Getting the urge for a change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
Maybe it's just this off-kilter year of 2020 getting to me, but I'm starting to think about switching bikes.  While I hate to think about getting rid of the FJR because it will likely always be my favorite bike, it is the better choice if I get rid of one.  I love the FJR because of the fun it has brought me over the last 8 years (and because it's an incredible machine), but my wife is right that we don't have garage space for 3 bikes and as long as she will ride on our long 2-up trips, I can't get rid of the Goldwing.  That's by far the greater factor for us.  I had a surprise tire issue two weeks ago and had to take the Goldwing instead of the FJR on a solo trip to the Eminence / Salem area of Missouri which reminded me how well the wing holds up to the curves and performs a lot like the FJR minus some acceleration. 

So I have a 2-up sport tourer that I plan to keep for our long trips and another slightly faster sport tourer that I ride for every day fun.  I remember when Fred W told me not to buy the wing because it's not different enough from the FJR.  He was right from the rider's perspective but not from the passenger's.  I have quit arguing with her over whether we take the FJR for the shorter 2-up trips because it makes so much difference to her knees. 

If this was a money decision, I'd certainly keep the FJR because I will have to sell it for less than half what I think it's worth. But I find myself getting bored and realize that I might enjoy riding something different after 8 years.  I'm not quick to get bored and don't like change very much, but maybe it's time.  

Poor me, I know, but I can't even figure out what to think about looking for. I don't know whether to think about an adventure bike or a lighter sport bike.  I've always gotten the best advice on this forum and this is about the only place I post, so you guys get to field the request for helping me process this, if interested.

If I truly want variety, one option would be getting a cruiser again, as I really enjoyed the Honda VTX1300 I owned before the Goldwing.  But I think my desires are less in that area.  

I mostly enjoy good handling riding the corners and still having great acceleration.  I don't ride crazy, but I like to push a bike as I practice and hone my abilities.

It would be fun to better handle the gravel roads with my nephew, but I am a 5'10" 56 year old, so I can't handle a really tall bike.  The weight is the biggest negative of the FJR for where I am today.  I want to like the Super Tenere more than I do, but I have ridden my nephew's and it didn't seem to have enough power to make me love it.  Are there other options in that class I should look at?

I probably really want a sport bike that I could take to the track once or twice, but I don't know where to start. FZ-07? 

Anyway, I'd appreciate any opinions.  It's nice here in KY this weekend so I'll take the FJR out and try to let her convince me to keep her.

Since getting my first FJR in July of 02, I have had 6 of them,a couple KLR's, two 1800 gold wings and a Spyder. The Wing is the two up choice cause it has enough room for full size folks but when I get the chance to get out on my own, the FJR gets to go. I like the gen1 bikes and as long as I can get a leg over it there will be one in the stable.

Ok, I get it. I shouldn't have expected anything less from you guys.  I showed my wife that I could get three bikes and the car in the garage in the winter if I don't have to access the lawnmower.  I could leave the car outside in the spring through fall like God intended.  She didn't say no, so that's on the table at least for the short term.

I was looking at the different MT's and the Kawasaki Z900 and then saw FJRBound's post in this section on downsizing to a Z900. Interesting coincidence.  I'm going to try to look at one tomorrow.  Other bikes you would suggest I consider?  It would be nicer to find a used bike that would fit this niche and be dependable but the FZ07's and their competition a few years old seem scarce and not enough cheaper than the new models.  

I like having different bikes, i have an fjr and a rocket 3. 
Always thought a gsxr 750 would be a great machine, not sure I would fit on it being six foot one. Love Kawasakis even though i currently dont own one, z900 sounds like a good bike. I got rid of an 11 fjr and ended up buying another fj. Will not make that mistake again.

Dirt: I have a '97 KTM 620 dual-sport and a '05 WR450F for off-road fun, but I'm really tempted by the new Tenere 700. Light, simple and under $13K. RyanF9 has an interesting review online.

Street: I'm 6'2" / 200 lbs. My pre-FJR street-ride was a '02 YZF-R6 and it was a blast. If the FJR isn't crazy enough for you, the R6 might scratch the itch without breaking the bank. The tall 6th gear was wasted on me as I had no interest in 160 MPH, so I swapped to a -1/+2 gearset for more grunt. Definitely worthwhile. The R6 power comes on at 8K RPM, but it explodes to 16K! If you want more torque at low RPM, there's always the R1 (with the associated cost and insurance!) but wringing the throttle is half the fun. When you're really on it, the sound crescendo is glorious!

