Getting the urge for a change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I'd give the MT-10 itself an A, but I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it legally.  Since I'm still in the initial 600 miles I'm not riding all that rough and still I need the traction control on 2 to avoid wheelies. 

I was looking for something to get me out of the rut as I wasn't enjoying riding as much and I think this is going to do it. But I'm having to pull back from setting it up for more LD riding out of habit.  I did put a puig windscreen on it (which blocks some cold air, but moves the wind off my chest so that's not great for my wrists). Some people put large side bags and a top case on this bike and I think that takes away the feel of the bike.  

<<snip>> So far I'd give the MT-10 itself an A, but I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it legally.  Since I'm still in the initial 600 miles I'm not riding all that rough and still I need the traction control on 2 to avoid wheelies.
Back to my post above...let me know when you figure it out!

~G

I had a good ride on December 5th down to TN 232 which some locals call the TN Baby Dragon. It's the first time I've relaxed and just enjoyed the ride instead of evaluating every little thing about the bike and how I rode it.  It did really well in the twisties. I'm really looking forward to taking it to NC or Arkansas next year.

Yesterday (New Year's Day) was unusually warm but really windy and I didn't feel like going a long way and getting surprised by a storm. So I had the opportunity to take out both the MT-10 and the FJR.

The unsurprising things:

- FJR handled the wind so much better. Not just the rifle windshield but the weight of the bike ignored the gusts, while the MT felt like I was going to get blown off the road a few times.

- The MT-10 was faster. What??? Who would've thought. It really is insane how quickly it accelerates, though. The FJR will get you in trouble quickly, but on the MT-10 if you think a fast thought, you are there already. At 80 the FJR is saying "come on let's go" but the MT-10 will set you back in the seat and feel like the front is coming up if you twist the wrist.

- The FJR is a smoother ride. I've worked with the suspension settings a lot on the MT-10 and I am pretty happy with it, but it feels more sporty and you notice the road a lot more. The FJR still turns in great and does exactly what I want it to do at speed. It's a great touring bike.

- The weight of the MT-10 makes a huge difference in the driveway and parking lot. I feel 100% in control of it. I can perform box maneuvers really well and am never in danger of dropping it. The FJR takes concentration for me to manage at very slow speed.

The somewhat surprising things:

- The ergonomics of the MT-10 are really good for me.  I had trouble with the FJR at first and raised the handlebars to get to where my wrists didn't hurt. The MT-10 feels really natural at stock and is comfortable to ride. It's harder on the butt due to the sporty feel and the stock seat so I couldn't do long miles as easily, I'm sure. I am trying a bead rider for the first time on this and it helps. But I like the riding position.

- To go along with the speed, the engine braking is incredible on the MT-10.  You can speed up quickly and just by unwinding the throttle it slows down almost as fast. 

- The braking is lacking for the increased speed. The wing and the FJR have linked brakes so the lack of linked brakes gets me in trouble. I think the FJR has a problem and is too soft on the rear, but my service guy says it is fine (he has an FJR and an FZ1). I find myself hitting ABS on the rear brake of the MT too frequently. When pulling the clutch, I lose the engine braking so the front doesn't stop as soon as I expect and almost get in trouble. I've been practicing this to avoid a bad experience.

- When I was studying the bike one of the big complaints was gas mileage and tank distance. This hasn't been a big deal. I have been getting around 35 mpg most of the time still riding it pretty hard. I can get 125 miles before hitting the 1 gallon reserve, so it's easy enough to manage.

- I really miss the storage on my sport tourers even when driving around town. What if you decide to stop at the store?

- This thing has a chain! What's up with that? I haven't had to maintain a chain for 30 years.

I haven't yet caught myself asking why I bought the MT as it has got me out riding more and has been really fun. I was pretty happy riding the FJR yesterday, too, though. Very likely the Goldwing will still be for the long 2-up trips and the MT-10 will get most of the attention with local rides and some trips a few hours away for the twisties. After yesterday I can see myself still enjoying the FJR, though. I doubt I will sell it.

Wow, interesting choice in bikes as I also have an FJR and a FZ-10. Love them both for different reasons. I would only have the FJR except my riding group ALL ride naked bikes (FZ-10, BMW S1000, and now a KTM Super Duke GT) and for riding the twisties of NC, Tn, Va and Ky the FZ-10 is superb! I either trailer it or haul it in the back of my F-150 as even with a better seat 300 miles is about it. I do have EBC brake pads, steel brake lines and a radial master cylinder on mine and the brakes are awesome!

The FJR is my go to bike for any distance riding and the 6+ gallon tank and great mileage allows for LONG periods in the saddle ( a used Russell). Plenty of storage places for multi day trips and I get a LOT of compliments on the color ('16 Blue). I love both of them and am not looking forward to the day I have to only have one bike.....but then again, knocking on the door of 70, that day may come!

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it legally. 

Back to my post above...let me know when you figure it out!

~G
For the most part I've settled down with the MT10. I still really like it. For 90% of what I do it is less functional than the FJR because of the FJR's great windshield, storage and larger gas tank. But I've also answered my question above differently than I thought I would. The real answer comes from that 10% of the time when I "might" choose to not ride quite as "legally" :)  The grin sticks with you when you're riding legally knowing what it could do.

We took a trip to Southern IL where I grew up and my wife's family still lives for a couple days. I was able to take the bike. There are a lot of straight back roads NW of Metropolis (not much of a metropolis but Superman is there) with great visibility and never any police. I got to know them really well when driving (racing) to summer classes at a local college there. I really opened her up on those roads several times to see what she could do. I never felt I was at my limit and certainly wasn't at the bike's limit. The thing that amazes me is how much torque there still is left when already at "way too fast" speeds. I started to say how fast I was going when I twisted the throttle and it still set me back, but I had better not. I feel like a hooligan, but then the guys on the MT10 forum complain about the limiter that kicks in at 155 and so they re-flash the ECU to get past it. I'm trying not to become "that guy".

I'm so pumped to take it to Barber in Birmingham at the end of May for the second California Super Bike School class. I do the first one on a rented BMW liter bike at the Corvette Museum track. It's gonna be a good May for this old guy as long as I don't crash and end up in the hospital. The leathers prevent road rash, but they don't help as much with old broken bones.

Anyway, this thread started from me being in a riding rut and the MT10 has effectively cured it.