Gen 3 ES Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to be able to customize the suspension. I would actually go with a progressive spring on the rear. I don't need to quicken the steering since this after all a sport touring motorcycle.

I thought (from your avatar) that maybe you wanted to make the bike handling sportier (aka stiffer). Why exactly would you want to put a progressive spring on the rear? What would that do for you?

And, what would you hope to accomplish with your suspension customization? More specifically: what part of the performance of ES rear suspension do you dislike?

I'm not being argumentative here. I am really asking.

I owns 16 ES and I really like the electronic adjustability. I still would like to re-valve and re-spring the shock. That would be ideal. Shock is to undersprung for my tastes.
have you tried the 1 plus bags preload, does that help any ?? what stiffness setting are you running ??

i only have had my 16es a couple weeks now, but without loaded bags, it makes a difference.

Has anyone yet felt a need to rebuild your ES Suspension?
We (OK - Allen and RaYzerman) were gonna rebuild AllenC's (ES) forks at Tech Day the week before EOM but nobody had the gizmo to compress the fork springs so that was a no-go. Griff is hosting a Tech Day in a month or so and they're gonna do his (ES) forks at that time.

By "rebuild" I assume you mean replace the bushings, seals and suspension oil? Or was there some other parts being upgraded?

How did he know they needed it? Or is this just a PM based on high mileage?

Last edited by a moderator:
By "rebuild" I assume you mean replace the bushings, seals and suspension oil? Or was there some other parts being upgraded?
Maybe rebuild wasn't the correct term. How aboot "service?" I know the erl was gonna be replaced - not sure aboot the rest of the doo-dads in there.

How did he know they needed it? Or is this just a PM based on high mileage?
AFAIK, it was just PM based on mileage.

The original poster needs to Edit the title of this thread to read Gen III ES Suspension
Newbies don't have this permission. We're all expected to do our best when creating thread titles to summarize the thread. The title wasn't bad initially as we have some newbies (and veterans) that want to title, "Quick Question About My Bike".

Regardless, I tweaked it as a courtesy.

The original poster needs to Edit the title of this thread to read Gen III ES Suspension
Newbies don't have this permission. We're all expected to do our best when creating thread titles to summarize the thread. The title wasn't bad initially as we have some newbies (and veterans) that want to title, "Quick Question About My Bike".
Regardless, I tweaked it as a courtesy.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gen 3 suspension has over 44,000 miles. Still works great.

Went for 2,300 miles over 3 days in the BMRx last month, two-up, luggage, changing from STD (freeways) to HARD (for the littler roadways). Been riding in one-up, no luggage, SOFT for the past few days. Why not? I can, so I will.

No problems to report with the suspension. Every now and then, my gear indicator decides 5th gear isn't worth indicating, but I've adjusted.

By the way, I don't speak or count in Roman, so my bike is a Gen 3.

I owns 16 ES and I really like the electronic adjustability. I still would like to re-valve and re-spring the shock. That would be ideal. Shock is to undersprung for my tastes.
I'm curious to know more specifics about the damping to see if there's a solution. I've had various discussions with ES owners, and I think an objective approach with more data should help to arrive at better conclusions. The undersprung thing is coming to the forefront with those who are a bit heavier, and have heard that damping front to rear is a concern..... when rear damping is set to "OK" the forks are not damped enough?? Would like to hear more from those with damping concerns and what they are. Too bad they could not be adjusted independently, but one is sorta stuck with the formula Yamaha put together.

One might be able to re-index the stepper motors, that way rear could be rebalanced to front, and if this works, also be able to rebalance fork compression and rebound. I think that would be very interesting and a great improvement if it is possible. Maybe we'll find out the Yamaha formula is OK, who knows. Of course, would take some experimentation over time/conditions. Unfortunately, I don't have an ES or this little project would have been underway already. I am due to refresh some ES forks at an upcoming tech day, and we'll try to determine if re-indexing is possible. The FSM gives no info on the fork stepper motors, but the replacement procedure for the rear stepper motor gives some clues it is possible back there. I did make a preliminary attempt to disassemble an ES fork cap, but didn't have the appropriate tools at the time. Looks like it can come apart, but to replace a fork stepper motor, you buy the whole cap (~$331 Partzilla). FYI, top cap is 44mm (45 mm wrench) and stepper motor is 36mm, and they are snuggly together.

Anyhow, I plan to take photos and measurements, will post up the ES fork service in a separate thread. Meanwhile, what are the damping concerns?