• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Garauld Refreshment System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gang, I'm ready to start making these before the hot season starts. They come in two variants; clamp style and strap style. The bases are made to be switchable from right to left side mounting. The bite valve has a optional quick-disconnect which you may want to use. I included 90° and straight fittings where the jug tube connects to the clear hose - your choice.

The standard color choices for the powdercoated base are satin black and bright silver. I have others available also, such as engine gray and Raven gloss, but not bike colors like Black Cherry or Cerulean. I will not paint them to match. You can order straps in either black or silver gray. The following pics show what is included. You can deduct $5 if you have your own Coleman 1/2 gal. jug (I found them at K-mart) - others probably won't fit. I would normally furnish the jug w/o a 1/2" dia.tube hole so you can position it as needed to suit your needs. I supply the grommet loose and they are easily installed. I believe Coleman make these in blue also, but I have not found them locally. You can order one off Ebay and save a few $ in shipping costs from me.

Cost for the clamp style is $100, the strap version is $90. Shipping is extra. The clear hose is 48" long.

The strap version has a single quick-disconnect buckle that allows the jug to be quickly removed. All three straps can be adjusted for tightness. The clamp is powdercoated to match and is adjustable for more/less tension.

PM me to order or to ask for more info. These come with a satisfaction or money-back guarantee. Thanks. ;)

P1010885.jpg

P1010880.jpg

P1010884.jpg

P1010876.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in for a clamp style powder coated in black. Please include the jug so I can avoid the trip to Kmart. :p

How do I pay you and went can I get it? Hoping to receive it by May for I am riding from Seattle to New Mexico staring May 5th. If it is not possible ok but it does not hurt to ask.

Thanks so much,

Jim Fontana

I like the strap design. Looking forward to enjoying the convenience of using your well designed hydration system!

PM sent.

:)

Gary does the hose come with the insulated cover that is always so much to put on the hose?
No. You would need to procure it on your own. I'll give you a $4 deduct if you want to use your own insulated hose. ;)
Many outdoor stores have the CamelBak Thermal Control Kit - REI, Camping World, some larger Big 5's. You can also get it from Amazon. The cover on the mouthpiece helps keep it clean, and you get used to opening it one-handed…

Gary, I want one with the straps. However, I'm gonna have to hold off for a bit. All kinds of stuff is coming due at the same time. Sheesh!

I'll PM you when I can swing it.

Just wanting to do a little review on the "clamp-style" hydration system by Garauld, which I received from him on April 18th. I've now had a chance to put 3300 miles on the system from since we put it on, and I have to say that it's a winner.

Taken shortly after Garauld installed it on my FJR.

306273_628153728168_43700039_32571656_605010325_n.jpg

I have to say that the system is very secure. I have absolutely no issues with it loosening over the days of riding, even over some rough roads. It handled the twisties on US-14 and US-16 through Wyoming, and the long interstate slogs, just fine. It was immensely helpful on the last day of my ride, when temps between Missoula, MT and Seattle, WA ranged from 75 - 87 degrees. Since I was layered for the temps that morning (37 degrees leaving Billings, MT), having some cold water to suck down helped a bunch. I had suffered some dehydration issues earlier in my trip, heading into Albuquerque, NM and then again in Knoxville, TN, when I was just too stubborn to drink enough when I stopped for gas. Having it available on the bike is awesome and will definitely lead me to drinking more while under way. I've done the Camelbak thing in the past, but it blocks the back vent on my Roadcrafter, so it's no longer viable to me.

The clamp system worked a lot better than I thought it would, the mounting plate barely budged on even the harshest bumps when loaded with the Coleman jug, and there were no clearance issues. The clamp allows the container to be removed in seconds. Really hassle free refilling. I also noticed that it would be nearly impossible for you to catch your leg on the clamp unless you're doing really weird things with your legs. As you can see in the photo, I chose to mount mine on the left side of the bike as my left hand would be free to hold the hose while drinking. Overall, excellent system.

