Gen III Headlight Adjustment?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
While riding today Festar noticed that my left Headlight seemed to be pointing quite high. I turned the adjusting knob in the down direction about 1 complete turn and it didn't want to go any further. Was hard to turn by hand, then didn't want to turn anymore at all.

Trying to determine why?

Could my "drop" last summer have any effect on headlight aim?

Could the drop have any effect on headlight adjustability?

Are others difficult to adjust?

What is the Gen III range of adjustability in # of turns of the knob?

Thanks for your thoughts.

My '13 adjusters are a bit stiff, but I always figured that was by design so it wouldn't vibrate it's way out of adjustment. As for the drop effecting it, I wouldn't expect so, but I could be wrong. Have you had the cowl apart recently? Maybe something got knocked around or bent in the process?

The black inner cover has been off but there is plenty of clearance around the shaft where it penetrates the cover.

I'll pull it off tomorrow and see if something is amiss underneath.

It took vise-grips to turn the headlight adjusters on my '15. I was assured by the shop guys at my dealer -- who do a GREAT job taking care of my bike -- that they're supposed to be hard to turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what the range of adjustment, in turns of the knob is from full up to full down?

I'd sure like to compare mine with another bike before I take it all apart again.

Both of my headlights were pointing at the stars when I took delivery. I would struggle to twist the knobs and they would stop after about a turn. I would ride the bike the 8.5 miles home from work and would get another turn. I kept repeating this process for about a week until the headlights were finally adjusted properly. It seemed like the bike had to be ridden to bounce and vibrate the adjustment mechanism for every turn of adjustment.

My experience is that FJR headlight always point high. (Jeez, have you noticed the hi=beams! I light up the trees when they're on).

I had a hellova time adjusting the knobs on my 05. Now that I have the 14, drivers seem to flash their brights at me. I flash mine back. I don't know if the lights are high or just nice and bright. I'll have to check the aim one night this week. I'd hate to think I'm blinding oncoming drivers.

It took vise-grips to turn the headlight adjusters on my '15. I was assured by the shop guys at my dealer -- who do a GREAT job taking care of my bike -- that they're supposed to be hard to turn.
On the '05, the headlight adjustment knobs were much easier to turn than on the '15, likely due to its less convoluted design. So I'm skeptical of the claim that it has to be stiff to be stable.

My '15 came from the dealer adjusted almost to the high limit, and would only turn less than one revolution further in that direction. Finally made a cheapo tool to save my fingers: Gen III Specific Tool

I think i will make a tool as well, probably by modifying a socket wrench to engage the top of the knob, possibly by drilling two holes in the top of the knob and grinding away a portion of the socket to leave pins that will project into the wholes in the knob.

I'll post pix when done if it works, I'll cry in my beer if it doesn't.

I wonder if you could get a good grip on the metal rod under the plastic knob with a small socket?

Had to adjust my lights after the LED install, they were way too high... Very stiff, at first....

I ended up finding the bottom and there is a stop... went as far as I could down then back up about 10 clicks. Seems about right now for my setup....

John they do loosen up a bit if you keep at it.... They sure are in a goofy place IMO for adjusting, that and ya don't get much traction on those knobs... :(

The knobs on my '07 turn with just a little resistance. Feel about like I think they should. I'd be freaked out if they were as hard to move as I hear described here.

I had this problem. To force the suckers where I wanted to I took a socket that was of appropriate size, stuffed a rag in between the knobs and socket, in turn, and used this as a tool to set the headlights properly. No gouging of the knobs by vice-grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thank all of you for your inputs.

I was concerned that I had bent something last year when I had my stay breaking tip over, or that something was jammed up in my adjustor mechanism.

I decided to make a tool and modify the top of one of the adjuster nuts.

I drilled two 3/16" holes into the top of an adjuster but, then modified a spare 7/16 quarter inch drive socket to engage the holes in the Adjuster Nut.

IMG_20150525_194856459_zpsnvmyir9f.jpg

IMG_20150525_194916187_zpsejv51hij.jpg

IMG_20150525_194933424_zpsttdspniw.jpg

The tool worked great, the lights actually move up and down quite easily when turned by a ratchet and a long extension connected to the tool. The tool was easy to manufacture using my pneumatic cut off grinder.

Thanks again. Case Closed!

I'm still curious about what makes them so hard to turn in the first place :( Going to check the parts list to see if maybe they have an overabundance of nylon that's just gripping the threads too tightly or something like that...

But the rain water will run right out the bottom, and if you're worried a little dab of silicone will seal the bottom right up, the adjuster nuts do not provide a weatherproof seal to begin with.