Gen 1 vs Gen2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsdpoet

Reaction score
looking at an 07 with 47k and an 05 with 26k.
Both in good shape but the 05 is about $500 less than the 07...is there that much difference between the two and is the difference in price significant?
Thanks for any input.

Start here for model differences

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjr1300-model-comparison-matrix.181562//
Is the '05 an ABS model and does the rear ABS still work? Gen I has some issues with excessive heat and some were "tickers". Do a search.
Early Gen II had issues with a snatchy throttle at low opening and some electrical grounding issues. Not awful - I put almost 300,000 km on my '07 without any serious issues.

Last edited:
Though I sold my FJR, I check in the forum once in a while. There's a significant issue with engine heat baking your legs and causing the tank to get extra warm with the Gen 1. In the summer it's a piain, especially in stop and go traffic. There were some creative fixes and "how to's" posted up on this forum back in the day. Consensus was that they did help some, but I never got around to doing it. The heat issue is great when riding in cooler temps though...
From what I understood, most Gen 1's loose the anti lock function on their rear brake. The problem is the ABS block, a very expensive part if you can even get it. I know mine failed. When I posted the issue, many were surprised that my rear ABS lasted as long as it did. It became the cause of an accident for me later on when I grabbed too much rear brake while cornering.

The 07 is a beautiful dark red (which I love) vs the 05 is boring blue.

However, the 06 and 07 were famous for jerky throttle response, and need a tamer or a flash, or ??? Possible Jbox recall too. 08 and up were smoother.

I like the Gen 1s... 03 - 05 for being great out of the box. No major probs with any of the Gen1s.

Ask if any of the valve checks (or other maintenance ) have been done... because they are both due @ 26k and 52k.

Disclaimer: I bought one of the first batch of Gen 1 in North America and estimate I've spent upwards of 3,000 happy hours aboard her. So my perceptions might be biased -- but I have spent some time around later Gen Is and Gen IIs. My brother has a 2007.

The original versions struck a fine balance between Sport and Touring. For a big bike, they are still remarkably quick and nimble. For a sport bike, they are remarkably comfortable. They are not the fastest bike -- but they are close. They are not the best handling bike, but they are close. They are not the most comfortable bike, but they are close. They are, IMHO, one of if not the best all-round motorcycles ever.

Since then, Yamaha has drifted further and further from the Sport side. The line got heavier and slower but more comfortable and complicated. Some changes were definite improvements -- better cooling of both bike and rider. Adjustable seat and handlebars. Windshield angle. Others were completely unnecessary and detracted from the original: longer swingarm, ABS, linked brakes, automatic clutch, 6th gear, cruise control etc.

Not everybody will agree with that assessment. Some people will vehemently disagree. My opinion is guided by my preferences, so the choice depends a lot on yours.

Don't get me wrong -- both generations are nice machines. My brother likes his 07 as much as I like mine and if I didn't have a Gen I, I could learn to live with his, except for the brakes. Yes, it had a jerky throttle response coming off idle (Yamaha changed the throttle ramp from the original Gen I) -- but that was quickly corrected with a simple (and free) Barbarian Jumper mod to fatten the idle mix +5 across all cylinders and a fresh set of Iridium plugs. Smooth as silk now. The only thing I really don't like about it is the ABS/Linked Brakes -- I'd probably find a way to disable and remove that crutch.

I could learn to live with his, except for the brakes.
I can't think of a single instance where the linked brakes took me by surprise or were even noticed much in anything from trail braking to a panic stop. With respect to the touchy throttle, I bought my low-mileage '07 and it came with a "Power Commander" the original owner installed to address the lean fueling at low throttle openings. I removed the PC because of the effect it had on fuel mileage and got used to its behavior in pretty short order. I will admit that my 2011 is better behaved...

I can't think of a single instance where the linked brakes took me by surprise or were even noticed much in anything from trail braking to a panic stop.

It became the cause of an accident for me later on when I grabbed too much rear brake while cornering.

ABS and linked brakes are two separate functions, but in the 2007 FJR, the two were inseparable and not optional. But personally (and controversially) I don't want either, although I will admit that a rider of average skill in typical conditions will probably not find them an issue, and a less skilled rider may well benefit.

