Gen1 Engine on Gen2 Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew00

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wrecked my 2005 (Gen1) last May and have a chance to get a 2006 (Gen2) complete with a bad engine. So I will have both bikes as complete and I am wanting to transplant my low mile (18k) Gen1 into the Gen2 bike. I see a few posts of people going the other way but haven't found any for the opposite.

Does anyone know what I would be in for?

Thanks,

First stop I'd make is compare parts fiches for '05 & '06 model bikes. It's been a looong time since I owned my '04 but two things come immediately to mind. Cooling hose set up and thermostat location is different and since the FI system changed, you'll need the complete '06 throttle body assembly.

Let us know how it goes. Take lots of pics and good luck!

~G

Don't think gear indicator will work. Neutral switch is different too. Might be able to rob parts from the bad engine but probably a bit of work.
What happened to the original engine in the 2006? Might be easier to fix that one using your motor as donor.

From my understanding the speed sensor is in different places on the two Gens making them incompatible.

Which speed sensor? The only one I could find in my 2007 manual related to the engine was for the YCCS "AE" model.

Dammit! I knew someone would ask me that. It's been a long time since I had this conversation with a knowledgeable Yamaha tech.

I believe it is the sensor that converts transmission rpm into the input for the speedometer. Two different locations from Gen I to Gen II+. Perhaps could be jury-rigged. But the tech believed it was a deal killer.

Once you're into electronics / sensors, better bet is to find a good (lower mile) GEN II engine. Sounds like the search begins in ^^^^ LA area.

~G

Ok. I have done quite a bit of research. Looks like I can use the speed sensor that's on the Gen1 engine. The only think that the crankcase itself doesn't have a provision for is the gear position sensor. I am hoping that all I will need is the neutral sensing wire to be able to crank it, and other than that I am fine without the gear positions sensor. I will have both bikes complete, so if I had to swap the fuel system over to the Gen1 engine I could.