Gen II +5" Rifle Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
I have the V Stream now am 5'11" and ride with the seat in the lower position. I run the V Stream in the highest position at freeway speeds and can look over it without a problem (if I don't slouch). So my questions are for those who bought the +5".

1) Do you ever need to use the full height of the Rifle, if so, what circumstances cause you to raise it all the way up?

2) What problems do you encounter when you ride with the Rifle at it's full height?

3) Do you wish that you had bought the +3" shield instead, if you do, please explain why just lowering the +5" doesn't get you where you want to be?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this thread :p

Here's my comments and I'm sticking to them :rolleyes:

Personally, I think very post regarding windshield heights should be required to provide your height and inseam measurement as the difference is what is above the seat! :rolleyes:

With that, I'm 72" with 32" inseam. I used a the tallest Calsci for about 42K miles. But read the posts regarding the Rifle and was convinced that the "buffing" I was getting came from two sources 1) it not pushing the air over the top of my head, 2) narrowed at the top not give a "lot" of width.

So I purchased a Rifle +5 which was much better as it pushed the air further over the top of my head and it was wider so the "pocket" was wider which significantly helped in crosswinds. One of my returning home routes, I can easily get 100+mph winds (bike speed 70+, wind 30+) and I was still getting more buffeting than I hoped. I talked with the folks at Rifle and they suggested a +8.

The instance I put it on, I noticed that I was running the windshield lower that with the +5 since for the same lift position the windshield is ~3 inches closer to me thus keep the air on it longer before it starts "falling". Also since the angle of the windshield is lower for the same height, the air has less tendency to stall as it flows and the speed increases. I have put on approximately 2,000 miles with the +8 and love it.

As I recall the Calsci and the Rifle +5, I'm running this one about an 1" or so lower for the same effective wind speed - hard to be sure since not running each of them in the exact conditions. In my 100++mph effective wind speed conditions, I'm not raising the +8 as high as the +5 or the Calsci. I only raise it full up when experimenting on full up or lower conditions.

When I get some time over the weekend, I will post the pictures comparing the +5 and +8 as I did comparing the Calsci and Rifle a month or so ago.

Forgot the inseam measurement. My inseam is 30". Roy, do you look over or through the Rifle?
Over except full up which so far is "never" except when experimenting with height in various wind conditions. At "normal" highway speeds, I'm guessing the screen is a 1 to 1-1/2" below "level" light of sight.

One of my concerns go to the +8 verse +5 is that when riding the twisties, I lower the windshield so I can see the road sight lines without looking the the shield. That has not been a problem.

I am 6', 32" and like to look over the shield. At first I thought +5 was too much, and the +3 would be better. I have Baker Air Wings to bring air in when it's hot, and deflect when cold or raining. I raise the windshield so the bottom corners are at or slightly above the bottom of the mirrors. This lets air flow past the Baker Wings. Raising an inch or two higher gains a wee bit more air, but after that it doesn't matter. I still see over it, the angle changes slightly and the buffeting goes away. IMHO, anybody shorter than me should get a +3. I personally would never do +8 nor would I think there is objectionable buffeting to justify it.

And therein lies the problem, we're all different, we have different equipment, different helmets and we sit differently. Move your head an inch or two and it makes a difference.....

So, if you think you want +5, go for it, and if it's a bit tall, you can trim. Better yet, if you can find someone with one for a tryout first............ I got used to it after a couple of days and am happy with it. I never raise it more than 2 or 3" unless it's raining (a bit more) or I'm experimenting.

I am 5'10" and have a 32" inseam. I called the Rifle company before ordering and they had me tape a measuring device [i used a yardstick] to my existing shield and see at what height I could see over it. I did run my existing shield all the way up before doing this. I thought that the +3"would be about right so I ordered one. After it was installed I found that I could not see over it all the way up and was thinking of trading it for a +1", but after running it on the road found that at the protection and quiet is achieved at the point where I can still see over it If I should be caught in heavy rain I might then run the shield all the way up. When the shield is all the way down I still get adequate cooling and can run my face-shield partially open for cooling in my helmet without obnoxious wind noise. That is especially true with the shield in raised positions. I am very happy with this shield and will never know if I should have ordered a +1".

I have the V Stream now am 5'11" and ride with the seat in the lower position. I run the V Stream in the highest position at freeway speeds and can look over it without a problem (if I don't slouch). So my questions are for those who bought the +5".
1) Do you ever need to use the full height of the Rifle, if so, what circumstances cause you to raise it all the way up?

2) What problems do you encounter when you ride with the Rifle at it's full height?