I did a test drive today of the Z900 and the MT07. It was an odd experience that made me do some soul searching about why I ride. 
First, I expected but was still surprised by the forward riding position of the z900. It took a couple minutes and I mostly adjusted to sitting on the front wheel. The 900 4 cylinder had the power and feel I was looking for but I wondered if it would make me ride too aggressively. It was a very fun ride. I was pretty careful with it and would never push its limits. 
I suspected I wouldn’t like the ergonomics of the MT07 but it would be a more logical choice for what I needed. It was the opposite. I actually liked the sitting position of the MT07 and I think it is a touch more upright than the z900. So it’s the perfect logical choice for what I was looking for. It has plenty of torque to flip around in a reasonably adult manner. 
But that set up the problem. It felt a bit like a beginner bike to me and I found myself wanting more power out of the zippy twin that should have been plenty. I’m spoiled by the FJR hp I guess. I tried to convince myself this was still the smarter option and I would learn to enjoy it. Nope. 
I guess if I’m buying something for fun, it’s gotta be fun no matter what is logical. I’m gonna sleep on it but may go with the Kawasaki Z900 because it’s fun to me even though I won’t use all that power. 

Suprised you didn't like the S-10 more, I rarely us the sport mode but when I do it wakes right up. It doesn't pull like my 07 FJR but with decent tires and the Penski jacking the tail up a bit with escapefjrtist trick it does evereything well. I had thought maybe a MT-09 (Tracer) might be a nice fit but don't think I could settle on the MT-07 it just doesn't pull worth a damm!

The super tenere feels similar in torque to the MT07 to me. And it’s too tall and heavy for what I’m looking for. Would love to be able to hit more back roads though. 

Multistrada?
Friend of mine had a Multistrada. He found it immense fun.

BUT maintenance and reliability both caused him no end of problems. One example, he got me to help him adjust his chain. Needed a special tool (luckily supplied in his toolkit). It took much longer than I would consider reasonable, plus huge strength (excessive torque required on fastenings). Also, taking the rear wheel off for a tyre change requires a special tool, good luck with that if you need a tyre change and you're away from a Duc dealer. He's had bits of the exhaust system fall off, electronics throwing wobblies among other things. He loves riding it, but it's just too much trouble.

He's swapping it for a German offering.

Ride a BMW XR1000R

Ride it hard and you will know why I say why you should own one.  
I looked at the specs of the XR100R and now I'm glad there isn't a BMW dealer near me.  I'll bet that would be a blast.  That's a lot of torque, but a lot of money. 

I test drove the 2019 MT-10 at my local Yamaha place this morning and just now drove it home! It has loads of power, feels pretty comfortable to ride and handles great.  I've grown accustomed to my barn door rifle windshield on the FJR, so I'm getting re-introduced to something they call wind.  Big difference there.

I'm keeping the FJR for now, too.  If I find I'm not riding it, I'll have to sell it next year, but we shall see...

Now to get some time to ride before the cold weather sets in.

I looked at the specs of the XR100R and now I'm glad there isn't a BMW dealer near me.  I'll bet that would be a blast.  That's a lot of torque, but a lot of money. 
I rode one a year ago an a real sweet section of a twisty river road that I know well.  Never went so fast so easily- too easily as sometimes a little fear keeps one in check on public roads.  As with all things BMW the service was way more than any UJM.

Nice choice on the MT 10, I'm sure it will be a blast.

I test drove the 2019 MT-10 at my local Yamaha place this morning and just now drove it home! It has loads of power, feels pretty comfortable to ride and handles great.  I've grown accustomed to my barn door rifle windshield on the FJR, so I'm getting re-introduced to something they call wind.  Big difference there.

I'm keeping the FJR for now, too.  If I find I'm not riding it, I'll have to sell it next year, but we shall see...

Now to get some time to ride before the cold weather sets in.
It's kind of ugly in the front while also being kind of sexy in the front. It has me a little torn. It looks fun AF to ride. I think you're gonna have a blast! 

Congrats on the new bike. You’ll likely pile miles on it the first year and the FJR will get dusty, and just when you think you should sell it, you’ll look at the prices and shake your head about why you should let it go for such little amounts. Then one day you’ll head out for a ride on it to blow out the cobwebs and suddenly you’ll remember why you bought it in the first place. Because it has the right blend of power and handling, and it’s reliable as ever.

I went from an FJR to a garage full of bikes. I’m “down” to just six, not including the dirt bike. They don’t get ridden as much as I’d like but I like them all. I took the FJR out for a week long ride and really liked it again. Plus an 08 FJR isn’t worth anything, better off to keep it and lend it to visiting pals.