Gen III Stator Loading/ Voltage Draw

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRide

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps someone has experience with this....can a Gen III Stator handle at the same time the Heated Grips plus Heated Gear (Gloves & Jacket) and a Heated Corbin Saddle? I'm also powering a Garmin 590 and Cell Phone.. All the farkles go thru a Fuzeblock. With everything on, what would you expect to be your low end Voltage readout while running at +/-4,000rpm/ 80mph?

Don't know what I would expect in terms of voltage on the system with everything running but the bike should EASILY handle that stuff.The GPS and cell phone use minimal power and while the heated gear, saddle and grips together might be as much as 200 watts total, these will cycle on and off as a function of the settings used.  (Probably something like 60:40 Off:On under reasonable conditions.)  Overall average draw is likely to be well under 100 watts.  Unless you were throwing a set of high power incandescent auxiliary lights in there, I wouldn't worry. 

If you want to be sure, put a digital voltmeter on the bike and keep an eye on it when you are using all of your accessories.  If you are in a deficit situation with respect to power, voltage will drop.

Any voltage below 12.8 means the battery is discharging, but you should expect it to be 14 plus at the battery terminals under the conditions you state. If the voltage monitoring device is not directly across the battery terminals, for instance a voltage reading in a satnav, it will read lower due to voltage drop in fuses, switches and connectors.

This does assume connections between the rectifier/regulator and the battery are also good, the regulator stabilises the voltage to nominally 14.3 at the regulator itself. 

You need an awful lot of heated gear for somebody who lives in SoCal you little bitch.  Time to put your big boy pants on for crying out loud!

So why the Hell would you need heated gloves when you have heated grips?

You need an awful lot of heated gear for somebody who lives in SoCal you little bitch.  Time to put your big boy pants on for crying out loud!

Shit Scooter, Who got your panties in a bunch :fuck: . Some folks need all the creature comforts they can get.  I never thought I would like a heated seat until I got one on the wing.

Like has been said, mount a good voltmeter and see what the voltage is underway not at idle. most motorcycle charging systems don't put out squat at idle. if you're showing 13.5 or better you are in OK shape. below 13 is asking for trouble .

Any voltage below 12.8 means the battery is discharging, but you should expect it to be 14 plus at the battery terminals under the conditions you state. If the voltage monitoring device is not directly across the battery terminals, for instance a voltage reading in a satnav, it will read lower due to voltage drop in fuses, switches and connectors.

This does assume connections between the rectifier/regulator and the battery are also good, the regulator stabilises the voltage to nominally 14.3 at the regulator itself. 
I had a Datel on the '04,  and I always liked to see the Volts on the fly... on order for this '13. Thanks

Whoaa there big fella! ... just anticipating that grips and gloves might be warranted on some super-duper chilly morning lift-off.. you know, like in the 50's..yee-haa..

Not arguing your point about being in SoCal.  But I find I need to supplement the grips with heated gloves when it gets below about 30 deg.

WTF????   It gets below 30 degrees somewhere?   MOVE!!!!

You can come here where it's *only* going to be 112 degrees today.

Exactly... those early morning runs thru the mountains on your way to somewhere... like to Scooters for a Hug..

Fuck Hugs!

A F*** SoCal too!  This was just outside of San Diego the day after this past Christmas as I was riding home.  WTF?  I-8 was closed for three freaking hours!

Yq8gyqbl.jpg

Latest posts