Garmin Zumo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidan

Reaction score
Since so many forum members have recommended Garmin GPS' , I checked out thier site and came across the zumo , it looks quite trick , very rider friendly . Has any one used one?

It's brand new. I don't think it has even been released yet. See the GPS thread in the vendors section. Lots of good info there.

While the Zumo looks good, I am not so sure it's really any better for motorcycle applications than what is already out there. Some nice features, and some dumb ones also. More marketing than substance perhaps?

I would also look at the 27XX series and 376 GPS.

Circuit City has 'em. Dey be itty-bitty small, yo. Renew your bifocal 'script.
Actually that was one reason they caught my eye, I wear bifocals, but not on my sunglasses .

The screen looked a bit bigger than some of the others . Thanks for the tips guys.

2.8" w / 2.1 h That is a way small viewing area. Not for me. Don't want to take my eyes off the road for very long to view the GPS. Being that it is so small it might be a problem.

2.8" w / 2.1 h That is a way small viewing area. Not for me. Don't want to take my eyes off the road for very long to view the GPS. Being that it is so small it might be a problem.

MMM. not sure about that, the much loved 2730 has a screen size of 5.61 square inches, the Zumo is 5.88.

not sure about the 296/478 series, they only list the screen size as 3.8 diag...and forgot the equation to get sq.inches off this...

KM

Key display issues:

1. Display size - the Zumo's is smaller than either the 2720, 2730, 2820 or the 276c/376/378/478.

2. Resolution - 276c has double the pixels (and therefore higher resolution) of the Zumo and 30% more than the 2730.

3. Backlighting - the 2000 series (and possibly the Zumo - can't tell without opening one and they don't say) uses a flourescent tube that will yellow and dim over time. The 276/376/378/478 use white leds, which will not.

4. Technology - ask anyone who uses a 2000 series device to look at a 276 in direct sunlight. NO CONTEST. The 276 wins hands down. Period.

Now, if they'd only use a matte finish on the screen . . .

Zumo display: Display: 2.8” W x 2.1” H (3.5” diag.), 320 x 240 pixels; high bright sunlight-readable, UV-resistant, touch screen display

276c display: 3.8-inch diagonal, 480 x 320 pixel, 256-color TFT screen with adjustable LED backlight

2730 display: 3.8” diagonal WQVGA color, automotive-grade, sunlight-readable TFT display; 3.3” W x 1.7” H; 454 x 240 pixels

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I hope it's not too bad of a unit cuz I have one on pre-order. I picked it becuase it is XM compatible and I thought it would be good to have less clutter in the cockpit.

Note that you will need to buy the GXM-30 XM receiver as a separate option for radio and/or traffic - it will need to be mounted somewhere so that it has a sky view:

010-00423-00.jpg

https://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D00423%2D00

Is it just me of does the photo of the Zumo on Garmin's web site have the navigator on the RIGHT side of the bike, which makes left-handed operation 'difficult'?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me of does the photo of the Zumo on Garmin's web site have the navigator on the RIGHT side of the bike, which makes left-handed operation 'difficult'?

I guess "difficult" here might be subjective. It might in fact be easier to use on the right side, as the angle of view of your left hands fingers would be "quicker" to see, thus making button pushing faster with less time of your eyes off the road.

Of course the photo likely was done by an ad angency with know knowledge of motorcyles....

KM

Came across this video link posted on the Sport-Touring site:

In case anyone's interested.

My nephew works at a major Circuit City. He said they are scheduled to be in the CC mainstream distribution by November 15. CC expected selling price is $979.