Gen 2 vs Gen 3 plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistrick

Reaction score
I ordered spark plugs for my 2015 from notes I had on my 07.. Apparently the gen 3 has a different plug type.. Some where on another thread it was suggested that this was just a Euro4/5 thing and that old CR8E plugs would work just fine...Is this true or do I need to order a set of the newer CPR8EA9 plugs...

thanks in advance

Dan

There was a thread a while ago about using CR8EIX Iridium plugs in a Gen III engine since the new spec plugs were not available in iridium. Seems some people had some success but don't know if i would try. At least it looks like they never blew anything up.

Plug Discussion - Link

Note: Queensland Ken who recommended the CR8EIX passed away a few years ago...

There's information on the Tenere forum regarding Iridium versions of the Tenere plugs, similar to FJR GEN III plugs. Apparently they can be sourced from Japan Spark Plugs.

~G

Was asking about the different model STANDARD plugs Gen 2 vs Gen 3 not interested in iridium plugs

Was asking about the different model STANDARD plugs Gen 2 vs Gen 3 not interested in iridium plugs
This was the only discussion thread I remember about this. The essential point of the thread I linked was the fact that the CR8E specification plug APPARENTLY works OK in place of the specified plug. I also mentioned that I would probably not do it...
I figure that Yamaha engineers know more about engines and sparkplugs than I do. Even if there is no physical interference, I would feel pretty dumb if the electrodes melted and ruined a piston/cylinder or I encountered poor performance and carboned-up valves because plug did not deliver the proper spark in the right place. Nobody outside of Yamaha can give you anything other than an opinion which might be worth about what you pay for it.

Latest posts