I cannot wait to get a cover on both the hose and the coleman cover itself, to help with keeping the system a little cooler. Only issue I can see with a cover for the jug is its current position is a magnet for insect strikes. I almost had to wipe the container off nightly since it was plastered with the little buggers. Not a big issue, but I did notice the flies absolutely loved the container when I stopped. I also need to try out one of the magnet attachments that have been suggested, so the hose can be secured to my tank. For the trip, I ended up capturing the tube in the handle of the Pelican case, that is my tank bag.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

Just received mine. Thanks Gary! Any secret to routing the hose? I assume run it on the outside "along" the fairing? Or is there a better way. Thanks again.

Hi gang, I'm ready to start making these before the hot season starts. They come in two variants; clamp style and strap style. The bases are made to be switchable from right to left side mounting. The bite valve has a optional quick-disconnect which you may want to use. I included 90° and straight fittings where the jug tube connects to the clear hose - your choice.

The standard color choices for the powdercoated base are satin black and bright silver. I have others available also, such as engine gray and Raven gloss, but not bike colors like Black Cherry or Cerulean. I will not paint them to match. You can order straps in either black or silver gray. The following pics show what is included. You can deduct $5 if you have your own Coleman 1/2 gal. jug (I found them at K-mart) - others probably won't fit. I would normally furnish the jug w/o a 1/2" dia.tube hole so you can position it as needed to suit your needs. I supply the grommet loose and they are easily installed. I believe Coleman make these in blue also, but I have not found them locally. You can order one off Ebay and save a few $ in shipping costs from me.

Cost for the clamp style is $100, the strap version is $90. Shipping is extra. The clear hose is 48" long.

The strap version has a single quick-disconnect buckle that allows the jug to be quickly removed. All three straps can be adjusted for tightness. The clamp is powdercoated to match and is adjustable for more/less tension.

PM me to order or to ask for more info. These come with a satisfaction or money-back guarantee. Thanks. ;)

P1010885.jpg

P1010880.jpg

P1010884.jpg

P1010876.jpg
That looks great! Just got back in range (been delivering a ship from Singapore to Australia, so have been out of touch - which has been rather nice actually !) I would like to order a silver clamp model complete with everything. I can pay by PayPal if that's OK. And can you arrange postage to Melbourne, Australia? Very best regards, Rob

I installed my Refreshment System in time for a trip from Seattle to New Mexico. I leave on Sat May 5th. I am really looking forward to loosing my Camelbak because it restricted airflow though my jacket. Garauld's system is much easier to use than a Camelbak.

Before the photos 3 cheers to Gary!

Here are some photos.

First on my bike. Any extra hose was looped and retained with a velcro tie at the jug. I could have cut the hose but I have not used the system yet and don't know who much hose I will need. Having a short hose is not a good deal..... :dribble:

IMG_8516.JPG

Here is how I will attach the hose to my jacket. There is a key ring on my right lower jacket zipper with a D Ring for my keys and retractable badge retainer. I can put the hose in either the D Ring or use retainer in my fingers.

IMG_8512.JPG

You can follow my trip on my blog and I plan on posting as I go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary does the hose come with the insulated cover that is always so much to put on the hose?
No. You would need to procure it on your own. I'll give you a $4 deduct if you want to use your own insulated hose. ;)
Many outdoor stores have the CamelBak Thermal Control Kit - REI, Camping World, some larger Big 5's. You can also get it from Amazon. The cover on the mouthpiece helps keep it clean, and you get used to opening it one-handed…
FWIW In our case, the tubing insulation probably helps to protect the hose more than keep the drink cool. The trick is to blow the extra back in to the jug. Much rather start over than get a mouthful of warm gatorade!

Per a request from a fellow member, I designed a mounting base for 1-gal jugs as well. Before I order more parts for these, I was wondering if there is much interest out there for larger jugs? :rolleyes: Hmmm... Pics to follow soon.