Gen 3 or 4?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a tough one. I have a 4th gen and I like it, however you will pay more. If you want a 6th gear, LED lighting, lighter clutch pull and a bit newer bike, then pay the extra, otherwise get a Gen 3. It just depends if you think it is worth the extra cash. I like those features on the 4th. I do notice drivers pay more attention to me because of my lights, I feel safer than I did on my old bike. If you decide to get a 4th just be sure the transmission recall has been handled.

Last edited:
Agree with sloppy, particularly if you go out at night. The LED lights are night and day better than the halogens. Sixth gear? Noticeable lower revs cruising, maybe a little better fuel consumption, but not worth paying lots of money for.

Hi all. I have a gen 2 2007 and i'm looking at a newer one. Gen 3 or 4? Advice please.
Thanks in advance.:unsure:
I will suggest you buy Gen 4. One of my best has gen 4 and I got a chance to ride it is was good and fantastic loved it

If you go with Gen 3, look for 2014 or 2015 if cruise control speed maximum means anything. 2013 has 80 mph upper limit, 2014 & 2015 has 100 mph upper limit. Otherwise, except for color all three years are identical ("A" models).

Dan

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback. I'm inclining towards a Gen.4, but I was advised not to get one because of the fuel setting which is very lean. My 2007 had this problem, which I remedied with Power Commander. This made a huge difference for the better. I don't want a repeat of this.

I'm inclining towards a Gen.4, but I was advised not to get one because of the fuel setting which is very lean.
Not a complaint I have heard about Gen III or IV. There was a post recall (transmission fix) ECU flash issue related to rev limiter in 2nd gear (I think) for the 6-gear bikes. It was addressed by a re-flash, IIRC. After your 2007, I don't think you will have any issues with fuel mapping.

UPDATE : Yes, new(well, new to me) FJR. Three days ago I traded in my 07 for a 2018 AE with 22000km on the clock. What a difference! The clutch and gearchange is a revelation. Very smooth engine, getting her up on the centrestand is much easier, fitting the FZ1 mirrors was also less difficult, the plastic of the dashboard is much easier to remove.
So far I've added a navigator cradle, a topbox,Grip Puppies, transponder holder for motorways, Leo Vince titanium slipons, fender extender, coming soon a tall screen(the standard one is crap!). The colour scheme is the purple-blue and black. Some questions : I'm not convinced by the quality of the paint, the dealer said that it scrapes very easily. I'm thinking of going to the local bodyshop to get some kind of transparent layer applied, does anyone on the forum have any suggestions? Also, in the category of "don't need it, but want it", has anyone added a quickshifter? I've only driven a few hundred kms, so it's a bit early to think about Ivan's flash. I did a search, and I haven't seen any reference to a Gen 4 reflash.
Thanks in advance for replies.

Congrats on the new (to you) '18! As far as paint protection, sounds like you got the matte blue? Call around your area and ask about paint protection film. An experienced shop could apply it to higher touch areas you're concerned about. Make sure you ask about matte paint. Don't know what impact that has with PPF application.

Enjoy the new scoot!

~G

UPDATE : Yes, new(well, new to me) FJR. Three days ago I traded in my 07 for a 2018 AE with 22000km on the clock. What a difference! The clutch and gearchange is a revelation. Very smooth engine, getting her up on the centrestand is much easier, fitting the FZ1 mirrors was also less difficult, the plastic of the dashboard is much easier to remove.
So far I've added a navigator cradle, a topbox,Grip Puppies, transponder holder for motorways, Leo Vince titanium slipons, fender extender, coming soon a tall screen(the standard one is crap!). The colour scheme is the purple-blue and black. Some questions : I'm not convinced by the quality of the paint, the dealer said that it scrapes very easily. I'm thinking of going to the local bodyshop to get some kind of transparent layer applied, does anyone on the forum have any suggestions? Also, in the category of "don't need it, but want it", has anyone added a quickshifter? I've only driven a few hundred kms, so it's a bit early to think about Ivan's flash. I did a search, and I haven't seen any reference to a Gen 4 reflash.
Thanks in advance for replies.
Many here have Ivan’s ECU flash. We went to his shop then headed straight to the tail of the dragon.

Just my 2 cents... I avoided an '016 and up. I don't trust dealers to get the 2nd gear recall right. Unless you find one that has had the recall done and logged several thousand miles afterward.

I also don't like extremely low mileage bikes. Seals and gaskets dry up, fuel systems get funked up, tires dry rot, etc. The bike may have sat for years, not good. There's a guy who picked up a 15 year old bike with like 1,800 miles on it and now he's having all sorts of issues. Rusty tank, clogged fuel pump, leaking gasket, etc. I'll take an 8 year old bike with 20K miles on it any day.

Again, just my opinion.

Just my 2 cents... I avoided an '016 and up. I don't trust dealers to get the 2nd gear recall right. Unless you find one that has had the recall done and logged several thousand miles afterward.

I also don't like extremely low mileage bikes. Seals and gaskets dry up, fuel systems get funked up, tires dry rot, etc. The bike may have sat for years, not good. There's a guy who picked up a 15 year old bike with like 1,800 miles on it and now he's having all sorts of issues. Rusty tank, clogged fuel pump, leaking gasket, etc. I'll take an 8 year old bike with 20K miles on it any day.

Again, just my opinion.
I had the 2nd gear repair on my 2017 ES, absolutely no problems what so ever. Probably over 10,000 kms on the clock since done, no leaks, no noises, nothing.

3 Drive modes? Tell me more...

Ahamay, I don't know about getting it to Australia, but in the US we have Ivan doing flashes of the ECU. http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ecu.htm

The result is smoother shifts, better overall performance, a 3rd Drive mode (kinda semi-sporty) and eliminate the upper-end limit on CC.

Check him out to learn more, but I recommend it to most folks. As always, (closed course only) YMMV