Garmin Zumo Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Tech Mount is pretty but way too spendy.
I have the drilled and tapped triple tree stem nut mount from Mr. Unmentionable (link above) - for my $21 it is perfect.
Is there any reason I cannot drill and tap the stem nut myself?
You can't tap the stem nut because it is to thin, However what I did was tap the stem itself. I figured I could use a diffrent nut and then use something like a expanding biycle stem to mount it to. However when I removed the nut I found the stem to be solid. Reason: It's aluminum. Nice to drill out and tap with a M6. I then drilled a BIG hole in the stem nut, and stacked up a couple washers so that the clamping force of the bolt holding the garmin was aginst the stem and not the stem nut. Used it on a ride to Chicago. If anyone has ridden in Chicago and they know how bad the roads are down there then you know this has worked pretty well.

The Tech Mount is pretty but way too spendy.
I have the drilled and tapped triple tree stem nut mount from Mr. Unmentionable (link above) - for my $21 it is perfect.
Is there any reason I cannot drill and tap the stem nut myself?
You can't tap the stem nut because it is to thin, However what I did was tap the stem itself. I figured I could use a diffrent nut and then use something like a expanding biycle stem to mount it to. However when I removed the nut I found the stem to be solid. Reason: It's aluminum. Nice to drill out and tap with a M6. I then drilled a BIG hole in the stem nut, and stacked up a couple washers so that the clamping force of the bolt holding the garmin was aginst the stem and not the stem nut. Used it on a ride to Chicago. If anyone has ridden in Chicago and they know how bad the roads are down there then you know this has worked pretty well.
Thanks....I was wondering how thin it really was. I'll take it off and take a look.

Torque that stem nut down, I noticed mine was coming loose after about 15K miles. I tightened it back down, and marked it with a permanent marker in relation to the triple-tree, so if it moves at all I have quick visual indicator.

Latest posts