glovebox" lid - inside.  Been there for about 8 years so far and works fine.