• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen2/3 Subframe Stiffy Kit by Garauld

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will probably break again as it has no real reinforcement added across the fixed areas. Welding also anneals the surrounding areas (called HAZ - Heat Affected Zone) thus softening and weakening the parent metal. Curious - how much did the repair cost?
$150...in Australia, which is fairly reasonable.

I'm no expert in welding but the guy who did the job is part of team Suzuki Motocross and travels with them welding up broken frames during the Australian season. Time will tell how good he is. If it fails again (this is the second time it's happened) i'll be getting a new frame. I also think there would have been some annealing happening.

Got my stuffy kit delivered, and wow. What a well made piece, and it looks factory. Waiting for a weekend day to install.

I bought one of these about 2 weeks ago. I must say that I am impressed. I have a full on metal fab shop. I build racing chassis from bare tubing. I have the ability to design/build something like this. It is simple math, time is money and from what I see Gary need to get more money for his time. This is a great product for a very reasonable price. The only way I see for him to get paid for his R/D time is to sell lots of these so lets support him and all he does for us FJR guys and buy a lot of these.

Would have loved to get one of these, but found that Garauld is not accepting PMs. Those who were able to get these brackets were lucky indeed!

I had to clean out my email house... Sorry. All fixed now.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
To test this you need someone that has pioneered almost every possible failure on this platform. A man that could destroy an iron ball with his bare hands.I won't mention any names, but the initials dcarver come to mind
wink.png
I'm starting to think dcarver has competition.

I will be ordering one of these likely in the next week or so.

I've got one ordered. Gerauld asked if I'd post some of my subframe failure pics over here, so here you go.

CAM00163_zps81bae13c.jpg

CAM00164_zpsfea06caf.jpg

CAM00165_zps8c1d7c8c.jpg

I've also got broken grab handles and broken plastics.

My kit is shipped and en route. Thanks, Gary for the quick turn around!

I've got the PCA rack and a Bestem trunk and I've been sweating the cracking issue. I try not to load up the trunk, much, but on long trips its hard not to try and cram it full.

If it weren't for the highly skilled forum members devising and offering fixes for Yamma Mamma's design shortcomings, not sure where I'd be.

If it weren't for the highly skilled forum members devising and offering fixes for Yamma Mamma's design shortcomings, not sure where I'd be.
Sitting in a gas station parking lot drinking a Mountain Dew with your riding buddy while waiting on your wife to come pick up your bags. That's where you'd be.
biggrin.png

I've got the factory trunk on my 08 that I have loaded up several times. I've also ridden gravel roads with smaller loads. Can't believe I haven't had a problem yet. I need to get mine installed.

Installed Gary's kit last weekend and it fits very well. I can feel the increase in rigidity just by pushing down on the rear rack while the bike sits on the Center stand.

My plan is to install a 4 gallon fuel cell back there for this season and hopefully, the kit will prevent a cracked sub frame, or at least, keep me from sitting at a gas station drinking Mountain Dew waiting for the wife to come and get my stuff. Trust me, that would not go over well.

or at least, keep me from sitting at a gas station drinking Mountain Dew waiting for the wife to come and get my stuff. Trust me, that would not go over well.
Those are some delicate phone calls.

Me: Honey, I didn't crash but something happened. (Gotta preface the didn't crash part right off the bat)

Her: You got a ticket?

Me: No. Well, might be more expensive than a ticket though...

And so it went from there.
biggrin.png

Got my kit installed last weekend. Fairly straight forward. (Note the rear panels slide apart from the center piece after all the fasteners are removed). Fit great and definitely feels stiffer. Found the trunk latch mount loose on the baseplate and took care of that, too.

Just put mine on. No problems. My mounting plate for the factory top case was a little loose too. Glad I caught it.

Thanks!

Latest posts