Gas tank pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhlakerider

Reaction score
I have an 05 that I purchased last summer and when I fuel up there is lot of pressure release when I open the the filler cap, it doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold it still has a lot of pressure behind it. Not sure if this is the norm or if my vent line could be blocked.

Thanks for any insight to this issue.

Timely for me. Never had the issue before but something changed over this winter. On two long rides recently I had the 'spout' when opening the tank at the pumps and have been hearing more gurgling than usual. Thanks for saving us some time with the link Ross.

Be sure you haven't kinked the vent hose that goes down the left side of the frame, along with the overfill drain hose. That was my issue, discovered after rebuilding the cap vents didn't change anything..... Woulda been SO MUCH easier to find that kinked hose first!!!!

Worked on a mates 05 Californian import.

Had all sorts of fueling issues, turned out that a valve on the tank vent going to the canister was blocked.

Bike would start and run fine in the morning, started and ran horrible when left at the parking lot at work during the day.

I also have a Cali model (2007). I had a problem whenever the bike was parked in the sun on a hot day. I think the vaporizing fuel saturates the charcoal canister. When the bike is started, it draws air through the canister and the result is a disgustingly rich mixture as the absorbed fuel is returned to the engine. It always ran OK after 5 minutes or so. I ended out bypassing the canister and never had an issue after that.

I had a problem like this on my (very) old GPz750Turbo. It turned out that I got the two of the three hoses reversed. Check your routing, by schematic, it's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prob vent line or neck from the filler clogged, as noted above. I had the same symptom on my Eurojet, but it turned out to be charcoal slurry from the evap canister getting sucked into the tank and welding the fuel filter shut, causing the indefatigable fuel pump to pop it's own seal from from overpressure.