Garmin Zumo discount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I retired my 550 and replaced it with the XT. It's blazing fast and I like it. I do miss that fact that it's wireless only. No provision for hard wiring. I'm also streaming a lot on my phone since there's also no provision for the ole XM antenna.

Wow. I'm just an old man.
What do you mean "wireless only"?

Last year I retired my 550 and replaced it with the XT. It's blazing fast and I like it. I do miss that fact that it's wireless only. No provision for hard wiring. I'm also streaming a lot on my phone since there's also no provision for the ole XM antenna.

Wow. I'm just an old man.

I'm struggling to verify whether this can be "hard wired" to the bike for power. On the site it says in the "in the box" comes the motorcycle power cable, which should work for it being wired to power when on the bike, right?

Yes & just remove from cradle when you want to use it anywhere else than the bike.
In the box:
  • zūmo XT
  • Motorcycle mount and hardware
  • Motorcycle power cable
  • USB cable
  • Documentation
Most do a hard wire to the bike but I have seen more recently where the power lead is just plugged into the SAE connector from a battery tender port making it easily transferable from one bike to another.
This video may help

Last edited:
Yes & just remove from cradle when you want to use it anywhere else than the bike.
In the box:
  • zūmo XT
  • Motorcycle mount and hardware
  • Motorcycle power cable
  • USB cable
  • Documentation
Most do a hard wire to the bike but I have seen more recently where the power lead is just plugged into the SAE connector from a battery tender port making it easily transferable from one bike to another.
This video may help

Super cool, thanks for the verification and the video link!

What do you mean "wireless only"?
There's no provision for audio out via a hard wire. It's Bluetooth only.

I suppose this is no big deal for most people. With a phone jack (audio out) I could connect my ear buds directly to the GPS without the need for a Sena or other helmet mounted communication. No can do with the XT.

There's no provision for audio out via a hard wire. It's Bluetooth only.

I suppose this is no big deal for most people. With a phone jack (audio out) I could connect my ear buds directly to the GPS without the need for a Sena or other helmet mounted communication. No can do with the XT.
It depends what you're looking for. I'm a wired earbuds guy with an mp3 player in my pocket. I do not use any "Sena or other helmet mounted communication " I purchased a very small Bluetooth receiver for $24 for XT listening. Works like a charm with the same earbuds! I'll see if I can find which one for you if you want. Easy setup, lasts all day on a charge, usb charging.

Never owned a GPS in my 58 years. Finally considering.
Maybe. I don't know. Probably. We'll see. 😁

They do little things that are quit nice, I love paper maps, Google Maps, writing down road names to explore and getting lost.
But...............................
They find Gas Stations.
They find Hospitals.
They find food.
They find Liquor stores.
Sometimes when you played late and some place out in the boonies they can get you to the Hotel you had reservations at.

They provide a compass to get lost with then will later route you back home. The Go Home feature on my Garmins is used more often than any other. I still carry paper maps as it's sometimes helpful to get the big picture view.

They do little things that are quit nice, I love paper maps, Google Maps, writing down road names to explore and getting lost.
But...............................
They find Gas Stations.
They find Hospitals.
They find food.
They find Liquor stores.
Sometimes when you played late and some place out in the boonies they can get you to the Hotel you had reservations at.
I was always under the impression you needed a PC to hook it to for updates and downloading stuff.
I understand that may not be the case, so I'm debating.

I was always under the impression you needed a PC to hook it to for updates and downloading stuff.
You can download updates via WiFi. Computer not needed but I use the computer since I have Basecamp on it and want to keep those maps updated as well. (I use Basecamp for complex routing.)

You can download updates via WiFi. Computer not needed but I use the computer since I have Basecamp on it and want to keep those maps updated as well. (I use Basecamp for complex routing.)
+1, using Base Camp on a computer for complex stuff is easy for me tho I understand others may find it cumbersome. I posted somewhere how to make a route on the device itself using a 595 as the device. Pretty straightforward with a little practice. The XT is similar but requires a little more diligence.

I understand that may not be the case, so I'm debating.
I use my PC for updates, never got into Basecamp as it seemed to complicated.

Hi @Panman you can find a nice video tutorial series of Basecamp on YouTube from EZ Moto Tim. Even if you are using the app already, he gives some good alternate suggestions to make working with it easier.

Thanks, old but always willing to look!
Yes, the videos are getting a bit old, but Garmin hasn’t changed their Bascamp software much over the past few years either. So, the vast majority of the content is still relevant.

Yeah I've never owned a PC. No home internet service, no wifi.
Just my telephone. I'm never home enough to justify the cost. And I loathe any monthly fees. 😊

Is your phone a smart phone with an data plan, or just a flip phone without it? If it is the former, you can most likely create a personal wifi hot spot with it, so you can update the XT. The updates are big, so they may use up a good portion of your monthly data allowance, but once or twice a year that may be acceptable.

New England Riders posted some VERY good tutorials on Basecamp. They take you through worked examples and they cover everything from basic routes to as complex as you want. Takes a couple of hours to get through to the point where you can use it well enough for most needs. After that, you can look at more advanced operation and PRACTICE.

https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
I probably need to do a refresher...