In the case of linked brakes, the case is simple: I have been known to get caught in borderline conditions like freezing rain and all too frequently encounter situations like a downhill grade in loose gravel. I want precise control over which wheel gets how much braking.

The benefit of linked brakes is in an emergency situation, where a less skilled rider might just mash the rear and forget the front as his (or her) right hand clamps down in a death grip by reflex. With linked brakes, that rider gets at least some front brake action in that moment of crisis.

But I maintain it is better to train the rider to use the front brake in the first place (maximizing braking ability in an emergency), and ride with one or two fingers on the brake lever to reduce reaction time instead of relying on that crutch. My fear is that even an experienced rider could allow skills to degrade as the machine conditions them to rely on the crutch during normal riding.

The case against ABS is slightly more complicated. In an automobile, ABS is not a braking aid, it is a steering aid, preventing the wheels from locking up to facilitate maneuvering. The driver simply mashes the brake pedal and let's the computer worry about feathering the brakes. Studies have shown that while minimum braking distances in poor traction situations increase over locking up the wheels, collisions are less likely due to the ability to steer.

On a motorcycle, ABS is of little value for steering. The benefit is in allowing the rider confidence he (or she) can mash the brakes without losing traction in a straight-line emergency stop.

Studies have shown that most average riders will under-brake in slippery conditions (eg: wet roads) due to the fear of dropping the bike. An inexperienced rider with ABS can often stop in less distance than an experienced rider without ABS because the latter initially under-brakes out of an abundance of caution.

So ABS may be -- or even probably will be -- of benefit in a straight-line emergency stop.

However, unlike cars, motorcycles lean into turns. At that point rotational acceleration is not the only force acting on total traction. The computer has no way of calculating the amount of traction remaining for deceleration after the traction of cornering is subtracted. It is entirely possible to slide out due to loss of overall traction with the wheels still spinning and ABS unactivated.

I believe the above is less likely if the rider is skilled at threshold braking manually rather than accustomed to just mashing the brakes and letting the computer work out the details.

I don't want to put words in garyahouse's mouth, but I have to wonder if the results would have been different if he was not expecting -- in fact, conditioned to expect -- the ABS to handle the details when he had his accident.

But that's just my opinion. As I said, Yamaha has shifted the balance from sport to touring over the years. They were responding to market demand, so my opinion is probably in the minority among FJR riders. I never saw the need for a 6th gear or an electric clutch either.

ABS and linked brakes are two separate functions, but in the 2007 FJR, the two were inseparable and not optional. But personally (and controversially) I don't want either, although I will admit that a rider of average skill in typical conditions will probably not find them an issue, and a less skilled rider may well benefit.
With respect to the linked brakes, I don't disagree with your assessment - I just don't think I have personally encountered a situation where the presence (or absence) of linked brakes would have made any difference. I would be just as happy without the linked brake feature but wouldn't attempt to disable it. There is no doubt that there could be conditions where you might not want ANY front braking (your loose gravel or freezing rain scenarios) even though it might be far less than the rear brake action. I understand that the big advantage of a linked brake is to save the bacon of an inexperienced rider who mashes the rear brake and gains some benefit of front brake action. (There is a distressingly large number of riders who go through three sets of rear brake pads without replacing any front pads.)
Note: If the ABS is invoked on the rear wheel, it will be simultaneously invoked on that lower right caliper...

Regarding ABS, I don't think I would choose a street motorcycle without it. While I would like to think my riding and braking skills are good, there will always be a time when the road surface offers less traction than expected - black ice, sand or mud. With even a modest application of brake, you can go down faster than any possible reaction speed. (Perhaps ABS wouldn't save you but it could help.) I won't dispute that under ideal conditions an experienced rider can stop faster with non-ABS than with ABS but emergency braking is seldom done under ideal conditions with the rider able to anticipate the loss of traction.

As you say, the choice is controversial but ABS is my preference on the street. The prospective buyer has to know and understand the differences between model years and make their own decision. For off-road, I would want to be able to turn off ABS.
(We won't even enter into a discussion on traction control systems present in newer models...)

No one has mentioned that Gen I is more svelte in the tank area - better for people with short legs. Gen II+ is like a straddling a barrel.

Perhaps that is because the seat totally sucks! Way more uncomfortable than the Gen II+,