Garmin Zumo 550 Memory Limitations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, thanks for putting this thread out there for us.

I just got done getting all the map updates from Garmin last week, laid out a new Itunes library of my latest favorites and converted them to mp3.

I just loaded up everymap available and my latest music files to an 8gig SD card and everything works flawlessly with plenty of room to spare on the card. Now with the internal memory freed up on the 550 for all the routes, track logs and way points this is the ticket.

AWESOME STUFF!!! :yahoo:

Thanks Fred!

I had a spare old 2GB SD card, and believe it or not the entire mapset from the latest North America update fits on it with ~600MB to spare. I haven't deleted the original file on the Zumo because I haven't got an immense amount of stored routes or music on it - just the maps, man.

Now I can use the Zumo when I'm on Maui this February (sadly can't rent an FJR, though) - sweet! Pretty much anywhere I go in NA from now on will be covered - supersweet!

Cheers,

DW

Oh good gawd so many Thanks Fred.

I downloaded all of North America to my PC only..

Is it as simple as creating a Garmin folder on the SD card and transferring the downloaded info currently on the PC hard drive to the SD card?
Not exactly. You still have to use either Mapsource (or Basecamp) or the Garmin MapInstall utility (my preferred method) to transfer the map segments that you want (probably all of them) from where they reside on your PC to your SD card. As I mentioned in my OP, you select all of the maps you want to include and it crunches them all up and puts them into one big file named gmapsupp.img on the SD card. Once you have that file generated on teh SD card you can just copy the file to additional SD cards rather than going through the hour long mapinstall again.

Hope that helps.
Here is better alternative, a nifty piece of shareware to manage the maps and transfer files to and from the Zumo. I use it on my Montana and it could not be any easier to backup and move maps. The guys on advrider swear by it.

https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fred!

I had a spare old 2GB SD card, and believe it or not the entire mapset from the latest North America update fits on it with ~600MB to spare. I haven't deleted the original file on the Zumo because I haven't got an immense amount of stored routes or music on it - just the maps, man.

Now I can use the Zumo when I'm on Maui this February (sadly can't rent an FJR, though) - sweet! Pretty much anywhere I go in NA from now on will be covered - supersweet!

Cheers,

DW

Glad to be of assistance.

But, warning!! If you loaded the entire mapset to the SD card and leave the partial same mapset on the device you will have duplicates of some map sectors. This is known to have caused problems. If they are from two different versions of maps it will be OK, you'll just have to select one or the other from the maps selection screen on the GPS.

Thanks for the link Hudson. I've downloaded a copy of that utility and will give it a try when I have some time.

Thanks, Fred. I will need to pick up an 8GB card and get this done, but it solves the issue of not enough room. I have the Western US loaded in my 550 currently, but drag the unit along while traveling on business. I was in Nashville two weeks ago, and went to punch in the hotel name at the airport, so I could steer my rental wreck over there. Lo and behold, only Texas showed up when I typed in "T"... I was puzzled for a moment, then remembered how I had to reduce what was loaded when I bought the lifetime refresh earlier this year, and was forced to remove half of the country.

Thank you for the information Fred, it was very helpful [img=[URL="https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif%5D"]https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif][/URL]
Just picked up a used 550 and I'm really having a hard time getting the new map on a 8g SD that I just purchased yesterday. The unit is registered to the PO, so i cant register it. I'm using an Apply PC and I'm totally not a PC kind of guy. Current I have the 2012.20 map loaded, but after trying to upgraded the 550 I have lost the ability to change States and map only shows major roads and no local streets. Not sure where to go from here, guess I need to contact Garmin. Any suggestions.......

Thanks

First thing is to get the prior owner to un-register the device so you can register it to yourself.

Using Apple computers has proven to be a handicap to other folks too, so I'm not sure how to steer you in that regard. Maybe pick up a cheap netbook PC for use with your GPS and routing. I have one that I paid only a couple hundred dollars for and I carry it on the road when I'm traveling on the bike.

You need to be able to get the new version of maps loaded on your PC first following the steps outlined previously. You should be able to see the new maps in either mapsource or basecamp, whichever you are using. After that you should be able to use either mapsource, basecamp or the mapinstall utility to load the maps onto the SD card

Finally got the thing working. PO unregistered the 550 and I registered it. Was worried that the life time maps would not follow but they did. I contacted Gramin and found out they were having server problems the same time I was trying to down the 2013.30 maps . They had me down load again and it worked. So I now have the 2013.30 NT SW loaded on the 550 and the 8gb SD has 2013.30 NT & Canada loaded.

