Gauge covers stained

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewinder

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my FJR back from the shop today after fluid changes. They splattered brake fluid over the instruments. Speedo, tach, and fuel gauges are all stained. Anyone had any luck removing a mess like this without replacing the instrument cluster?

Just got my FJR back from the shop today after fluid changes. They splattered brake fluid over the instruments. Speedo, tach, and fuel gauges are all stained. Anyone had any luck removing a mess like this without replacing the instrument cluster?
They said that they covered it; no way the stains were done by them. Looks like replacing the instruments runs close to $800 for the part.

More than likely the plastic is stained for good. Take it back to the dealer and politely explain the errors of their ways. They messed it up...they can fix it. If you don't get any satisfaction from the dealer, then begin moving up the food chain.

--G

1) Wash the instrument cluster thoroughly with Simple Green and a hose. It's necessary to get all the residual brake fluid and other such oils washed thoroughly away from the edges.

2) Use Novus #2 polish (from Harley or mc dealer) with a small wad of linen cloth and loads and loads and loads of elbow grease. You'll be there a while, but it WILL polish away.

You will be posting up in the dealer feedback section, won't you?
Unfortunately, the job was done by a small shop, not a dealer.
You should still post it there. That's shoddy stuff, and people should be aware of a place that doesn't stand behind their work.

By the way, I think Ashe is spot on (no pun intended) about the best way to fix it. If you can't find Novus #2 polish, you can use Meguiar's #17 Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner (which, to be honest, I think might work even better) and follow up with their # 10 Clear Plastic Polish. You can order that stuff on line here.

No business relationship with Meguair's.* Just a happy customer for these products.

[SIZE=8pt]* Well, except for being an extremely attractive and highly paid product model, of course.[/SIZE]

Boy, if they got brake fluid on your gauges, I'd wonder what the paint on your fairings and tank are going to look like in a few months.

You will be posting up in the dealer feedback section, won't you?
Unfortunately, the job was done by a small shop, not a dealer.
Before you clean anything take pictures and document the snot out of it and prepare to file a claim in court.

Then decide whether you want to try cleaning it or leave the evidence intact.