General Dislikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The few riders I've encountered who made disparaging remarks about the FJR, also admitted they had never ridden one. (Yes, they were Harley riders)

I fell in love with the FJR when I saw a photo of one in a Yamaha brochure. Paid a deposit, took delivery a couple of months later on a brand new '11 with zero Km, rode it home. The bike just 'fit' me, and it felt like I'd made a new best friend. A very powerful, and quick one!

The FJR is top heavy at parking lot speed, but that becomes manageable with practice. I eventually replaced the stock seat with a RDL, as the OEM seat felt uncomfortable after three or four hours.

I've 'personalized' the bike with other mods and additions, but out of the box, unmodified, it is/was the best motorcycle I've ever owned.

I had a HD Road King a few years ago, mainly because I admired the look and sound, but discovered the riding position never felt quite right, and hated the lack of power, terrible brakes, and endless hours polishing all that chrome.

If I ever wear this one out, and buy another bike, it'll probably be an FJR.

Dislikes: My yard now looks like hell because I'm never home to maintain it anymore, too busy riding.

The layer of dust on most of furniture and television because I'm too busy riding.

That's a very backwards way to choose a motorcycle!

What we don't like, OK -- we don't like:

OEM seats

OEM windshield

OEM handlebar position

engine heat - not a problem on Gen 2 & 3

it's heavy

it's top heavy

throttle control - not a problem on Gen 3

headlights and lack of conspicuousness lighting - improved on Gen 3 with the led lights below the headlights

brake lights don't strobe

front fender does not extend down far enough

no radiator guard

no OEM heated grips except on the Gen III

lack of throttle lock/cruise control except on the Gen III

insufficient storage capacity, often needs a trunk

no passenger back rest

no highway pegs

the stock exhaust

the PAIR plumbing

the front suspension

the rear suspension - better on the '14ES

the OEM tires

no OEM frame sliders installed

OEM paint colors - many of us love the Candy Red and the Cobalt Blue and the Black and...!

throttle body synch is off - seems to be improved greatly on the Gen 3

superfluous badges, stickers and reflectors

no obvious good choice for oil

no obvious good choice for tires

no obvious good choice for spark plugs

no obvious good choice for batteries

Yup, the FJR is a real POS. A number of people have been saying that the BMWs are flawless, you may want to look in that direction.

wink.png
laugh.png

What is missed is that each of these things are disliked by only some of the riders and in the grander scale of things these are just tiny, easily fixed things.
Obviously a tongue-in-cheek response, but for the benefit of the O.P. I added some info to the above list, in bold.
Alan- You spent a lot of time thinking all that up. Not saying you are off by any means, but tolerance (or lack of I guess?) will and can negate most of those (not the seat howevah!). On the BMW, I always advise buyers to go with an FJR, at least at first as a stepping stone as I did. Let's face it, the FJR is a GREAT bike, and one that you can't beat for the price. Told da'Steamer the same exact thing, he didn't listen tho (ding-ass), and now he's crying "broke", and he even went w a used Beem'.

Allen- I think those were excellent revisions you tacked on. All seem to hold water 100% with the reports so far. And, I'm one of those that really likes that candy apple red :) . Allen, you keep a sharp, clean and polished bike... I see pride with your ride! :) :) :)

OP- Go test drive a '14ES and forget about all the old and non-worthy POS Gen 1 and 2's.... jus' sayn' ;)

(in reality, shop with your pocketbook, any of the Feejers will put a big ole smile on your face)

That's a very backwards way to choose a motorcycle!

What we don't like, OK -- we don't like:

OEM seats

OEM windshield

OEM handlebar position

engine heat - not a problem on Gen 2 & 3

it's heavy

it's top heavy

throttle control - not a problem on Gen 3

headlights and lack of conspicuousness lighting - improved on Gen 3 with the led lights below the headlights

brake lights don't strobe

front fender does not extend down far enough

no radiator guard

no OEM heated grips except on the Gen III

lack of throttle lock/cruise control except on the Gen III

insufficient storage capacity, often needs a trunk

no passenger back rest

no highway pegs

the stock exhaust

the PAIR plumbing

the front suspension

the rear suspension - better on the '14ES

the OEM tires

no OEM frame sliders installed

OEM paint colors - many of us love the Candy Red and the Cobalt Blue and the Black and...!

