Garmin Gps Route Calculation Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Hey people, I am assuming that I'm not doing something correctly when trying to get my GPS V to navigate a route that I calculated on Mapsource. If anyone has experienced this problem & knows what I'm doing wrong please speak up. I'm getting very aggravated.

The problem: I have planned a route on my unit through Mapsource. I made sure that I downloaded the detailed maps for the area that I've routed threw & everytime that I attempt to navigate the route the GPS gives me a message that says:

This Route Does Not Match the Available Maps! It will not follow the roads precisely. Do you want to recalculate it? Yes/No

If I pick "no" it goes back into running map mode & doesn't navigate.

If I pick "Yes" it automatically calculates a new route... not the one that I manually routed.

I am assuming that I am doing something wrong & I don't have it set correctly. I'm a fairly new user to this unit & don't know all of the ins and outs yet.

Any suggestions?

Heidi

Last edited by a moderator:
Happens to me 'round sensitive areas like nuclear plants, government buildings and military bases. Da guv has some areas blocked. Is your route in or near an area like that? If not, my tried and true method of fixing electronics as to take the fix-all to them or toss 'em at the nearest brick wall - hard. Problem solved!

PM 04FJR4ME. He da guru wizard of GPS, fo sho!

Last edited by a moderator:
twn, I do believe that I just answered my own question. Isn't that nice when that happens??? I'm just sitting here piddling around & schwing! She's fixed!

I went over what I've done since purchase of my unit from a friend. I had downloaded an update for Mapsource a couple of months ago & didn't realize that Mapsource is now saving files to a different format than previously.

The old format is Garmin GPS Database - Version 1

The new updated format is Garmin GPS Database - Version 2

I went into Mapsource, saved my route down to version 1, downloaded it to my unit & whallahhhh!!! no weird error message.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem give this a try.

Heidi

If not, my tried and true method of fixing electronics as to take the fix-all to them or toss 'em at the nearest brick wall - hard. Problem solved!
:haha:

You're too funny man! I do appreciate the help, though.

That's what I like to see, you ask a question and answer it yourself.

I am going to be out of a job soon and will have to go work for Walmart! :D

That's what I like to see, you ask a question and answer it yourself.I am going to be out of a job soon and will have to go work for Walmart! :D
Why, does Walmart sell Garmin? :haha:

I have found that the best way to work this is to set up several way points along your route in MapSource. Download the route consisting of these way points to the GPS-V and then when you start the route, choose "follow roads". What this will do is actually calculate the route, following the roads on your internal map, using your preset waypoints. You then get the best of both worlds.

What maps are you using? Some maps will route on MapSource but not on the GPS. On my 60CS about the only maps that will outroute on the GPS are City Select. Metroguide used to route on an earlier version but will not route on the latest.

And you have to be sure to check the box in the download that says to include autorouting info for the GPS.

- Mark