Getting back into bikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishboy316

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking at bikes again after 15 years off them. Looking at FJR 1300 and ST 1300. Am considering very heavily this bike. Its a 2007 and she has 45,500 miles on her. Looks pretty darn good in pics. Has 2 other windshields and trunk bag and tank bag. From what I have read 45k isn't bad on these bikes. $4000 and it is negotiable. What do you folks think? Also Decent bike for 64 year old Mountain biker?
Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• 271726862_3075263042688229_8522356256207852346_n.jpg
    271726862_3075263042688229_8522356256207852346_n.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 25
I have owned both the bikes you mention. The FJR is now in the stable. ST is a great bike but long abandoned by Honda. It does have a great forum support to keep them running. The two things I did not like about the ST is it put mondo heat on the left leg. ST has a secondary master cylinder on the left front caliper that will cause the rear brake to lock up if not serviced properly and it is a pain in the ass to service.
FJR is the easiest bike to service and maintain. Lighter and better handling. Started with an 08 FJR and now on a 2014 ES. The cruise and electronic suspension is worth having. The 07 FJR has some throttle issues and be sure the ECM has been replaced due to high altitude stumbling issues. The 07 is a one year only color and very desirable. Look for the newest in your budget range. Can't go wrong with the FJR or ST. FJR is still supported by Yamaha so that is a plus.

Good luck on your search and decision.

45K is not bad at all, and neither is $4K, especially if you can work it down a little. Most comparisons seem to find the FJR a bit more sporty, the ST a little more of a tourer, but I'm guessing it's pretty close. If you can get a screaming deal on an ST with the same setup, then you'd want to compare pretty carefully, but the deal on the FJR looks good. The extras you listed are all very desirable. Sellers usually don't fully recoup the cost of that stuff, so if it's things you'd want anyway, that's an important consideration. Support from the manufacturer is important too. And of course with the FJR, you get us! 😁

Last edited:
The '07 is decent, not great but you can do better. Hunt for a '08 or newer due to improvements in fueling and ABS system. Plenty of examples out there...be patient and the right one will show up.

Happy hunting!

~G

The '07 is decent, not great but you can do better. Hunt for a '08 or newer due to improvements in fueling and ABS system. Plenty of examples out there...be patient and the right one will show up.

Happy hunting!

~G

FWIW, I never had any issues with the ABS on my '07 in 186,000 miles of ownership. The "snatchy" throttle at low openings can be greatly improved with a Power Commander. I bought mine lightly used with a PC but removed it. Improved fuel economy without the PC and got used to the throttle. That said, my current 2011 is better behaved than the '07 in terms of throttle abruptness. Love the color of the '07 but the 2010/2011 Liquid Silver is pretty good too.

I has a used 2004 ST1300 for 5 years. When it was totaled in an MVA, I bought a used 2007 FJR1300A. The ST has better wind and rain protection. It is a better bike for 2-up touring. It also has tip-over bars integrated into the factory design that work well (DAMHIK). The FJR is more sporty and it is easier to do your own service. If you are looking for a more touring-oriented machine and are not interested in doing your own maintenance, get the ST1300. If you looking for a one-up machine that is fun in the twisties and you like to do your own maintenance, get the FJR.

I'm with ross on this. I never had any issues with snatchy throttle or fueling issues on my '07. Never an ABS issue either. I did have Ivan's flash done just last year. Totally different throttle response.

45K miles? If there's decent maintenance records I say go for it.

Hello, I am looking at bikes again after 15 years off them. Looking at FJR 1300 and ST 1300. Am considering very heavily this bike. Its a 2007 and she has 45,500 miles on her. Looks pretty darn good in pics. Has 2 other windshields and trunk bag and tank bag. From what I have read 45k isn't bad on these bikes. $4000 and it is negotiable. What do you folks think? Also Decent bike for 64 year old Mountain biker?
Thanks
Bill
I bought my 2007 a year ago with 14k miles for $4,500. Awesome bike and the only year they made this color.

I've never owned an ST (looked at both the 1100 and 1300), settled on a 2004 Kawasaki Concours. Better weather protection then either (including any version of the FJR) damned top heavy, but to me was super comfortable. That said, since 2010 I have only owned an FJR ( 7 of them to date, settling on a 2015ES). If it were me, I'd be searching on a deal where you can a Gen 3 for around $6000 (yes they can be had). Examples; I bought a 2015 with 10,000 miles on her in 2019 for sub 7K. Just this past August I purchased my 2015ES with 33,000 on the clock for $6845 from a BMW dealer in San Francisco. I'd be willing to bet if you looked around (diligently), you could find a 2013 between 5 and 6000. Once you have heated grips, cruise control, and all of the myriad other gen3 goodies, you'll never look back.

I just searched Cycletrader, there are (3) 2013 FJR's under $7000. One is a private seller who is likely your best bet for making an advantageous deal. Candidly, I've owned all 3 generations of FJR's (up to 2015), and the cruise control and computerized info screens is what makes the deal for me.

I bought an 05' two years ago with 40k miles for $4000, thought it was a good deal and still do, don't sweat getting the 07' if you're on a budget. I compared to the ST's and the weight and engine differences did it for me, they both seem to be reliable.

I purchased an 07 new.
Zero issues and 78000 miles. I've done the recalls, added the Spider harness, a few other odds and ends. Just had mine at the dealer to look at the valves. They haven't needed adjustment yet.
It's a solid platform and there are riders on this forum who've put 100k miles on several models.

I had a 17 year break from motorcycles, so I know what you mean. I eventually bought a 2007 ST1300 back in 2013 - a great machine. I replaced that in 2018 with a 2016 FJR1300ES. I think they are very similar as far as servicing goes - I do all the maintenance myself. However, I do find the FJR more fun to ride due to the agility and extra power. And I just love the 2016 color. Good luck finding your perfect ride.

I test rode every sport tour bike I could find and even some adventure tour bikes and the FJR won my heart. The VFR came close but the FJR is better in several ways as far as I am concerned. I came from a Goldwing and the ST and Concourse just didn't provide enough fun (too goldwingy). They lean more to the tour side than the FJR which leans more to the sport side but not too much so. That said the FJR is very comfy for longer rides and you can always add handlebar risers and/or a Corbin seat if you want more comfort. Also, I am no mechanic but can do oil and shaft drive fluid changes without having to remove any plastic faring parts. I love that. Also, be aware that the ST can suffer from a wobble at higher speeds. There are some terrifying videos of that.

My FJR is a 2014 (the fastest color - grin). The gen 3 2013-2015 seem to be the current used sweet spot but if you can give up cruise control and a few other minor features, the gen 2 FJRs are a bargain. If you decide you want a gen 3 later, you can trade up without losing your shirt. FJRs are pretty easy to sell. Shop and ride a few if you can. Then buy and ride. You won't regret it.