• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen1 Subframe Stiffener Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have just about finished fabricating up a Gen2/3 stiffy kit and will post pics soon. It's complicated since it's a bolt-on, no-mods farkle. I'm not so sure I really want to make these - I'm getting lazy (says my wife)...
rolleyes.gif

Having been bitten with a cracked sub frame previously, I'm looking forward to your Gen 2 stiffy kit in anticipation.

Keep up the good work.

Also, please include postage off to Australia, hint hint.

Well, I have just about finished fabricating up a Gen2/3 stiffy kit and will post pics soon. It's complicated since it's a bolt-on, no-mods farkle. I'm not so sure I really want to make these - I'm getting lazy (says my wife)...
rolleyes.gif
Great news, thanks for your efforts Garauld. Pls put me down for a Gen 2 kit, shipping to Tokyo, Japan.

Gen 2 stiffy kit ordered. Looking forward to see Gary's fine work and no more worries on loading the rear.

WELL, this is the Gen I subframe post ...hope you don't get one for a gen I

Bought a Garauld Gen II stiffener kit for a 2008 on which I have a top case that is always loaded. Nothing wrong with the sub-frame currently but every time I put my notebook in there, I'm distracted by thoughts of leaving bits and pieces along the road. So I consider it a safety feature. Yeah, that's it.

Gary shipped the part very quickly and the part itself is a beautiful piece of work; no mods were required to make it fit. Fits like a glove, you have to look closely to know it's there. Piece of mind.

No, I'm not Gary, just a very satisfied customer.

Gang - while I had my Gen1 apart (I'm repainting it), I designed up a set of stiffening plates that will reduce the incidence of subframe cracking. Loads are transferred from the stock top cast subframe piece where the tailrack attaches through my new heavy plates into the heavier side pieces. The parts shown are the prototypes I made and I plan to powdercoat them silver to match the rest of the subframe. The installation requires no modifications to the bike and only takes about 15 minutes.

PM me if you want a set - $50 delivered.

P1020398_zps13d812c7.jpg

P1020400_zpscf3f6672.jpg
do you still sell this kit?

No, but I can send drawings if you provide me with your email.
I just got a Gen 1 twenty days ago. Reading the FJR forums has informed of many things. I may have dismissed the sub=frame issue if I already read about it. After reading this thread it seems prudent for me to address the sub-frame before it becomes an issue. I plan on loading 'er down for big rides.

I too am interested in the drawings. I will PM you my email. Thank you in advance, it is very kind of you to share your design with others.