Gen II Headlight failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A possible replacement relay for the OEM Matsushita ACM33211 M05?

Panasonic relay from Mouser

cm1ad12v.jpg

Data Sheet

Cheap enough at $3.53...
I love the data sheet! Seems its suitable for the application assuming you are planning to bash your noggin...

TYPICAL APPLICATIONS

• Fan motor

• Heater

• Head lump

• Air Compressor

• EPS

• ABS

• Blower fan

• Defogger, etc

cm1ad12v.jpg

Data Sheet

Cheap enough at $3.53...
Good find. The coil resistance of this relay is a bit higher than the stock Omron relay G8H-1C4T-D which is favorable. This relay has a higher Drop-Out voltage than the OEM, which could be unfavorable, but in this application the difference doesn't matter. This relay also has a built-in snubber so the diode is taken care of. Overall, this Panasonic relay is a direct replacement. Just be sure you order the correct pin layout (dimensions).

Even though the upper right corner of the data sheet says Discontinued as of August 31, 2010 Mouser still shows stock available.

Note that Matsushita is now Panasonic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most relays do not last as long if hanging prong-side-up and especially if exposed to any moisture. The relay housings are not sealed in most of these automotive relays, and the way yours is "dangling" almost ensures the coil and contacts will corrode due to moisture. You might want to make a change to hang it relay-side up, or seal the unit in a big fat piece of shrink tube.

cm1ad12v.jpg

Data Sheet

Cheap enough at $3.53...
Good find. The coil resistance of this relay is a bit higher than the stock Omron relay G8H-1C4T-D which is favorable. This relay has a higher Drop-Out voltage than the OEM, which could be unfavorable, but in this application the difference doesn't matter. This relay also has a built-in snubber so the diode is taken care of. Overall, this Panasonic relay is a direct replacement. Just be sure you order the correct pin layout (dimensions).

Even though the upper right corner of the data sheet says Discontinued as of August 31, 2010 Mouser still shows stock available.

Note that Matsushita is now Panasonic.
I'm confused - thought the stock OEM relay for gen 2 was "Headlight relay: Matsushita ACM33211 M05 (R= 96.0 Ω) from FAQ and Common History

Is it better to find the Omron?

I'm confused - thought the stock OEM relay for gen 2 was "Headlight relay: Matsushita ACM33211 M05 (R= 96.0 Ω) from FAQ and Common History

Is it better to find the Omron?
No.

=========================================================================

In the manufacturing of anything there is a Bill Of Material (BOM) that specifies what parts are to be used to build the various assemblies and sub-assemblies. Almost every part in the BOM will have at least one alternative part number listed which is a direct substitute. At the time that Yamaha does the purchasing to buy the parts needed to build FJRs some items may be out of stock, have excessively long lead times or there may be a big price advantage to buying a direct substitute. If you look at the FJR's BOM or any documentation it will show one P/N from one manufacturer, but they may well have installed a different P/N from a different manufacturer.

My Gen I manual calls out for the Radiator Fan Relay and Headlight Relay to be a ACM33211 M05 (Omron)! The FSM uses the Matsushita P/N but calls out Omron as the manufacturer :blink: which is an error. Your Gen II manual specifies Matsushita ACM33211 M05. One of your pictures clearly shows the Omron G8H-1C4T-D part in your bike. The Matsushita ACM33211 M05 is a 96.0 Ω coil relay. The Omron relay is a 80.0 Ω coil relay and since that is the part I saw in your picture I assumed that this is the part that Yamaha has been installing in spite of what the FSM lists for a P/N. :dribble:

The coil resistance difference is petty trivial. At 14 volts one part draws 0.175 amps - 2.45 watts and the other part draws 0.152 amps - 2.13 watts. The coil current will make a difference in the contact pull-in strength and contact clamping strength. The Fan and Headlight relays are a high current part and 80.0 - 96.0 Ω coils have about as high a resistance as you can get and still hold the contacts together tightly enough to keep the contact resistance in the 0.15 Ω range.

:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Alan, you rawk!

I ordered 5 of these puppies JIC other forum peeps have 'immediate' need while on the road for one...

I suppose if you are careful disassembling it you could file the contacts flat like we did in the old days with ignition points... ;-)