throttle body synch is off - seems to be improved greatly on the Gen 3

superfluous badges, stickers and reflectors

no obvious good choice for oil

no obvious good choice for tires

no obvious good choice for spark plugs

no obvious good choice for batteries

Yup, the FJR is a real POS. A number of people have been saying that the BMWs are flawless, you may want to look in that direction.

wink.png
laugh.png

What is missed is that each of these things are disliked by only some of the riders and in the grander scale of things these are just tiny, easily fixed things.
Obviously a tongue-in-cheek response, but for the benefit of the O.P. I added some info to the above list, in bold.
Alan- You spent a lot of time thinking all that up. Not saying you are off by any means, but tolerance (or lack of I guess?) will and can negate most of those (not the seat howevah!)...
Actually, that list took no time at all. Being a touch typist I simply closed my eyes, leaned back and words came out my fingers, then in just a few seconds there it was, da list :)

Because the OP is looking at things bass ackward the scale is wrong. When people like things about the FJR they are usually 9+ on the scale of 10 and when we talk about the things we don't like it is usually 1-2 on the scale of 10. People that have things they don't like that are 9 on the scale of 10 usually have a different bike PDQ.

These are the things we complain about:

1. Too heavy. But it's not a real problem for most, and sort of comes with all the other benefits.

2. Some years have lurchy throttles. Fixed with a Power Commander.

3. Older years put off lots of heat onto your legs.

4. Helmet buffetting. Experiment with windshields.

Except for the weight, the 3rd gen (2013+) has solved lots of issues (or so I hear).

The other complaint is the price; new, these are getting expensive. Used, they hold their value well. Best to look for one with lots of miles and get a good price. Like the one I'm selling ;-)

Some see the glass as half full, some see it... well you know...

I think he (OP) just wanted the dirt before he jumped into the pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an optimist, I like to think that the OP is actually a design engineer working for Yamaha and wants to fix all of the little quirks for the new three cylinder FJR in 2016.
coolsmiley02.gif

I have a 2006 and I'd like to add:
1. The seat is too hard and slants forward, keeps the jewels against the tank.Plus it's quite hard.
2. I have backlash in the drivetrain that's quite noticeable when going on and off the throttle. Not sure how common this is.
3. I have the same surging, seems to be a slight miss, at low loads/RPM as lots of others on the site do.Do a search for "lean surge".
4. The throttle is very stiff.

I still like the bike. I've owned cruisers and a Goldwing but this find this one is pretty good all-around. Plus I think it looks awesome.

I love my AE for it's auto clutch/paddle shifter since I have arthritus bad in both hands. But after a BMW RT1150, it is top heavy. First tip-over just last month in my garage after repositioning the bike & the kick stand moved. The biggest fault is my front brake pads clunk over bumps, my dealership repair dept agreed with me it is a mfg's defect. The only other bitch is changing the rear bulbs is near impossible for me.

I have the optional Yammie seat which I like, and a Rifle +4, +3 windscreen. It was the major tip-over breakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous bike was 2000 Suzuki Marauder. I found myself riding it less and less until I didn't ride it at all in the last two years.

Recently, I took a new job that required a 170 mile a day commute. The Suzuki had about 100 mile range, so it was a no-go for commuting. I always lusted after the FJR, so the commute was my excuse to get. one. Now, I ride it nearly everyday. I enjoy my commute to work and back home. It is the best machine I have ever owned. I am proud to ride it and wouldn't want any other bike.

Coming from 25 years on sportbikes i liked the( Gen 2) FJR.. Good power, low maint, good brakes , decent suspenion and the girl on the back didnt have anything to complain about once i lowered the pegs, installed floor boards, got a trunk and replaced the seat..

On the other side of the coin i thought the ground clearance was bad ( found myself scraping things alot in turns) , i felt like the power delivery in the lower range was kinda vanilla and i hadnt owned a 5 speed bike since the 80's... I rode that FJR 30,000 miles and never stopped trying to shift it into 6th..

That being said, as soon as the ins guys comes by and totals my bike im going straight to the kawi store and buying a new Connie.. 15 extra horse and a 6 speed please!

Once I dialed in my FJR with the desired farkles, it's the nicest riding bike I've ever ridden. It all depends on what you're looking for in a motorcycle... All have good and bad points. Try and find a nearby dealer that will offer a test ride...