3) Do you wish that you had bought the +3" shield instead, if you do, please explain why just lowering the +5" doesn't get you where you want to be?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this thread :p

I bought a rifle +5" about a month ago. I am 5'10" 33" inseam seat in lower position. i'm very happy with my choice buffeting is minimal compared with stock. Normally I ride it up about 2"-4" so I see over the top. It looks a little gumby like but it's worth it. I got the light gray tint & like it.

I'm 6'4 and have the +5. It fits perfectly for me (key being me), whereas everyone has their own preferences. However, if you go with a +8, it'll be huge and unless you live in Alaska and ride in the winter or you are 6'8", you will hate it when the weather is anything above luke warm. I like to look over my shield, not through it. Again, personal preference comes into play, but you really are suppose to look over your shield.

I think short of having access to a wind tunnel while your windshield is being custom made exactly to you and your bike, it'll be next to impossible to locate the wind shield that works perfect in all conditions.

I'm 6'4 and have the +5. It fits perfectly for me (key being me), whereas everyone has their own preferences. However, if you go with a +8, it'll be huge and unless you live in Alaska and ride in the winter or you are 6'8", you will hate it when the weather is anything above luke warm. I like to look over my shield, not through it. Again, personal preference comes into play, but you really are suppose to look over your shield. I think short of having access to a wind tunnel while your windshield is being custom made exactly to you and your bike, it'll be next to impossible to locate the wind shield that works perfect in all conditions.
Big D, what is your inseam?

Big shields in warm weather for me is a moot point since that is when the stocker gets put installed.

What is the benefit to look through your shield? Less buffeting? Warmer on cold days? Less wind hitting your head? Quiet?

I'm 5-9/10 w/30" inseam, and Yama gel seat. I ride almost 99% of the time with my Rifle +5 about 1/2 the way up, looking over it by an inch or 2. I rode twice at full up, once during the day, once at night. At night, my headlights reflected into the backside of the windscreen, was different, but not a problem. Except at lowest setting, not much buffeting. But wife gets all the air, which means I'm not eating her hair like the Beemer did. At full up on the BMW w/a +3 CEBailey, TOO much sound reflection back to me-it was bad. The "sail" gave me a tug at 55 when I couldn't see the semi in front of me due to fog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5-9/10 w/30" inseam, and Yama gel seat. I ride almost 99% of the time with my Rifle +5 about 1/2 the way up, looking over it by an inch or 2. I rode twice at full up, once during the day, once at night. At night, my headlights reflected into the backside of the windscreen, was different, but not a problem. Except at lowest setting, not much buffeting. But wife gets alll the air, which means I'm not eating her hair like the Beemer did. At full up on the BMW w/a +3 CEBailey, TOO much sound reflection back to me-it was bad. The "sail" gave me a tug at 55 when I couldn't see the semi in front of me due to fog.

why would inseam matter? True, generally a higher inseam is a taller person. But what's above the seat is what matters.

Big D, what is your inseam?

why would inseam matter? True, generally a higher inseam is a taller person. But what's above the seat is what matters.
I agree fully!!

Big shields in warm weather for me is a moot point since that is when the stocker gets put installed.

What is the benefit to look through your shield? If you are directing this question at me, I do not look through my windshield, I look over it!

I agree fully!!

Because inseam length gives us an idea how tall you are from hips to head and how tall you sit in the saddle. This gives me a good idea how we might compare. For example, I'm 6'2 with a 35 inch inseam, someone else may be the same height but with a 32 inch inseam which means he would sit taller in the saddle than me since his torso has to be longer and therefore would need a taller shield than me. Since there is no recognized standard for shirt length, inseam will have to do.

I agree with Roy who said,

Personally, I think very post regarding windshield heights should be required to provide your height and inseam measurement as the difference is what is above the seat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the crucial way to get an accurate inseam measure, I have a 36" inseam.

The Rifle is a really nice and functional windshield and it looks good also. I've read a few complaints about how it looks, but I think the looks of it are fine. It doesn't look too big.

After everything that has been written and discussed about the Rifle, I figured anyone that may have been sitting on a fence about buying one or not would have made their decision already.

After everything that has been written and discussed about the Rifle, I figured anyone that may have been sitting on a fence about buying one or not would have made their decision already.
I've yet to find anyone that has a Rifle that didn't like it.

I'm on the V-Stream loaner list and should be receiving it within a month. Probably will have the Rifle about the same time and will be able to compare them back to back.

I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. The +5 Rifle works great for me compared to the stock screen. I never look through it, even at the highest setting. However, I don't ride with it at the highest setting as there is a slight "push" forward. I like the wind to hit me about eye level. I get a few bugs splattered on my visor, but riding in the "Master Yoda" position, this setting is most comfortable for me.