• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen1 Subframe Stiffener Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gang - while I had my Gen1 apart (I'm repainting it), I designed up a set of stiffening plates that will reduce the incidence of subframe cracking. Loads are transferred from the stock top cast subframe piece where the tailrack attaches through my new heavy plates into the heavier side pieces. The parts shown are the prototypes I made and I plan to powdercoat them silver to match the rest of the subframe. The installation requires no modifications to the bike and only takes about 15 minutes.

PM me if you want a set - $50 delivered.

P1020398_zps13d812c7.jpg

P1020400_zpscf3f6672.jpg

Garauld, this sounds like a great idea, I'm guessing these will work on Gen II as well right? When will the production versions be available?

Garauld, this sounds like a great idea, I'm guessing these will work on Gen II as well right?
If it was...I'm sure Garauld would have specified that in the thread title. Gen 1 and 2 bikes are different in that area. I seriously doubt compatibility. The Gen 2 is also more stout then Gen 1...far fewer have had issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll make them when folks want them. This kit will not work on Gen2 or Gen3 bikes - I am still working on the design for those and will post it as a different thread. I'm actually looking for a broke Gen2 subframe from someone that has one laying around so I can work on the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed my Garauld Gen I Stiffener Kit yesterday, and am quite happy with the results.

I have a Pelican 1520 case on my stock rear rack, and after 40,000 miles or so there is no hint of problems with the rear sub-frame, but I'd like to keep it that way. I drilled four holes through the stock rear rack, and a 12" square plate of 1/8" thick 6061 aluminum mounts with counter-sunk machine screws, washers and rubber isolating spaces, and nylon lock nuts. The Pelican case mounts to the plate with M8 screws, fender washers, and rubber washers into tapped holes in the aluminum plate. Mounting to the stock rear rack seems to have some advantages, because the rack is attached to the rear sub-frame at five widely-spaced points.

I try not to overload the case, but it sometimes happens.

The Stiffener Kit is easy to install. I had some extra work because I had to re-jigger some wiring for an auxiliary LED running/brake light bar. This wiring came through the hole just ahead of the stock left running light. Happily, I was able to re-route it without having to disconnect it.

Garauld provides an instruction sheet with all the steps laid out, and it was easy to follow. You do not need to remove any body plastic -- only the seats need to be removed to access the rear sub-frame area. You'll want a u-joint on your 14mm socket to tighten the bolts that go down through the horizontal sections of the bent plates, to clear the lip of the rear seat mount plastic. Start to finish was about 20 minutes, which included re-routing my extra wiring.

For someone like me who regularly stresses their rear sub-frame, the extra protection provided by Garauld's Stiffener Kit is most welcome. It's another in Garauld's long line of well-engineered, well-built accessories for the FJR.

This is a great idea. However, I'm 'on the fence' over whether I really need them? I only ride solo and don't have a top-box. I just checked my bike, no sign of any stress damage.

But I do believe in preventive maintenance, so should I install a set just for peace of mind and good karma?

Al.

Garauld,

Still no love for us Gen 2 guys huh
rolleyes.gif

Can I place an order for a Gen 2 set to be the first in line to receive one once they are available.

Latest posts