gen III led h4 headlight bulb recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...They consume about 20W each, a power saving of 80W total, or a whole heated jacket...
A strong argument for sure...Not sure power saving is really an issue but your other points are well taken.
On a Gen I which is ridden in all weather and extensively at night where supplemental lighting is beneficial, the extra watts saved are significant. It may not be helpful to the average rider, but to someone that travels extensively or competitively it's a much better way to get almost 100 watts in place of a short lived high output aftermarket stator.
There are times when my Gen 1 regulator complains about its woeful under-employment
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an area where the theory seems to mitigate against the fitting of LED headlight bulbs, but in practise it is not an issue.
I have the 4 emitter LEDs from ledrider.com (Justin).

The beam patterns, as viewed against the standard wall are, it has to be said, more dispersed than halogen, with much less of a clearly defined cut-off. This has led to some folk being wary of fitting them.

However, my concern is not what they look like against a garage door, but how they perform on the road. That is ... do they give more light, or better light? Do they distract or annoy on-coming traffic? Do they save power?

The answers, after extensive testing under many different road conditions and weather are this:

These bulbs offer a light output of 2200 lumens each. That is compared with halogen at around 1600 lumens. The color temperature of the bulbs is about 6000k. Bright white with no blue. This is a high contrast temperature, well suited to motorcycle needs to see the surface of the road clearly. There is good, wide coverage on low beam and decent projection on high. Certainly better than halogen. They are almost completely immune to vibration, and will be expected to last the life of the bike.

They consume about 20W each, a power saving of 80W total, or a whole heated jacket.

When I ride at night no one ever feels the need to flash their headlights at me. That was the biggest worry, considering the possibility of stray light being an issue. In theory it should be an issue, in practise it appears not to be. Also, the bulbs give out plenty of light. If you are wanting to be cautious you could adjust them down a little from normal, and still be better off.
A strong argument for sure.

As for distracting other drivers, the lack of evidence doesn't prove a theory.

Not sure power saving is really an issue but your other points are well taken.
I'm running the same bulb as Twigg and I have yet to get anyone flashing me at night - his statements ring true with my feelings on the bulbs as well, I'm clearly not as good at putting my thoughts in writing as he is.... little bit wider beam pattern, not as focused as the halogens but still great coverage and good light with the 6000k

I did adjust them all the way down after install, and have slowly been bringing them up.....

I didn't want to annoy other drivers, so I'm working them up a bit each time I go out at night.

I didn't need the power savings as much as he did but I'm more then satisfied with their performance...

Latest posts