Getting another FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyRider

Reaction score
Well back in 2015 after I retired my 2008 FJR was totaled buy a new female driver in a parking lot. I survived (few days in the hospital) and decided to get a lighter bike.

After several new lighter 1-liter bikes I never was satisfied with any of them (won't list them, doesn't matter really).

So now I'm looking at a 2009 with 16k on odometer, serviced by the local dealer for $6500. (Yamaha Top case, ft&r cameras, dvd, taller yamaha windshield, heated grips, two brothers exaust).

It has new tires but the mature owner has no clue what was done other than rear brakes, tires, oil change . etc. by the dealer.

So I was wondering if it's worth the risk?

Forgot Sargent seats too.

00g0g_jyFHQP185m1_600x450.jpg

Hell yes, it's worth the risk.  These bikes are superlative in all aspects.  I've had no regrets since acquiring my 2010 model when it was three years old with just under 3K miles on it.  Sounds like you found a garage queen that looks pretty damn sharp in the photo.  Go for it!!!   Best of luck to you.  Just keep the rubber side down.

If he is the original owner and the oil was changed more than once, I would not be afraid of it.  It is eleven years old.  There are two newer generations of the bike.  I think his asking price is a little high. 

I was in a similar situation as you a few months ago.  An inattentive driver totaled my 2013.  I bought a well-kept 2007 with 35k miles for 3200.  Mine doesn't have the trunk, cameras or DVD.  What are you going to do with a DVD?

Nothing with the dvd and the 2007 color was what attracted me to the FJR originally. Any FJR locally for under 6K has 30+K miles on it.

He wanted $7250, and like me probably paid over $14K new plus license and tax..(California sucks)

I was going to buy a new bike on Monday for quite a bit more, but started thinking about why I've been buying and selling new bikes for a loss since the 2008 FJR.

I never considered a new FJR, leaning towards new 1-liter death machines up until tonight. I spent from 1975 to 2008 on sport bikes that should have killed me until

the FJR. The FJR other than weight served every need. As I slowed down (<150mph)  and got too fat to push the corners and it served very well. So now

this showed up locally prior to writing a large check at the local dealer and got me thinking why no bike has been satisfactory since the FJR? Maybe the FJR was 

the bike I needed all along? Or maybe I had too much Whiskey.  Anyway just trying to justify skipping the dealer tomorrow and checking out this bike. Thanks

Domenic

Wouldn't be concerned with mechanical issues. Almost certainly OK with that little mileage.  Chances are that if the original owner bothered with some extras, he probably at least changed the oil.  Beyond that, I would plan on a full service and not worry about anything.

Even with the extras, I think the price is a bit on the high end for the model year.  But over the number of years left in it, the asking price isn't really a major factor - plus or minus a few bucks is nothing over the next 150,000 miles. 

Enjoy the bike or keep eyes open for a better deal.  Can't go wrong either way. Personally,  I would offer $1000 or $1500 less with a cash offer and see if he bites. Not selling many bikes right now but spring is on the horizon.

Good luck! 

Loved my '09, looks like you found a nice low-mile example. IMO a little high [~$500] in price but considering you are in Cali...

I'd say go for it! Good luck!!

~G

Prices are crazy in California but I really don't want to ride in the snow back here to save a few bucks. 

In Idaho where my family ranch is located you can buy a Harley for 50% of what Californian's demand, retaliative I guess. 

Anyway the owner has receipts from the services at the dealer, the service manager at the dealer is a friend and fellow dirt bike

racer of 20-years. Guess I'm just trying to justify buying the bike, my wife's not talking to me at the moment so I have nobody

else to fall back on.

Wouldn't worry about mechanical issues. The bike is reliable as a hammer.  If you are OK with the pricing and it isn't unreasonable for your market, go for it.  Priced a bit high IMHO, but inconsequential compared to the costs to own and operate for the next 10 years or so.

It's late January - I highly doubt the seller has people lining up to pay $6,500.00 for that bike.  Personally, I've got way more time than money.  I'd call the seller and tell him I've got fifty (50) crisp one hundred dollar bills in my hand.  Say the word and they are yours.  Anticipate the hem and the haw.  Offer him your cell phone number and hang up.

Then wait.

Within 24 hours, he's going to call you back and ask for another 5-10 Benjamins and you can set the hook and reel him in.

It's a buyers market for sure. one of my customers just picked up a low miles well farkled 13 for 5900.00.

Ya it's sucks to be a seller this time of the year (or any time). Sold my dirt bike Sunday for a big loss.

He's down to $6k but price isn't the issue, just like the Black early models. Anyway we'll see where this ends.

I would be interested to know what the camera setup is. I would try and knock him down a little on the price though.

Good luck,

Thanks, Dave

Be a shame to lose out on that bike, love the black myself. But, at the price he's asking - no.  Good luck with it though Domenic, hope he comes down to an agreeable number.

Be a shame to lose out on that bike, love the black myself. But, at the price he's asking - no.  Good luck with it though Domenic, hope he comes down to an agreeable number.
I remember riding with you two on madmikes tours when I first got the 2008. Great rides and group to be with.

I was originally shopping for a MT-10 when I came across the ad, but I'm getting older and might be the last chance to enjoy an new MT..

So next week after getting reamed on taxes I'll decide what direction to go. Thanks and have a great year.

Latest posts