• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen 2 clutch slave cylinder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
In 2007 changed oem clutch slave to 2007 for easier clutch pull. Now the clutch plates have worn a bit, inadequate throw for full disengagement. 

Can't find the one I took off, of course.

If you have one KrZy8 will Thank You.

I will “pay it forward” with the one I have. 

PM me your shipping address and it’s yours. 

UPDATE - I found mine! 

Thank you SLK50 for the offer.. 😀😀

If mine is FUBAR I'll post again looking for one.

Should know in an hour..

-dCarver

Seems to me that worn clutch plates should make for a shorter clutch throw before they disengage not a longer one. {or maybe I got this all backwards, LOL}

Perhaps the parts in your lever have worn down some so your not getting the throw you used to.

I had this happen to me.

To get more "throw" again I had to go to the where the pin [rod it's called in the Yamaha diagram of the clutch and master cyl}  goes into a hole in the sleeve. It seems hokey, but I just took a small piece of aluminum foil, wadded it up and stuffed it in that hole. The pin still went in the hole far enough that it wouldn't slip out or bend. That moved the clutch lever out further from the bar and gave it a longer "throw". It's been like that for a year or two now. 

Of course the old 07 slave cylinder will also give you more "throw" but then you go back to a harder pull on the clutch lever. 

Have you checked the little brass bushing in the clutch lever?  When it's worn out it gives the same "won't disengage fully" symptom.

^^^  Good point - Don, have you checked the condition of the brass bushing in the clutch lever that the actuating pin goes into?  Due to age (and/or maintenance lack), I have seen these terribly worn.  In one case, I saw one where the hole went through to the other side.  (Mine gets an annual clean and grease)

Edit: I was writing as rbentnail was posting.

Have you checked the little brass bushing in the clutch lever?  When it's worn out it gives the same "won't disengage fully" symptom.
I have, it's in great shape. Serviced 2x yearly.

Seems to me that worn clutch plates should make for a shorter clutch throw before they disengage not a longer one. {or maybe I got this all backwards, LOL}

Perhaps the parts in your lever have worn down some so your not getting the throw you used to.

I had this happen to me.

To get more "throw" again I had to go to the where the pin [rod it's called in the Yamaha diagram of the clutch and master cyl}  goes into a hole in the sleeve. It seems hokey, but I just took a small piece of aluminum foil, wadded it up and stuffed it in that hole. The pin still went in the hole far enough that it wouldn't slip out or bend. That moved the clutch lever out further from the bar and gave it a longer "throw". It's been like that for a year or two now. 

Of course the old 07 slave cylinder will also give you more "throw" but then you go back to a harder pull on the clutch lever. 
Interesting idea to use a 'shim' made of tin foil. I was thinking a small ball bearing but your idea is KISS. Not sure about longer or shorter with clutch plate wear.

^^^  Good point - Don, have you checked the condition of the brass bushing in the clutch lever that the actuating pin goes into?  Due to age (and/or maintenance lack), I have seen these terribly worn.  In one case, I saw one where the hole went through to the other side.  (Mine gets an annual clean and grease)

Edit: I was writing as rbentnail was posting.
Gen 2 clutch slave cylinder installed. Can't really tell that much difference in pull or throw. Bled the heck out of it, still had ~2mm of lever slop before 'firm'. One good ride with  lots of clutching and vibration cleared it right up. Lever now firm from git-go. Pull difference between slave cylinders about the same as grabbing clutch lever at end vs. middle.

Here's the cylinder  dimensions -

Gen 2 - 29.6 mm od
Gen 1 - 33.5 mm od

It's interesting that the 2013 engages at about 50% of travel.

The 2006 is more like 70% of travel.

What would cause that?

I went with Pazzo levers for the lack of travel to disengage, the slave diameter is smaller on the 06 & 07 pushing more fluid on the clutch rod.

I'm not sure about the 3rd get, I put a 05 slave on mine.