• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Garauld Refreshment System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The refreshment system rocks. Got a few hundred miles on the clamp style 1/2 gallon and absolutely love it. I have mine mounted on the right side, the plastic hose will fit under the seat a bit and then snake up to my tank bag nicely. No fuss.

I have yet to try it in extreme desert or anything over 80 degrees yet, but keeping the switch on the valve open as was mentioned so the water goes back in the jug works well thus far.

Thanks Gary!

I went on a 550 mile ride over the weekend and I'm kicking myself for not mounting up and using one of the unfinished ones... It was was warm out (about 75°) and it would have come in handy. :rolleyes:

Now all someone needs to do is come up with an insulated cover to hide the jug and keep the drink cooler longer and also hide the red jug.

I got a price back from a seamstress - $275 inital setup fee and $115 for each cover after that. :eek:

I now have blue jugs available... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a price back from a seamstress - $275 inital setup fee and $115 for each cover after that. :eek:

That's robbery I say!

What do guys think of a neoperene type "three sided" (top and circumference) cover? I would think that would just be the seam down the side and the top for sewing. I could get that done for cheap round here. Hmmmmmm. Googling neoperene

That's robbery I say!

What do guys think of a neoperene type "three sided" (top and circumference) cover? I would think that would just be the seam down the side and the top for sewing. I could get that done for cheap round here. Hmmmmmm. Googling neoperene

You can also cover the jug with insulated tape as a cheap alternative. Not as elegant or "cool" as a insulating blanket, but might work. I'd also recommend lighter colors (white or silver) for the cover so it reflects more light to limit heating.

I have used the Refreshment System on an eleven day, 9 states, 4750 mile ride. It worked great and I am happy to have this product. :clapping:

Now if Garauld can make a side case replacement worthy of the FJR I would be in on that. Nudge Nudge Hint Hint!

The FJR side cases suck - aka they are virtually useless. :angry:

I would love to see a top loading side case - just use the existing mounts and trash the rest - function before form please. If I was interested in form before function I would not be on this forum! :yahoo:

-for those with big...., ahem, thirsts:

P1020171-1.jpg

- the 1-gallon system. They come in clamp style as well. ;)
if only you could figure out a way to make that top plate function as a cup holder too :)

The refreshment system rocks. Got a few hundred miles on the clamp style 1/2 gallon and absolutely love it. I have mine mounted on the right side, the plastic hose will fit under the seat a bit and then snake up to my tank bag nicely. No fuss.

I have yet to try it in extreme desert or anything over 80 degrees yet, but keeping the switch on the valve open as was mentioned so the water goes back in the jug works well thus far.

Thanks Gary!
I agree with the statement about the Refreshment System rocking! I bought the one-gallon version for the Generation II, rode a few hundred miles after installing it. The only question I have about the system is why did I wait so long to do something like this!

Since the summer is coming, I know they'll be more than a few thirsty riders out there. If you think you may be one of them, for a limited time, I'll pay for the stateside shipping costs if you buy one of these systems.

(Actually, I've got a bunch of Coleman jugs here that keep getting in the way...) :rolleyes:

I would love to see a top loading side case - just use the existing mounts and trash the rest - function before form please. If I was interested in form before function I would not be on this forum! :yahoo:
so fab up some Jesse Bags for your bike. they'll look ugly as sin but they may make you happy. as they are, mine work fine. since i always use the liners except for local travel, the side opening is easier than any top opening versions i've had on other bikes.

Garauld,

Where did you buy the quick clamps from? I'm converting the one I bought from you to hold a 1 gal jug. So I need a bigger diameter clamp. Went to local hardware stores and the local fastenal, no joy. The parts guy at fastenal couldn't find it in the catalog because we didn't know what it is actually called. Thanks for your help.

I get the clamps from McMaster-Carr. The same clamp should fit a 1 gal Coleman jug.
We must have different sized 1 gal jugs. I have the clamp opened as big as it can go, still a couple of inch's too small. It's a great system you designed, just back to back days of riding in 90+ degrees had me wishing for a bigger jug. Thanks.

Just got back from the Adacks ride. About 1100 miles round trip. First real test of the refreshment system. Worked like a charm,not a single complaint. Thanks Gary for another great product.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all - I just wanted to share the pics of my new Gerauld setup. I had gone back and forth with Gary a few times as I had a particular need and didn't want it on the rear peg. I sent some pics with measurements and how I wanted it - Gary came back with a CAD drawing which we adjusted a bit - and a short time later this showed up on my door! Great job - I'm ready to try it out on a short cross USA trip coming up soon.

First off, this is how I had been doing it - this first pic only shows 1 bungee cord on it, but on the road I used more like 4 in a particular order to hold the 1 gallon Coleman cooler on a couple of pieces of angle:

FJRhyd007.jpg

Here's a shot of the 2 pieces of angle aluminum I had bolted on to some unistrut welded on the side of my aux tank:

FJRhyd001-2.jpg

Now, here's the setup Gary came up with:

Gerault1.jpg

another angle:

Gerault2.jpg

And a shot of it mounted:

Gerault3.jpg

I'm still trying to sort out a couple of details -

> some sort of little clip or machine screw that I can put into the snap on the side so it doesn't come undone on the road - needs to be easy to use and would like it to be tethered

> and get a little bit longer hose so I can put the stainless tubing in/out of the spout while it's in the cradle, and a simple system for securing the extra hose so it doesn't flap in the breeze

All in all I'm real pleased! Thanks Gary!