Gear won't change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML-FJR13AE

Reaction score
Hey,

Here's a good one for you guys:

Two weeks a go I had a cam pulse sensor changed because a rodent of some kind have had it's fun with the wires to the sensor. Cost $300 (inlcuded Yam labor). Btw; I found out because it gave an error 12 on the LCD, which is for the crank shaft sensor and which wouldn't allow my bike to start at all. It started and drove fine though.

Then I had my tires changed and I took her for a spin (2006AE) of about 70-80 miles. Midway on my ride I found grease/oil all over my rear wheel. As so I took my rear wheel off only to find out the mechanic who put my tires on had used some kind of oil/thin grease on the inside of my wheel instead of a Lithium based. I cleaned it out and lubricated it my self again; since then (about 100 miles) I haven't had that problem.

Instead (and this is what it's all about): after putting the wheel back on I a made a suspension adjustment, fired up the bike.... And then it would not go into gear. (Remember this is an AE). It didn't matter if I tried to change by foot or with fingers on the handle bar. So, I started to look at all the wires I could find (thinking a rodent had been goofing around two weeks earlier). Hmmm, couldn't see anything wrong. After spending the entire weekend looking for the problem and speaking to an Yam mechanic I gave up. So, I decided to make sure the battery was fully charged and prepared to make arrangements to get it transported to the mechanic. As the battery was charging I decided to start the bike and try out the gear once more... And of course now it could change gear again!!!

The low battery level was enough to start the bike but not enough to change the gears !!! As soon as I unhooked it from the charger it would change gear.

Cool, cheap fix huh? - not so much. Today, I took the bike for a spin over to a buddy of mine. Almost there, stuck on the freeway in bumper to bumper in my 3rd gear; all the sudden the bike decided to change down to 1st all by it self and with no input from me at all. And you guessed it: i couldn't change gear at all again - not even to neutral!!!!

Well, smart as I thought I was, I had picked up a new battery on my way over to my friend. The old battery was 2.5 years old + whatever time it's been sitting before I bought the bike as new. Anyway, I strolled in 1st gear to my friends house, changed to the new battery,,,, and could still not change gear. Sure, a new battery is not fully charged, so, we hooked it up but as it was getting late and we were going to go to Vegas next day (tomorrow), I decided to call AAA and have the bike hauled home. Right now it's in the tender. I'll bet ya it will be able to change gear again in the morning when the battery is on full charge,,, but for how long?

What do yu think needs to be looked at? I'm thinking the alternator might not charge the battery (although I don't know). I tried starting the bike (I eventually got it in neutral) and went on and off the gas to see if the lights would get stronger/weaker accordingly but nothing seem to happen there.

Oh btw; this is good info: When changing with the foot (now when it won't change gear) I sometimes get a "SL_ _ 22" in the LCD Display. If that is error code 22 then that means my "Intake Air Temperature Sensor" has issues. But what the heck does that have to do with the gear and the bike should be able to run fine with Error 22 accoring to the service manual.

I'm mostly confused to why the bike can't change gear if the battery is down but there's enough power to fire up the bike????!

...I'm mostly confused to why the bike can't change gear if the battery is down but there's enough power to fire up the bike????!
Check connectors and all those earth "spiders" for corrosion. Sounds very electrical. Also use a voltmeter to measure battery voltage, mine trickle-charges the battery even at tick-over, so the light brightness is not a good guide.

And I'm pretty sure the gear change actuators take much less current than a starter motor.

It's worth checking all your fuses as well.

Hey,
Here's a good one for you guys:

Two weeks a go I had a cam pulse sensor changed because a rodent of some kind have had it's fun with the wires to the sensor. Cost $300 (inlcuded Yam labor). Btw; I found out because it gave an error 12 on the LCD, which is for the crank shaft sensor and which wouldn't allow my bike to start at all. It started and drove fine though.

Then I had my tires changed and I took her for a spin (2006AE) of about 70-80 miles. Midway on my ride I found grease/oil all over my rear wheel. As so I took my rear wheel off only to find out the mechanic who put my tires on had used some kind of oil/thin grease on the inside of my wheel instead of a Lithium based. I cleaned it out and lubricated it my self again; since then (about 100 miles) I haven't had that problem.

Instead (and this is what it's all about): after putting the wheel back on I a made a suspension adjustment, fired up the bike.... And then it would not go into gear. (Remember this is an AE). It didn't matter if I tried to change by foot or with fingers on the handle bar. So, I started to look at all the wires I could find (thinking a rodent had been goofing around two weeks earlier). Hmmm, couldn't see anything wrong. After spending the entire weekend looking for the problem and speaking to an Yam mechanic I gave up. So, I decided to make sure the battery was fully charged and prepared to make arrangements to get it transported to the mechanic. As the battery was charging I decided to start the bike and try out the gear once more... And of course now it could change gear again!!!

The low battery level was enough to start the bike but not enough to change the gears !!! As soon as I unhooked it from the charger it would change gear.

Cool, cheap fix huh? - not so much. Today, I took the bike for a spin over to a buddy of mine. Almost there, stuck on the freeway in bumper to bumper in my 3rd gear; all the sudden the bike decided to change down to 1st all by it self and with no input from me at all. And you guessed it: i couldn't change gear at all again - not even to neutral!!!!

Well, smart as I thought I was, I had picked up a new battery on my way over to my friend. The old battery was 2.5 years old + whatever time it's been sitting before I bought the bike as new. Anyway, I strolled in 1st gear to my friends house, changed to the new battery,,,, and could still not change gear. Sure, a new battery is not fully charged, so, we hooked it up but as it was getting late and we were going to go to Vegas next day (tomorrow), I decided to call AAA and have the bike hauled home. Right now it's in the tender. I'll bet ya it will be able to change gear again in the morning when the battery is on full charge,,, but for how long?

What do yu think needs to be looked at? I'm thinking the alternator might not charge the battery (although I don't know). I tried starting the bike (I eventually got it in neutral) and went on and off the gas to see if the lights would get stronger/weaker accordingly but nothing seem to happen there.

Oh btw; this is good info: When changing with the foot (now when it won't change gear) I sometimes get a "SL_ _ 22" in the LCD Display. If that is error code 22 then that means my "Intake Air Temperature Sensor" has issues. But what the heck does that have to do with the gear and the bike should be able to run fine with Error 22 accoring to the service manual.

I'm mostly confused to why the bike can't change gear if the battery is down but there's enough power to fire up the bike????!

I am having the same issue on my 2007 AE it started this summer and seems to be getting worse. I do not think it is related to the battery but have no proof. If the dealer or Yamaha finds the issue I will add another reply. Most of the time it happens at lower RPM's 2500 or below and never on an up shift. Two weeks ago the bike locked up in fourth gear and when I pulled over the clutch never disengauged and the the engine stalled. I turned the ignition key on and off about two or three times before I would let me down shift into first and un lock the clutch, shift warnign light did not come on untill the engine was just about to stall.

There is a solution- get an "A" model. Sorry, could not resist the bad joke. Good luck with solving this problem. Seems electrical in nature though.

Latest posts