Gen II Clutch Adjustment Possible on Non AE Model?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SERider

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new to me 2008 with about 15k miles.  I notice the engagement is very close to the hand grip.  I would like to have it engage further out from the grip.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks!

The 'lever dial' adjustment probably won't do anything for you. My '08 has always engaged right next to the grip. And I have bled the system a hundred times. Even had to replace the slave cylinder once when it failed. No difference for the last 166,000 miles.  

Adjusting the clutch lever worked for me. Anyway you should change out your fluid each year. It's cheap money.

Dave 

Remove the clutch lever and check 2 things:

- in the lever is a little brass bushing.  As this bushing wears the engagement point gets closer & closer to the grip;

- the push pin that seats in this bushing runs through a little bellows-type seal.  Make sure it isn't torn.

Remove the clutch lever and check 2 things:

- in the lever is a little brass bushing.  As this bushing wears the engagement point gets closer & closer to the grip;

- the push pin that seats in this bushing runs through a little bellows-type seal.  Make sure it isn't torn.
+1 what rbentnail said.

A buddy of mine with 12 had the same problem.

John

I had that bushing wear so badly the pin went through it. Yeah, the engagement was pretty close to the bar, and then of course, when it popped through, I couldn't get the clutch to release at all! New one was cheap, and works like magic!

48875803993_9981c79d51.jpg

48876343131_152c23350e.jpg