gauge reflection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbo

Reaction score
Just recently purchased a FJR AE and have trouble reading the gauges because of reflection. Any thoughts? Tinted shields, gauge hoods or don't care what the gauges say.....

+1 - A dash shelf helps a lot. Also, since I put a GPS on my dash shelf I can see my speed on the GPS and I rarely look all the way down to the instrument cluster.

Just spray a little of this on the gauge faces.

464651_front200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spray a little of this on the gauge faces.
464651_front200.jpg
av-7601.jpg
That response matches your avatar, ummm huh! :)

"+1 - A Dash shelf" most likely meant:

+1 means he agrees with the previously mentioned post. However, he should have used "Gunny" instead of +1.

The - was likely just separating the +1 from the words, "A dash shelf helps...."

But hey, I've been wrong before!

Last edited by a moderator:
But hey, I've been wrong before!
Pony, you carry a gun for a living. You can be wrong as often as you like and we're not gonna say anything about it. :whistle:

Garbo, congrats on the new toy! I have the 07 AE, but haven't really noticed a glare. Maybe it's my combo of UV sunglasses and UV shield. Together they give everything a funky purple halo... maybe that'll cancel out the glare for ya.

I think polarized lenses in glasses or sun glasses will cut that glare, but if you wear a plastic face shield with those glasses on, you will get some distortions when looking at things with reflections, like tar snakes in the road.

That was kinda dis-orienting for a little while, but i got over it, and the blue-green tar snakes in the road don't bother me anymore, and I can see my speedometer just fine.

How 'bout contact paper? I've seen both clear and opaque varieties. If not too opaque, it may knock out the reflection without significantly distorting the gauges. The clear stuff could perhaps be lightly sanded with fine sandpaper to achieve the desired level of anti-reflection.

Thanks all for the glare suggestions. Two back to back sunny days in Seattle may have caused me to overreact.

No problems with glare on my 07. I wonder if there might be an LCD contrast adjustment somewhere?