Garmin Zumo discount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmudder

Tim
Reaction score
For those of you looking for a new GPS Garmin is offering a discount. I don't know when it ends but it starts today & claims to be a March promo

SAVE UP TO $150 ON A ZŪMO® MOTORCYCLE NAVIGATOR

Don’t miss your chance to save big on the zūmo XT or zūmo 396 motorcycle navigators. Their bright and glove-friendly displays, rugged design and built-in maps lead the way to gnarly, road-gripping adventures.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/679804?u ... ARCH_PROMO

Wanna bet that this is a ploy to reduce old inventory in preparation for the release of the latest and greatest?
Garmin is the worst company ever for planned obsolescence and forced retirement of older units. Garmin has somewhere around 200 discontinued models which are not supported...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Garmin_products
I love my XT and hope to be able to get many more years out of it before Garmin Map Bloat or database format changes make it impossible to upload current maps. I have looked at others and it seems that Garmin is still the best game in town. IMHO, Smart Phones are a poor substitute - especially on a motorcycle.

RossKean I also love my XT I only wish they allowed for the TPS monitors to work with it as my Zumo 595 did. The brightness of the new XT screen makes up for its small short coming of TPS monitoring.

RossKean I also love my XT I only wish they allowed for the TPS monitors to work with it as my Zumo 595 did. The brightness of the new XT screen makes up for its small short coming of TPS monitoring.
I have an old Zumo 665 with "Lifetime Maps" which got to the point where the full North America mapset would no longer fit. I found a workaround for it but the difficulty in reading the DIM screen made the purchase of the XT to be an easy choice. From new, I found the 665 hard to see on a bright day - sunshade helps but not enough. (It remains a backup that I hope I'll not need to use.)

For anyone dithering about replacing an older Zumo, do it! The XT is really nice. Greg Rice did a great summary...
http://www.gregrice.com/zumoxt/zumoxt.html

I had/have the exact same thoughts about my 590, especially as I have four sensors split between two bikes. Never had any issues until one sensor recently stopped reporting and I'm now trying to figure out if it's a few bad batteries or the sensor itself is kaput. Between that and several real world positive reviews by others after using a variety of fairly inexpensive stand-alone TPMS' I'm now starting to re-think pulling the trigger on an upgrade when the time is right.

Palm Dr.

That is a service for fixing the issue of the Garmin maps being too big. I had extra memory installed in my 550, and it chugs right along.

Palm Dr.

That is a service for fixing the issue of the Garmin maps being too big. I had extra memory installed in my 550, and it chugs right along.
Palm Dr. has a good reputation and reasonable cost. There are also SD card workarounds that work at very low cost. It can be a bit complicated and I found I had to adjust the method some but managed to get it to work for my Zumo 665:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

Last edited:
For those of you looking for a new GPS Garmin is offering a discount. I don't know when it ends but it starts today & claims to be a March promo

Don’t miss your chance to save big on the zūmo XT or zūmo 396 motorcycle navigators. Their bright and glove-friendly displays, rugged design and built-in maps lead the way to gnarly, road-gripping adventures.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/679804?u ... ARCH_PROMO
Bought the smaller zumo with fork stem mount a few months ago from GPSCity.com for less than Garmin's discount price by the time the mount is added in. Looks like the XT is also offered at Garmin's discount price. https://www.gpscity.com/search/q=garmin+zumo

Yes, expect a new model to come out in a month or two. They are depleting older inventory first.

JMT, Dave

The website link to Garmin XT shows that it’s only $100 off, not $150.
Was it $150 and they changed it, or was it a typo?
Orig unit $499. Sale says $399.

I’m still running my zumo 550 on the FJR. Still able to update the maps loading them on my SD cards, as I described in the thread linked to above. Still using a Starcom wired headset. It still works, so why mess with it?

I still also have a zumo 660 too, which I use on my Africa Twin and XR650L, mostly because it has a stereo bluetooth profile, and use a bluetooth headset in the helmets I ride those bikes with. But most importantly, the 660 will display saved track logs. Most off-road “routes” are captured and shared as tracks, not routes.

I broke down and bought a zumo 396 a couple years ago when the price came way down on those. That has a nice display, lots of fancy new features, an even better bluetooth interface, and also displays track logs for off-roading. I only have the one bike cradle for that one, and have that cradle on my Bonneville, but have the car mount adapter so I can also use it in my Jeep. Fun taking the Jeep down some of the off-pavement tracks here in Vermont.

While Garmin doesn’t officially support their older models, they mostly still work with a little messing around.

I don't know if they are coming out with a new unit and I don't know if they are trying to clear out inventory. I have seen this $100 off "sale" of the XT every year a couple times a year. Generally before Christmas and then again just before summer. I always say I'm going to get one... then I wait a day too late and don't want to pay the extra $100. It's a cycle in my life... I know, I know.... I'm seeking therapy.

I always say I'm going to get one...
Just do it! The XT is very nice and even if a new model comes out, I doubt it will be a great leap ahead of the current model. To be honest, my Zumo 665 had (and has) all the functionality I needed once I figured out how to update maps to an SD card rather than the internal memory. However, since new, the 665 has had a screen that is difficult to read under bright daylight conditions - even using a sunshade. The XT is a pleasure by comparison, especially with my ageing eyes!

I may break down and get a new one soon, my 550 face is not waterproof anymore. The rubber around the buttons broke down. Maybe I can take the 450 and 550 and make a good one out of it.
I used this guy to repair the buttons on my old 550 and was very pleased with the result.
Chris Short, President
Short Tronics, INC.
Phone: 612/326-4364

I used this guy to repair the buttons on my old 550 and was very pleased with the result.
Chris Short, President
Short Tronics, INC.
Phone: 612/326-4364
Palm Dr. (referenced in post 6, above) also has a very good reputation. This is their page for the Zumo 450 550 (including pricing). They can also upgrade internal memory.
https://www.palmdr.com/cart/garmin-...e-p-368.html?zenid=0l1jc7ejua3tcj15e2o5j7ikj2
Prices seem to be reasonable but add up if you are looking to refurbish and upgrade memory - and still you have a GPS that is a dozen years old...
A couple of years ago, I considered having them see what they could do with the screen in my 665. They told me that a new screen MIGHT be a small improvement but they couldn't promise.
The base charge, new screen charge, mailing costs and the necessary memory upgrade added up to a significant total with no guarantee of better readability. I decided I would get the XT and keep the 665 as a backup. (I would have gone for the refurb if they could have guaranteed a much better screen.) Pleased with that decision - the XT is great.

Last edited:
Last year I retired my 550 and replaced it with the XT. It's blazing fast and I like it. I do miss that fact that it's wireless only. No provision for hard wiring. I'm also streaming a lot on my phone since there's also no provision for the ole XM antenna.

Wow. I'm just an old man.