Gen 2 , Gen 3 Saddlebag Question.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mod1217

Reaction score
I'm in the process of repainting my saddlebags and would really want to replace the rubber trim of the Gen 2 to chrome of Gen 3 and was wondering if the Gen 2 saddlebag is the same as Gen 3 except for the trimming?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The difference is that the chrome Gen3 strip has tiny allen screws going through the inside of the lid holding the chrome strip in place. The earlier black rubber strips glue in place.

Another difference is that the little $9 Yamaha sticker usually remains stuck to the black rubber piece but always falls off the chrome piece.

I did remove the rubber trim already and did saw a place where the screw you are talking about is located (but in the Gen 2 there is just a dimple where I believe the screw hole is located). I believe finding the bolt that would fit the Gen 3 trim would not be that hard the only question I have right now is that does the screw extend all the way to the plastic liner of the lid or does it just ends in the shell of the cover?

Screws [3] go through both pieces of the bag lid. There is also a black plastic bezel / washer for each screw head. I'd search your local hardware store for suitable fasteners.

Good luck!

~G

Screws [3] go through both pieces of the bag lid. There is also a black plastic bezel / washer for each screw head. I'd search your local hardware store for suitable fasteners.
Good luck!

~G
The man with the unbelievably clean FJR speaks the truth. There are 3, very small allen head screws. And yes, they do go all the way through from the inside of the lid.

Funny, when I first got my 3rd Gen I wanted to switch from the chromish looking ones back to black. But then I got over it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, that's just Crazy Talk. Why would anyone want to do that?

Seriously, on the Red '14 I think the chrome looks perfect. On the Ass-Fault Gray '15 the chrome is...iffy. In my case the ES with its blacked out forks and the subtle black touches I have added really needed to lose the chrome.

I did have to PM Garauld to find what adhesive he recommended. Black RTV btw.

Met my son and daughter in law this past weekend for breakfast. They, on my old 05, us on my shiny pink 14.

Before I sold the exoerienced 05 to him (for a song) I had sprayed the bottom half of the two saddlebags with PlastiDip to cover up the heinous scratches caused by 10 years of flopping it down. Surprisingly, those bags still look as good as the day I sprayed them!

The takeaways here are that my son, even at his handicap of years, is better than I at preventing flopping an 05 FJR, and also that the PlastiDip seems to hold up far better than one might expect. Id give that shit a go for the low cost of admission.

Met my son and daughter in law this past weekend for breakfast. They, on my old 05, us on my shiny pink 14.

Before I sold the exoerienced 05 to him (for a song) I had sprayed the bottom half of the two saddlebags with PlastiDip to cover up the heinous scratches caused by 10 years of flopping it down. Surprisingly, those bags still look as good as the day I sprayed them!

Fred, that's just Crazy Talk. Why would anyone want to do that?

Seriously, on the Red '14 I think the chrome looks perfect. On the Ass-Fault Gray '15 the chrome is...iffy. In my case the ES with its blacked out forks and the subtle black touches I have added really needed to lose the chrome.

I did have to PM Garauld to find what adhesive he recommended. Black RTV btw.
I too don't really like the chrome on the gray bags but I just do not like the matte black rubber that Yami put in there I wish they put a gloss black trim instead of the matte one

The takeaways here are that my son, even at his handicap of years, is better than I at preventing flopping an 05 FJR, and also that the PlastiDip seems to hold up far better than one might expect. Id give that shit a go for the low cost of admission.
I was thinking of doing PlasticDip at first but I really like the color of the bags and how it matches the bike so I just went and get the Colorite Spray package instead. By the way the Colorite does match the dark gray spot on but one can of color just barely cover both bags doing 2 coats of color for each, so to anyone that is interested in going this route I would suggest ordering 2 cans of color just to play it safe, one can of Primer, and Topcoat is enough for both bags with a lot to spare.

Oh and I did remove the red reflector that Yami was forced to stick on our saddlebags because of regulation. That thing really bugs me and I have mine remove the moment the bike entered my garage from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just making sure you are aware, the "chrome" is actually a chrome covered piece of plastic that feels metal unless you lay the bike over and slide it down the road:

Don't do that if you can help it.

The black insert is actually soft rubber. No way to make that glossy. I ordered the black ones for the '07 FJR but anything '12 or earlier would do. I considered painting or Plasti-dipping the chrome ones but wanted the dull look for this application.

Is this really a subject worth discussing? If you do not like the badges do want you want to please yourself. If you like the Gen III badges make sure you glue them well or they will fall off. Just a pricks thoughts.
fool.gif

Is this really a subject worth discussing? If you do not like the badges do want you want to please yourself. If you like the Gen III badges make sure you glue them well or they will fall off. Just a pricks thoughts.
fool.gif
I am agreeing with your last sentence. What is wrong with you?

The OP asked a question about an FJR saddlebag. He is wanting to make a change and requested information. A few of us supplied that information. This is an FJR forum which is THE source for information. The saddlebag construction may be simple as compared to a throttle body sync but it is still a technical question worth answering.

Thank you guys for all the help, you did not just answer the question you also shared information on the difference between the two trimming which helps a lot in my decision. I did go with the old trimming instead of the chrome one since I saw the grey one that Mr. Gone Fishing posted with the chrome trimming and decided you guys are right that it does not really go with the grey one.