• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen2/3 Subframe Stiffy Kit by Garauld

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's some new spy photos of the stiffy kit that I've been working on for the Gen2 & 3 bikes. This is actually the second version I've built - that's why it's taken so long. I am still not fully content with it, so I may tweak it a bit more. It's strictly a bolt-on installation - no mods are required. I think it can be installed by removing the tailrack. It's made of steel so it should be a lot more fatigue-resistant than the cast aluminum subframe. Think it will work?
thumbsup.gif

P1020720_zps431943e7.jpg

P1020718_zps9da3ac1a.jpg

I've been meaning to ask this, and I'm SURE that a number of people are curious about this:

Exactly where does the subframe crack? Where's the weak spot?

If you have a set up with extreme loads in the tail trunk would you suggest using a SR 357 with it, or do you think this will this be sufficient without it?

I would highly suggest a installing Givi rack if you have extreme (?) loads. I don't think you would need my kit if you get one. My bracket was designed to reduce the bending effect being placed on the rear aluminum subframe by heavy loading.

I'm new to the FJR world so excuse my possibly dumb questions.

Is the sub-frame bending an issue with heavily loaded saddle bags or top case or both? Is this a huge concern?

To test this you need someone that has pioneered almost every possible failure on this platform. A man that could destroy an iron ball with his bare hands.

I won't mention any names, but the initials dcarver come to mind ;)

To test this you need someone that has pioneered almost every possible failure on this platform. A man that could destroy an iron ball with his bare hands.I won't mention any names, but the initials dcarver come to mind
wink.png
+1. If the prototype can survive dcarver it can survive anything. I'm also in line when these go into full production. I can't use the complete Givi rack system with my Corbin Smuggler and my Givi E55 is putting a fair bit of load on the subframe when I pack for a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the sub-frame bending an issue with heavily loaded saddle bags or top case or both? Is this a huge concern?
There have been a few failures of the subframe due to a mix of overloaded top cases and bumpy roads. The subframe is a cast aluminum piece and does not take well to cyclical loading. No issues with the bags. There's some forum threads discussing the failures...

So I was going over my son's bike (bicycle) that he rode 3500 miles on this summer. I noticed this weight limit on hie rear-rack:

bikerack_zps700aabc0.jpg

That's 25 kgs, 55.1 lbs. on a 20 lb touring bike!!

Why the hell are limited to 11 lbs (officially) on a 650 lb motorcycle?????