getting the bike back from having four recalls done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdog

Reaction score
Bike was acting fine, but called the previous owner and confirmed that he had never had any recalls done on my 06AE.

Took it in to a dealership up the road (thats done solid work for me before) they called me back and informed me that the bike in fact had four recalls to be done, but he was in a considerable hurry. He briefly explained to me that the bike would be a few extra days because one of the recalls had something to do with a shifter, and that he tested something and something failed and that resulted in him ordering something and billing Yamaha 993 dollars. This was in addition to the ignition and the top mount. This was something i had never even seen on here.

Sorry but i was at work trying to talk to him, he was also in a hurry. I was just wondering what this was, i tried searching shifter recall and came back short. Im not bothered in the least, my mechanic is great and honestly the bike was running fine, i guess i just got lucky there. I just wanted to know what exactly he was saying he tested on my bike that failed.

If this has been talked about and i just missed it, sorry.

Bike was acting fine, but called the previous owner and confirmed that he had never had any recalls done on my 06AE.
Took it in to a dealership up the road (thats done solid work for me before) they called me back and informed me that the bike in fact had four recalls to be done, but he was in a considerable hurry. He briefly explained to me that the bike would be a few extra days because one of the recalls had something to do with a shifter, and that he tested something and something failed and that resulted in him ordering something and billing Yamaha 993 dollars. This was in addition to the ignition and the top mount. This was something i had never even seen on here.

Sorry but i was at work trying to talk to him, he was also in a hurry. I was just wondering what this was, i tried searching shifter recall and came back short. Im not bothered in the least, my mechanic is great and honestly the bike was running fine, i guess i just got lucky there. I just wanted to know what exactly he was saying he tested on my bike that failed.

If this has been talked about and i just missed it, sorry.
There's a recall regarding the shift actuator. Sounds like that is what you're talking about. Take a look in the Bin o Facts for the specifics. One of our Canadian forum members just had his actuator replaced to the tune of about 8-900 dollars. Yamaha covered the cost because the recall hadn't been performed by the dealer.

Mike

Four recalls. Let's see:

1) Altitude fix - replace ECU

2) TPS - throttle position sensor

3) Ignition Switch

4) Shift Actuator

How many did I get right?

For the ignition switch, if your dealer does it according to the instructions he will reuse your original lock cylinder and you still use the same key as before. One key for every lock on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a recall regarding the shift actuator. Sounds like that is what you're talking about. Take a look in the Bin o Facts for the specifics. One of our Canadian forum members just had his actuator replaced to the tune of about 8-900 dollars. Yamaha covered the cost because the recall hadn't been performed by the dealer.Mike
That would be me... $1200 Cdn, but replaced as you say because the dealer should have fixed this before the bike was delivered.

As I understand, there's a beefed up set of brackets for the shift actuator that the dealer is supposed to install, and then do a "torque test" on the actuator. If it fails that test with the bracket mod, then Yamaha replaces the actuator.

Good luck with the service work, and enjoy the bike :)

Griff

Four recalls. Let's see:1) Altitude fix - replace ECU

3) Ignition Switch

4) Shift Actuator

For the ignition switch, if your dealer does it according to the instructions he will reuse your original lock cylinder and you still use the same key as before. One key for every lock on the bike.
I've had the ignitin switch replaced but the other three my dealer never mentioned.

I have an 06 FJR A do all the bikes have these recalls?

3) Ignition Switch

4) Shift Actuator

I've had the ignitin switch replaced but the other three my dealer never mentioned.

1,2, and 3 do apply...#4 is for AE with the Electronic Shifter which you don't have

check the Bin O Facts to verify

google bin o facts site:fjrforum.com

google is your friend: ????? site:fjrforum.com

3) Ignition Switch

4) Shift Actuator
You forgot the 17mpg instant fuel economy electronic readout fix too. I think that was a recall. Or was it just a "we'll replace if you complain" issue?

3) Ignition Switch

4) Shift Actuator

1,2, and 3 do apply...#4 is for AE with the Electronic Shifter which you don't have

check the Bin O Facts to verify

google bin o facts site:fjrforum.com

google is your friend: ????? site:fjrforum.com
Uh, Patriot, you may want to check that Bin-O-Facts your ownself... ;) There was no TPS recall for Gen II bikes. And the ECU replacement program for the altitude sickness issue only affected some of the '06 bikes - not all (though it did affect all '07 bikes).

Motorcop, if you've had your bike since new you would have gotten a letter concerning the ECU replacement if your bike's VIN was included in the program. As I recall, it was only the later production run of '06 bikes (and all of the '07s) that received the faulty ECU.