GEN II Plastic and Cowling Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windshield shakes going down. Want to clean and lube the rails.
Good to know you weren't confused like me. I nearly removed the entire fairing to change my engine coolant. In the process I figured out the error of my ways but it is ok for I can clean and inspect parts and check bolt torques.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i would like to say thankyou for your post, i have now stripped my entire cowlings ready for a new paint job so anyone reading this its works

but give your self a seat & have a weekend free for those little things that simply get in the way.

Once again cheers for your post

Adrian

With the help of ahchiu and the parts fiche, I found that the fairing nose piece/headlights assembly comes off as one unit. And much easier than I would have guessed.

Cleaned and lubed the windshield rails with some marine grade lube [Quicksilver 2-4-c Marine Lubricant with Teflon] and put the nose back on.

Now about the forks, shock, pipes and … ;^)

Phone a friend is always a good deal. Thanks Marcus!

With the help of ahchiu and the parts fiche, I found that the fairing nose piece/headlights assembly comes off as one unit. And much easier than I would have guessed.

Hello? McFly? That is fairly common knowledge around here. Quit spending so much time in mi bastard step-pappy's 1st-grade drivel threads and some more quality time in the technical discussions!
smile.png

With the help of ahchiu and the parts fiche, I found that the fairing nose piece/headlights assembly comes off as one unit.
And with the upper fairing pieces still attached, hopefully. Otherwise you worked WAY TOO HARD to get those off of the bike.

I love the pictures and simple instruction. This will ellminate alot of the brain damage of trying to use the yamaha manual. Will be sure to print this one out.

Send to yamaha for inclusion to their next manual.

Thanks a heep.

Cleaned and lubed the windshield rails with some marine grade lube [Quicksilver 2-4-c Marine Lubricant with Teflon] and put the nose back on.

I am resurrecting this thread because I also can't figure out how to take the nose off of my 2010. I have a rumble/vibration when my windshield retracts and I want clean and lube it.

What is the secret?

The rest of the plastic is already off so I can add a relay controlled circuit for my heated gear and 3 circuit fuse block for to power my Garmin and other accessories.

I am resurrecting this thread because I also can't figure out how to take the nose off of my 2010. I have a rumble/vibration when my windshield retracts and I want clean and lube it.

What is the secret?

The rest of the plastic is already of so I can add a relay controlled circuit for my heated gear and 3 circuit fuse block for to power my Garmin and other accessories.
Disregard - I figured it out. I re-read the original post and found I had missed a step.

So, I just have to say, This forum and advise is a huge help. A few years back, I used it to install my cruise control, it was a life saver. Now, I have to disassemble the fairing to correct a bent right mirror support as a result of a tip over in San Francisco following a Giants game. I have read the step by step procedure and I am sure only 1 bottle of fine scotch will get me through this project, I may as well strip down and change the plugs, new battery and recheck my electrical wiring connections from the AVCC cruise control install. I guess I should also do my valves while I am at it. ok, so maybe two bottles of scotch and fresh jar of Vegemite should do the trick.

Again, thanks for your effort to provide top notch information to the semi skilled hammer mechanics.

FWFE

Welp, I finally done it. I had the common sticking/shuddering of the wind shield so I decided to have a go at it. IMO I never would have figured out how to get the front off without this thread. Thanks!

So while I'm in there I removed the forks to change the oil (already drained, gotta buy new stuff), check the spiders & connectors, replace some missing balls in my left mirror and fix a broken tab for a spring nut.