Gen II ECU reflash by Ivan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the last leg of a nice day ride and have filled the tank twice so far.  Completely forgot about the 89 octane thing until Scooter's reminder.  Haven't noticed anything different using 87 but then again I could be oblivious sometimes.  Had tbe flash done at least a year ago too, maybe longer.

I'm on the last leg of a nice day ride and have filled the tank twice so far.  Completely forgot about the 89 octane thing until Scooter's reminder.  Haven't noticed anything different using 87 but then again I could be oblivious sometimes.  Had tbe flash done at least a year ago too, maybe longer.
You'll not get any noticeable difference in performance. But if you hear a metallic "pinking" noise when pulling at low revs, that is the only symptom. And if you do get it, don't run with it, ease the throttle and/or change down a gear. It's pre-ignition and can be very damaging to the engine. Running at higher revs or low throttle settings should be fine. If you don't hear that noise, no problem. 

Wikipedia 

Gen III reflash is a very different beast than the Gen II.  No multiple ride modes, no cruise control changes etc.  Just better fuelling throughout the range and various other tweaks - read the stuff on Ivan's website.

https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm

Im new to the FJR world, that being said. 3 weeks ago I bought a super clean 2012 FJR w/6,700 miles, Put a set of Michelin Road5 GT tires and on the road we went.My wife loves to ride with me when ever we get the chance, and after 37yrs of her sitting behind me on any of the bikes we've owned she pick out and notices any issues we experience while riding....So with that said we love this machine for its ride and performance, except the throttle abrupt jump when riding at low speed off/on in turns or city driving, and highway speed surge...will the reprogram of the ECU take care of this and still allow the use of Reg 87 fuel?
The abrupt jump when at low speed, off and on the throttle is taken care off with Ivan’s reflash on a gen 2.   The issue you describe is non existent after you have Ivan flash your ecu.   Shifting is sooooo much better too.  Ivan’s ecu flash fixes the highway cruising surge too.  I had a PCFC, that was custom tuned, on my bike for years. It was better than stock.  My bike got 38-42 mpg.   Ivan’s ecu fixes all fueling and timing issues (fuel controllers do nothing with ignition timing) and now the bike gets 47-52 mpg.  85mph on the interstate I get 47 and when I rode with a bunch of Harley’s I got 52mpg.   I’m loving the mpg increase!!

Ivans on vacation for a while. Says that on his website.    Call him when he gets back and send him your ECU. 

https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/

Dang it! I never realized Ivan finally got set up for the GenIIs. As soon as he's back, I'm going to send mine off. I put a reminder in my calendar! Lol

Dang it! I never realized Ivan finally got set up for the GenIIs. As soon as he's back, I'm going to send mine off. I put a reminder in my calendar! Lol
HRZ - Ivan did a great job on this.  The parameters are limited to what he can adjust compared to the Gen 3 and up, but it is a huge difference.  Definitely worth the money.

My take on my freshly installed Gen2 Ivan flash.  Copied my post from another forum:

[After installation of the flashed ECU] I rode about 100 miles thataway-> on NC 45-55 mph roads and back on 80-90 mph interstate. Before you read my evaluation of it, you should realize that I've said for many years that I am NOT a motorcycle "purist". I'm one of those people that cannot feel the difference that 2 clicks on a shock absorber makes. Nor can I feel the difference between tire brands. The list goes on & on- all the little subtleties that people post about, well let's just say I don't believe in them and let it go at that. So, keeping that in mind:

1) Folks have posted general statements about "waking up the engine" and "snappier power" and all that. I don't see it. Maybe b/c mine is a 14 y/o 138K mile machine. Still runs like a scalded dog, just nothing different to me post flash.

2) People posted about smoother shifting. Nope, nothing new there.

3) People posted about the elimination of the notorious idle surge removal. Nope, still there. I did have to adjust my idle down significantly. Pre flash it was 1150 or so and hasn't needed adjustment for at least 10 yrs. Post flash, with no other work except a new air filter, idle was about 2100. Ridiculous!

4) People posted about the removal, or at least the change of, the 4-5K rpm vibration. Nope, feels the same to me. If anything, my right side mirror vibrates a little more than before.

5) And finally the biggie- the snatchy off-to-on throttle. I'll give Ivan this one, it's gone. But at a cost. What is lost is engine braking. Guys that ride with me know I am a serious user of engine braking. It appears to me that how the smoother throttle transition is achieved is by forcing the engine to stay at higher rpm for about 3 seconds after the throttle is closed. So when the clutch is pulled in for a shift change, the rpm stay at the level it was at. If you're whacking the throttle some and shift from 2 to 3 at 6K rpm, the rpm never drop from 6K rpm. Even when the clutch lever is pulled & held in, the rpm stay at the level it was at. And when you chop the throttle in 5th at 80 mph it's like there's no return spring attached anymore- the bike continues to go with fuel at 80 mph just like the throttle is still open- for another 3 seconds minimum. Then it seems the fuel is gradually reduced over the next 2-3 seconds so there's even more time of no engine braking. This happens exactly the same way in 4th, 3rd and 2nd. So, to me, with this flash, my days of brakeless twisty riding are over. I can see now why the Gen3/4 riders are generally so sedate 😘 and ask about brake pads, calipers, fluid and rotors so much. You guys have to use braking way, WAY more than I ever imagined.

I'll give it more time and miles but right now I'm seriously considering putting my old ECU back in. For people that use brakes instead of downshifting to higher rpm to utilize engine braking, absolutely do this mod. But I have the definite feeling that this "upgrade" ain't for me, it's a step backwards.

I bought a spare ECU 3P6-23 on fleabay for my 2006 FJR1300 AE and sent it off to Ivan for his flash. Installed it today, did the Barbarian mod, and set CO to zero for all 4 cylinders. Bike fired right up with a cold idle of 1400 rpm. When the engine warmed up to three bars on the dash, idle settled to around 1050 rpm, about the same as it was with the old ECU 3P6-21. Ivan advises to set the idle to 1150-1250 rpm, but I kept the idle low as before so the bike wouldn’t throw a shift error code. Went out for a test ride despite a temperature of 23 F, at least the roads were dry. Bike ran very smooth and shifting was excellent. Small movements of throttle off and on were precise, and it was easy to pull away from a stop. Ivan recommends 89 octane, but my tank had 87 octane ethanol-free gas, and I couldn’t detect any pinging with the way I ride. I’ll keep running 87 octane, unless I hear some pinging in the warm weather. My bike ran well before Ivan’s flash, the only issue was the engine hunting at 3,000 rpm while steady cruising in 5th gear. I did about 30 miles today in a mix of city and highway riding and the bike was perfect.