So after two days of digging and digging I've got a real good understanding of Zumo 550 and basecamp now. Now I just need some good weather so I can get some rode time using it.

Fred,

Thanks for posting the original instructions. I was reluctant in the past to update my 550 based on the memory limitations. I went ahead and updated the maps using your directions. Worked perfectly!

Fred,
Thanks for posting the original instructions. I was reluctant in the past to update my 550 based on the memory limitations. I went ahead and updated the maps using your directions. Worked perfectly!
I'll +1 that. Just got a reconditioned 550 to replace my old one and came back to these instructions to get it loaded again. This is a great reference.

Fred, now that the maps are larger than 2-GB are you having any problems reading a full CN North America mapset with the Zumo 550?

No. That was the entire point of this thread, I was already having limitations loading the full US map set even back then.

I now just load all of my maps onto an SD card, which can be as big as 8GB if you want (mine are) That allows me to load 4GB of music MP3s and have 4GB available for maps. I actually load both the current entire North America Map set (I have lifetime maps so keep updating them) plus the Northeast US 24k Topo maps with no problem using the techniques described in the first post.

Thanks Fred. I got 2014.4 loaded. For some reason it wasn't seeing the map on the SD card, but I deleted some of the old img files, and it's working fine now.

Yes. Put your cursor in the extreme corner of the window. Push the left mouse button down and then drag it to the opposite corner. It will lasso (and select) all the segments inside the area prescribed.

(This seems like the right place to post this info)

With a 665, I wanted to move my map file(s) to the memory card as I can no longer have the whole NA map loaded in the Zumo's internal storage. Also, a possible further wrinkle, I purchased the 'lifetime maps' option after buying the device.

Generally following the OP's post worked fine.

However -

MapInstall told me my maps were locked.

I followed the Garmin online unlock process for a Zumo, using the device serial number, and that didnt work.

What did work was logging on to MyGarmin, and getting my unlock code from the latest map download listed under MyMaps and using that code in the online unlock map process, as well as the device serial number.

While it was slow to process, I also was able to tell MapInstall to use the memory card in the Zumo as the target for the map file(s).

Of course the Zumo was connected when starting MapInstall. Maybe 30 minutes to install all of NA.

Didnt have to copy or rename anything on the memory card.

It seems like the Zumo loads faster too.

-Steve

Steve

What size memory card are you using in your Zumo? I also have the 665 and an 8GB card. I read that there were issues with bigger cards on the 665 (but not on the 660 for some reason). I have also read where people have used 16 GB or even 32 GB cards without issues. (I would like to use a 16 if I could.) Are you using a "fast" card?

When you put the maps on the external card, did you erase them from the main unit? Wondering how it would "know" where to get them if there are two valid mapsets?

Maps in the Zumo root or in the Garmin directory? (hidden, I assume)

If I had looked at the screen on the Zumo in bright sunlight, I never would have bought it! Old technology in terms of displays and processors, even when it first came out. While better, I am not sure whether I want to embrace the newer models. I may just end out using my phone - fully waterproof and a MUCH better display.

RK

Memory card is 16G, which I have used for 3-4 yrs, holding 9G of mp3's (1560) in 100 Folders.

It is not a 'fast' card. Its a Class 2 card, maybe the slowest there is?

MapInstall gave me the choice of where to place the map files. I did not rename the base map file until after MapInstall was finished.

I had to set Windows File Explorer to allow me to see the base map file. (Tools, Folder Options, View, then untick "Hide Protected Operating System files" & Apply) Once you can see the .System Folder,

the base map file can be renamed, copied, etc.

First I renamed the base map file, and after the GPS appeared to operate OK, I removed it from the Zumo, started the unit again and found all was working. (so far)

I should also mention what I ended up with in the Garmin Folder on the SD card are 3 files, gmapsupp.img, and 2 .gma files with gibberish for file names.

I am planning to play with JaVaWa and a 32G card in the near future. Not sure why, since I now have all I want on the 16G card.

It's the sat radio that makes me keep the 665.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Garmin wins the prize for the worst end user s'ware and related support. Its just all bad.

Per FredW correction below, replace my references to base map file with gmapprom.img.

-Steve