• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Givi 357 Gen2/3 rack - supersized by Garauld

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gang - per the request of a couple fellow riders, I have modified their stock Givi 357 racks as shown in the following piccy. The enlargement consists of 1/2" dia. steel tubing TIG welded to the stock Givi frame and then coated with durable satin black powdercoat. It measures approx. 16" wide x 12" long. I can do yours also for $120 plus return shipping. Optionally, I can provide a backrest that bolts to the rack for an additional $120. PM me for more info.
thumbsup.gif

P1020717_zpsf9364353.jpg

Garauld... I would like to say publicly how much we appreciate your willingness to work this design up for us... Working on this with you has been a pleasure.

Its beautiful and combines the strength of the Givi with quality, style and utility of the legendary Garauld rack.

I am damn proud to say that my bike will bear one of the first, if not THE first one of these built. (If I have to fight Shag for for #0001, ill have to settle on #0002 as he can whip my ass)

I look forward to bolting it on and will post pics ASAP.

Yer killing me smalls!

Almost exactly the way I would have done it. Gotta start saving pennies for this........

Hmmmmmm........... looking a little closer................. Does the plastic Givi baseplate still fit on your design so as an option a Givi topcase can still be mounted?

Last edited by a moderator:
The flange of the plastic Givi base will hit the U-pieces as first designed. As those guys had me remove the two mounting plates, they are not planning to use the plastic base. If someone wanted to keep the base functional, I would lengthen the U-pieces a bit and then notch the Givi plastic flanges (clearing the logo badge) for the tubes thus allowing it to sit proper. I could possibly loop the tubes below a bit so I might not need to notch the base. This tubing is pretty rugged stuff.

The flange of the plastic Givi base will hit the U-pieces as first designed. As those guys had me remove the two mounting plates, they are not planning to use the plastic base. If someone wanted to keep the base functional, I would lengthen the U-pieces a bit and then notch the Givi plastic flanges (clearing the logo badge) for the tubes thus allowing it to sit proper. I could possibly loop the tubes below a bit so I might not need to notch the base. This tubing is pretty rugged stuff.

Thanks. Saving pennies............

Perfect! I've been going to replace my PCA rack with the 357 mount (purchased here off the forum) and was also wondering about being able to use the topcase after reading your first post. So for those of us that still want to use the mount for a Givi case, we would send you the complete mount?

Would the price change for this version?

Thanks for all you do Garauld.

Absolutely perfect. Subframe protection and functionality
At the risk of opening a can of worms:

Does this offer additional sub-frame protection? Looks to me like it only adds room for additional weight hanging off the back of the bike, which could lead to embarrassing butt(rear sub-frame)-cracks.

I've got a GIVI 357 rack that I'm working on a mod for to add an attachment point farther forward on the bike - near the rear seat lock mechanism to minimize the pivoting force near the standard rear sub-frame failure point.

Absolutely perfect. Subframe protection and functionality
At the risk of opening a can of worms:

Does this offer additional sub-frame protection? Looks to me like it only adds room for additional weight hanging off the back of the bike, which could lead to embarrassing butt(rear sub-frame)-cracks.

I've got a GIVI 357 rack that I'm working on a mod for to add an attachment point farther forward on the bike - near the rear seat lock mechanism to minimize the pivoting force near the standard rear sub-frame failure point.
Very good question...

perhaps a more accurate statement would have been "and increased subframe protections"? :)

after reading every single forum and post i can find regarding subframe failure, the failure always takes place in the rearmost section where the original tail racks and other tail racks bolt on... the 3 bolt area on the rearmost section of the sub.

after a lot of searching, i have concluded, perhaps incorrectly, that there is not one single subframe failure in the midsection of the SF where the forward bolts of the Givi attach...

and yes, overloading the tail will cause the sub to fail... the question remains at what weight and under what conditions.

Given what appears to be anecdotal evidence that the Givi 5 bolt setup with the steel bracing running to the clearly stronger section of the subframe, i'm willing to assume the givi is simply a stronger setup. i'm not however hoping to test the limits, just decrease my chances of SF failure.

I have no intention of overloading this, but the ridiculous weight limits (3 kg!!!!!) on the factory tail, tail box and what appears to be the rearmost portion of the subframe, but i would like to carry a medium duffle such a s a motofizz or northface or similar in this location and certainly with a higher level of confidence.

I like the idea of leaving the factory mounting plate on the modified rack so it allows a lot of options for many.

i personally don't care for the look of the FJR with the factory trunk or givi trunk and prefer the flexibility that the duffel offers.

I am open to the thoughts and ideas of others smarter than I, of which there are many here, but for now, this is a great solution i have been kicking around for a couple of years with Garauld and being the master that he is, he made it happen.

YMMV...

I am very envious of Garauld's welding skills and would like to enlist his help in the modification of teh GIVI 357 I am mulling over.

So for those of us that still want to use the mount for a Givi case, we would send you the complete mount? Would the price change for this version?
I would need the entire rack and plastic base unit. No price change.

I would like to enlist his help in the modification of the GIVI 357 I am mulling over.
Sure - send me a PM.

I would like to enlist his help in the modification of the GIVI 357 I am mulling over.
Sure - send me a PM.
Just sent.

I don't even have the rack on my bike at the moment, so it might take me a couple days to install it, make some measurements, drink a few beers, make a few more measurements, lay down have a nap, then start scribbling.

The main tricky parts may be bending new tubing to the proper shape, then welding it onto the existing rack at fairly sharp angles.

I have almost no welding skills, I can make two pieces of steel stick together using my $70 wire feed welder form Harbor Freight, but that's about it.

OK, those pics are of my mount. Got it yesterday so I know what I'll be doing this week. Everything looks great Gary
punk.gif
I'll take pics of the install and post up when I get it done. This includes the Stiffy brace as well.

DSCN1895.jpg

I can now provide Gen2/3 riders with a new Givi SR 357 rack with the extensions powdercoated in your choice of a standard color for $230 plus S&H. Gen1 riders who want the SR349 rack with similar extensions can get one for $245 + S&H. Adapter plates for trunks will cost extra. PM me if you wish to pursue.
thumbsup.gif