Garmin Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
I'm thinking about the Zumo 550.

Will I be happy with the XM sat radio in the truck or should I just get a dedicated radio and the 450?

I don't listen to tunes or take calls when I ride.

Thanks,

Derek

i don't have sat radio in the truck yet. i'm going to get it. i'm also going to get a gps that will move from bike to truck.

i just wanted to know if anyone using the 550 for xm radio was happy with it.

i'm trying to determine if i should combine the gps and radio or go seperate units.

So, if anyone is using the 550 for xm radio, would you prefer a dedicated radio or are you happy with the 550 for sat radio?

thanks,

dh

IMO, the user interface for the Garmin XM is sub standard. It is basic stuff like channels, genres headers, etc... A dedicated XM head unit is the best way to go, or alternatively a radio head unit with XM built in is most likely better. I have a 2730 not a Zumo, but I'm guessing the software is pretty close.

If you NEVER want to use the XM on your bike, then yeah, buy a seperate unit for your truck. You can find XM recievers for $60.00. Compare that to the $170 for the Garmin XM unit. If you just want GPS for the bike and also don't want the Bluetooth options, then you will save even more money getting the Zumo 450.

The subscription price for XM is the same regardless of unit. The traffic/weather feature is nice, but adds about $4.50 a month to that. I think they do sell some stand alone XM radios that use this feature, but not sure.

If you get the Garmin XM unit you will also have to find a way to get the XM to play through your trucks sound system. You will have to have either a stereo input in the trucks radio or a cassette tape converter (if it plays cassettes) or you can buy a FM transmitter to send the signal to your trucks FM radio. (You will still need one of these to listen to any MP3's you put on your Zumo too)

The XM Roady2 and XT has a built in transmitter, so if you just want tunes for your truck, this is way to go. As mentioned , the XM interface on the Zumo is not as handy as a stand alone XM radio car unit.

KM

I have the 550 and love it! I also have the dedicated XM antenna, I mounted it underneath the fairing just behind the glove box and get good reception. Ebay had 4GB SD cards for around $20, and I have about 700 songs on mine.

I am not at the moment using the bluetooth feature with my phone as the microphone that I installed in my helmet is rather useless, I have a new helmet that I will install some new speakers in and will try a different microphone and see if the pickup is better.

I did not get the traffic alert package as Salt Lake city is not one of the areas available, as I recall there were not that many cities in the list.

Hope this helps.

I have the 550 and love it! I also have the dedicated XM antenna, I mounted it underneath the fairing just behind the glove box and get good reception. Ebay had 4GB SD cards for around $20, and I have about 700 songs on mine.
I am not at the moment using the bluetooth feature with my phone as the microphone that I installed in my helmet is rather useless, I have a new helmet that I will install some new speakers in and will try a different microphone and see if the pickup is better.

I did not get the traffic alert package as Salt Lake city is not one of the areas available, as I recall there were not that many cities in the list.

Hope this helps.
I have a question. Can you listen to the mp3 player and xm wirelessly with a bluetooth headset or do you have to plug it up?

Hope this helps.

I have a question. Can you listen to the mp3 player and xm wirelessly with a bluetooth headset or do you have to plug it up?

I think you can listen but I'm not sure Bluetooth supports stereo yet. :unsure:

Unless the Zumo has the traffic alerts like my 2730. In that case you'd need the XM radio subscription for the feature to work on the GPS.
You can use the FM traffic receiver with Zumo - no need for XM if that's all you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope this helps I have a question. Can you listen to the mp3 player and xm wirelessly with a bluetooth headset or do you have to plug it up?

I think you can listen but I'm not sure Bluetooth supports stereo yet. :unsure:

You can listen to MP3's via Bluetooth but they sound kinda crappy...compared to using wired stereo headphones or earbuds. The Zumo does not send XM out over bluetooth, so you will need the wired earphones to hear it.

They do however make stereo bluetooth headphones, but you will have to wire the stereo output to a stereo bluetooth transmitter, as the Zumo bluetooth output is not stereo.

I just use my bluetooth headset for phone and intercom and listen to my MP3's, XM and the Voice prompts through a set of stereo earbuds (Eytomic ER6i's)

KM

The Zumo is NOT a good choice if you are going to run it between bike and truck simply because in doing so, you'd have to move the GXM30 antenna as well every time you switch.

I have the Zumo 550 with XM and LOVE it, but it is dedicated to the bike only. When it transfers to the car (very rarely), it is used solely as a GPS device.

I have the Zumo 550 with XM and LOVE it, but it is dedicated to the bike only. When it transfers to the car (very rarely), it is used solely as a GPS device.
Gunny. There's no good way to quickly remove the GXM-30 from the bike.
Sure there is: Skyway's reservoir mount. Two thumb screws and poof, it's off the bike and ready to drop on the dash. Less than 30 seconds.

Hey, tc, did you ever update the Yammy Dealer .gpx?