Gen 3 Spider bite?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biquer

Reaction score
My 2015 with under 90,000 miles threw up an Error code number 89, which is a loss of comms between the dash and the ECU. When I went into the Diagnostics the ECU was not there. The bike could run, the dash was powered/illuminated, but there was no speedo or any other data and the rhs screen only showed the fault code. I started by removing the cowling and checking every connector in there, they were all clean and shiny. I then went under the tank and started checking the connectors above and forward of the engine, and found a lot of corroded and dirty connectors. I previously had a nightmare with the spiders on my 2008, ending up with a new loom, and I didn't like the look of these either, see photos.
They've obviously not been electrically stressed or burnt as a Gen 2 would be, but still not good. I cleaned all of the connectors in that area and the fault code went away, all is now good again.

I had a look to see why the connectors in that area were corroded and rough looking. I do commute and my bikes do sit outside all day. Looking at the front of the bike there is an obvious gap above the radiator where wind and rain could get in there. I checked my 2008 and its the same, so could someone tell me:
  • Is there something missing on my bikes, like a cover or flap to block that gap? Or
  • If I fit a rubber flap will it have an adverse effect, have Yamaha deliberately left the gap open?
Any input appreciated.

Spiders.jpgSpiders 2.jpg

I remember being surprised when @mcatrophy reported that the Gen III+ bikes had "spiders" similar to the Gen II. Until today, I hadn't heard of anyone who had problems. Those certainly don't look very good to me. I am guessing that they must be carrying a much lower load than the Gen II ground junctions - otherwise those would have burnt a long time ago. I can't answer you question as to whether something is missing (did these have plastic caps like the Gen II spiders?). At the very least, I would clean those, protect with ACF50 (or even just dielectric grease), and find some way to prevent moisture from getting at them. Large heat-shrink tubing might work well but makes future inspection difficult. Perhaps just a clear plastic bag held with a zip-tie?
If it happened again, i would consider cutting them off and soldering the wires together, if there is enough wire available...

I remember being surprised when @mcatrophy reported that the Gen III+ bikes had "spiders" similar to the Gen II. Until today, I hadn't heard of anyone who had problems. Those certainly don't look very good to me. I am guessing that they must be carrying a much lower load than the Gen II ground junctions - otherwise those would have burnt a long time ago. I can't answer you question as to whether something is missing (did these have plastic caps like the Gen II spiders?). At the very least, I would clean those, protect with ACF50 (or even just dielectric grease), and find some way to prevent moisture from getting at them. Large heat-shrink tubing might work well but makes future inspection difficult. Perhaps just a clear plastic bag held with a zip-tie?
If it happened again, i would consider cutting them off and soldering the wires together, if there is enough wire available...
It does have a large number of spiders, though very few for ground connections.

Typically they have the same plastic cover as used on the Gen 2, which is in no way waterproof. They are all (as far as I am aware) bound to the loom or a nearby support, as shown in the image below.
Click on image for larger view

The caption to the larger image shows what these ones are used for (at least what I believe from looking at the wire colours).

I can't answer you question as to whether something is missing (did these have plastic caps like the Gen II spiders?). At the very least, I would clean those, protect with ACF50 (or even just dielectric grease), and find some way to prevent moisture from getting at them.
Yes they have the same plastic caps, I just removed them to take a better picture. I cleaned them and protected them, I'm confident they'll be fine. The 3 in the photo were just above and behind the metal coolant pipe into the head.

I'm still scratching my head about the gap above the radiator!