GEN II Plastic and Cowling Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, RossKean. Pricing and availability suggest that may be the best route. Partzilla lists the part (OEM 99999-03841-00) for $139.65. The seal is relatively thick, rubberlike, flexible PVC, which you correctly identified. I’ll try to repair the tear, then see about affixing the seal to the cowling with 3M trim tape after thoroughly cleaning everything.

Last edited:
Thanks, RossKean. Pricing and availability suggest that may be the best route. Partzilla lists the part (OEM 99999-03841-00) for $139.65. The seal is relatively thick, rubberlike, flexible PVC, which you correctly identified. I’ll try to repair the tear, then see about affixing the seal to the cowling with 3M trim tape after thoroughly cleaning everything.
The fiche for the '07 shows a part called a "seal set" - the one you pointed out. Depending on what is damaged, you might be able to use seal parts from a later Gen II. (I think the nose piece is essentially the same.) Have a look at the fiche for the 2011, below. It uses one relatively expensive part and four cheaper parts to make up the complete seal (parts 44-48). If nothing is badly damaged then you can use the seal from your bike after thorough cleaning and degreasing. The 3M product (double sided-trim tape) is excellent if surfaces are properly cleaned.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2011/fjr1300a-fjr13aas/cowling-1
Edit: Let's not mess up this excellent "How To" thread with specific issues or problems that are not directly related to the initial post. It is appropriate to start a new thread with reference to this one. If nothing else, this recent flurry of activity popped it up to recent threads where newbies might see it. Perhaps it should be a "sticky" in the technical section.

Last edited:
The fiche for the '07 shows a part called a "seal set" - the one you pointed out. Depending on what is damaged, you might be able to use seal parts from a later Gen II. (I think the nose piece is essentially the same.) Have a look at the fiche for the 2011, below. It uses one relatively expensive part and four cheaper parts to make up the complete seal (parts 44-48). If nothing is badly damaged then you can use the seal from your bike after thorough cleaning and degreasing. The 3M product (double sided-trim tape) is excellent if surfaces are properly cleaned.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2011/fjr1300a-fjr13aas/cowling-1
Edit: Let's not mess up this excellent "How To" thread with specific issues or problems that are not directly related to the initial post. It is appropriate to start a new thread with reference to this one. If nothing else, this recent flurry of activity popped it up to recent threads where newbies might see it. Perhaps it should be a "sticky" in the technical section.
Thanks, RossKean. Good to know. However, I didn’t see your reply until already having thoroughly cleaned the cowling interior, applying the 3M trim tape and reinstalling the original seal. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll go to your suggestion as my Plan B. I appreciate your insights on this.

Thank you @kaitsdad. I was able to remove the whole fairing with only busting a couple of fasteners. As per your advice, I did have spares.

Does anyone know what this connector is (not the ABS one, the one with the metal end with the plastic white plug)? And does it go there? Inserted into the metal structure?

I think it is the thermistor, but I don't know if it should go like that, hanging.

Thank you!

IMG_6794.jpg

Thank you @kaitsdad. I was able to remove the whole fairing with only busting a couple of fasteners. As per your advice, I did have spares.

Does anyone know what this connector is (not the ABS one, the one with the metal end with the plastic white plug)? And does it go there? Inserted into the metal structure?

I think it is the thermistor, but I don't know if it should go like that, hanging.

Thank you!

View attachment 4114
It is the ambient temperature sensor and is not connected to anything.

Thank you!

View attachment 4114
It is the thermistor, and it's just hanging there, held in by a small zip tie. All good.

I wish I had read this before I did mine, some people are prone to do things the hard way. Thanks for this excellent post.
Alex