Gen III in 2013?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows of anyone who is going to be running a Gen III FJR in 2013?

Considering the amount of time people spend farkling their LD Mounts its a tight time frame to get a new bike now and get it ready. But then again people have run brand new bikes before.

- Colin

Considering the amount of time people spend farkling their LD Mounts its a tight time frame to get a new bike now and get it ready.
Exactly. I pondered a little, but then thought against it because of fuel cell refab, custom seat redo, custom suspension redo...and probably most of all....cost of a new motorcycle. If anything, I did resolve to install a cruise control this winter. I'll be running my lower mileage '05 Zaphod.

To make myself fell better I bought a new camera instead that was much cheaper. :)

Exactly. I pondered a little, but then thought against it because of fuel cell refab, custom seat redo, custom suspension redo...and probably most of all....cost of a new motorcycle. If anything, I did resolve to install a cruise control this winter. I'll be running my lower mileage '05 Zaphod.

To make myself fell better I bought a new camera instead that was much cheaper. :)
Well, being unemployed at the moment has made most of these decisions pretty easy for me. :dribble:

I must admit I am envious of the new features, and everything I've been hearing about it (mainly through Warchilds postings) is sounding pretty good. If I was flush with cash and the IBR was still 2 years off I could see myself taking the plunge.

Almost every winter since I bought my Gen I bike in '04 (early 2005 model) all the way up to the 2011 IBR I had been steadily "farkelizing" the bike to get it just the way I wanted it. The 2011 IBR was the final push that added fuel cell and HIDs. Last winter was a fair bit of maintenance work (mainly from the leftover wear and tear from 2011) but really no changes to the setup. This year is similar again. There is very little I am changing, its just preventative maintenance for 2012. So as much as I would love a new bike, I'm thinking it would be nice to just stick with the GenI now that I've finally got it all setup.

-----------

As for the camera, very nice. Some of the higher end cameras nowadays are pretty frickin awesome in what they can do. Currently my "good" camera (as opposed to the rally mode pocket camera) is a Sony DSC-F828. Fixed lens and only 8Mpixel. But its a nice large Zeiss lens that makes the real difference. A couple times now I've printed off 8x10's and had the guy at the print place thought it was actually taken with a 12 Mpixel camera. Rally mode doesn't present the time to stop and take nice pics. But I've got some awesome pics taken a few years back on a trip down to Big Bend in Texas.

- Colin

Other than the time and money to set a Gen 3 up for the IBR, I would be a little hesitant to plan on running one until they are more tested. Just look at all the issues we first year Gen 2 owners have had the fun of dealing with.