Gell Seat Covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super d

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a gell type seat cover while I agonize over what seat I will finally by. If anyone has one or has ridden on one much I'd like to hear what you think about them, and if possible brands and types.

Got 'em. Hate 'em. Expensive and cumbersome. The don't work, either. If you gotta go cheap, try Airhawk. Otherwise, PM me and we can work a deal on my two gels.

I've got a 14" x 14" Airhawk pad and it's definitely better than stock. About $170 from www.cruisercustomizing.com (they'll pricematch) and worth it if you don't wanna go all the way to a custom seat. They're an air bladder manufactured by a company that's primary sales are medical cushions for wheelchairs.

Made it so that instead of feeling uncomfortable at 50 miles--I'm similarly uncomfortable at 100 miles.

But, I'm gonna plan on a custom seat this winter and figure the Airhawk becomes a very expensive cushion for football games.

Boys and Girls, just got my stock seat back from Sargent for a stock replacement of foam with their "SuperFoam". First class installation, looks totally stock and feels good from an initial sit. Just got back from out of town and will be gone for another week before I can test before my Iron Butt 1000 run on the 30th. I will give a full report after tested. If it works, this is the best $120 farkle yet. Best part yet, one week turnaround from the date is was dropped off to at my door. Talk to Bill at Sargent. First class work and friendly service.

I went to the local Yamy dealer and they had nothing in stock to look at, but one of the sales guys had an "Airhawk" he showed me off his bike and raved about it, but at $170 a pop x 2 + tax I might as well spring for the Sargent or Russell. Although it would be cool to have an Airhawk to switch back and forth from the Connie to the KLR.

8+ hour days on the stock FJR seat are somewhat tough on me as I have done it several times with a 2-day ride coming up this weekend (Soap Lake Lava Run, Wa State) and it gets a little miserable by the end of the day.

Thanks for all the info, and if anyone wants to sell a 14x14-18" Airhawk, let me know! I'd like to know how well the sheepskin works too, as they work great in my truck. :D

My buddy had a gel seat on his Duke and he hated it. Apparently, the SoCal sun would heat it up during the day and it would burn his arse the whole ride home from work. It got to the point where he always had a towel with him to cover it when he parked, or he took the whole seat off and kept it in his A/C office.

Todd

FLRoadKing,

What did you have done? Super Cell Widen and the Dish? If so how do you like it so far. For me I am 6' 200lbs and the seat is way to soft. After only 15 minutes or so the pressure on my butt bone is terrible. :angry:

Thanks,

Gene

My imagination tells me that riding a gel would feel like riding with a load in your shorts :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have a gel pad built into my lowered stock seat, I have had no complaints.

It isn't any hotter than stock, and it doesn't "feel like riding with a load in your shorts".

The best thing I can say about it is that I don't notice it after a long ride. My dream seat would be a Russell Day Long with a gel pad in it. I'm 220 lbs. and needed the gel to prevent bottoming out in my lowered seat.

Since I have a gel pad built into my lowered stock seat, I have had no complaints.It isn't any hotter than stock, and it doesn't "feel like riding with a load in your shorts".

The best thing I can say about it is that I don't notice it after a long ride. My dream seat would be a Russell Day Long with a gel pad in it. I'm 220 lbs. and needed the gel to prevent bottoming out in my lowered seat.
I was thinking of doing this very thing! Did you do it yourself? If you did how much of a pita was it? JB