Gear indicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocnsanman

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, wonderful forum. Ok, so here's my question: Has anyone put a final gear indicator( in my case a 2009 fjr 5 speed) whether it be a gear index1-5 or LED light on their fjr. I only ask because I find my gouges hard to read in direct sunlight and sometimes I go searching for that non existent 6th gear. Just something I'd like to do. I had a HealTec on a Super Tenere that was ok but not really worth the effort of installation. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. Thanks to all you guys and gals that have made this forum one of the best!

The aftermarket gear indicators I've seen are LED, and I would think even harder to see in bright daylight than the LCD panel's built-in gear indicator.

The aftermarket gear indicators I've seen are LED, and I would think even harder to see in bright daylight than the LCD panel's built-in gear indicator.
Agreed. LCD on a Gen II isn't always visible under direct bright sunlight from the wrong angle but I find it generally quite readable under most conditions. If you wanted to put in a fifth gear light, it would be quite easy to access the switch (has "pads" that make contact for each of five gears plus neutral). Unfortunately, if the light is bright enough to see in full sunlight, it would be blinding at night.

I've used the HealTech gear indicator on a Super Ten as well. My experience was different from yours, it always worked, over 100k of use in conditions below freezing to well over 100F.

That said, you could try nushield They sell cut to fit kits for reasonable prices.

In my experience the fail-safe 5th gear indicator is the tachometer. If I glance at the tach when traveling at 70 mph, it will read 4000 rpm in 5th gear. If it reads 5000 rpm I'm in in 4th gear and forgot to shift that last time (because the FJR is so smooth and quiet, even with 184,000 miles on the odometer). As a result of familiarity, I can glance at the speedometer and the tachometer and know immediately what gear I'm in.

I have the Healtech Gi-pro on my 03abs in red led for many years and it works great.You can read it easy even in the brightest sunlight!Very happy with it! 😉🙂