Givi rack fitment issue - '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !
Reaction score
Like TriggerT, I am building up my replacement FJR one component at a time. My bike came with a Yamaha trunk which I wish to replace with my intact Givi V46. For some reason it was not on the old bike at the point of impact.

My first bike had a plate mount on the Yamaha "rack". I reinforced the set up with a custom clamp on the back to damp any bouncing the plate may have due to its cantilevered design.

This time around I decided to go with a Givi rack because it is made out of steel, not ABS plastic. This will be the stronger method for carrying the weight back there.

I am having a problem mounting the thing. It uses 3 standoffs in back to space it above the tail piece, the 2 front mounting bolts secure it directly to the sub frame.

IMG_2352.jpg

The problem I am having is the rack isn't formed right. With the 3 rear bolts snugged the front section is hovering over the mount pads on the sub frame by about 7/16.

IMG_2354-1.jpg

I pointed this out to the clerk at RoadRider (here in San Jose) where I bought it. After showing it to him in his store parking lot he agreed to send it back to Givi and request another one. A couple weeks later I made it back to pick up the replacement, and lo and behold, the second one has the same problem. Since the Yamaha platform fits correctly on all 5 points - by gravity, I have to believe my sub frame straight, intact, and in good shape - there are no cracks in the die casting section. It looks like Givi has a problem with their bend jig, as both racks have the same fitment problem.

You can see how it interferes with the rear seat. If I just bolted all 5 mounts down tight it would damage the die cast aluminum section in the sub frame. That would be bad.

IMG_2359.jpg

I want the rack, even though RoadRider offered to refund my money. I know that this will be a good rack once I correct the problem. Road Rider sells a lot of Givi equipment, they will let Givi know about my fitment problem. They have seen both racks as well as the Yamaha unit. Hopefully Givi will fix it on their end.

I will make the necessary adjustment to have it fit up right. It won't be difficult, I just have to be smarter than steel. I plan to heat this bend area to give it just a bit more angle.

IMG_2367.jpg

As you can see the front mounting holes are a bit forward of where they belong. By adding the extra bend where my finger points that should drop it right nicely as well as correct the misalignment.

My question for the forum members - especially the 2nd Gen. owners with the same rack...

Did you have the same problem?

Or is this something new that has developed with the Givi bend jig.

Thanks

smile.gif

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiyah Brodie,

I don't have an intelligent response as I don't use a Givi setup.

But a rosebud is your friend, yes? :)

It's not the Givi rack. Your subframe is bent out of alignment at the

three-point rack mounting area. Probably bent out of shape by a

passenger leaning against the Yamaha trunk.

It's not the Givi rack. Your subframe is bent out of alignment at the

three-point rack mounting area. Probably bent out of shape by a

passenger leaning against the Yamaha trunk.
So you really think the plastic box bent the aluminum subframe ??? :blink:

Brodie,

any room to cut the spacers down and lower the rack ?

I have a Givi rack fitted on an '09 and don't have any alignment problems! :rolleyes:

If it were me I would be inclined to snug down the two front bolts first and work out what sort of shims are needed on the three rear mounts to get everything lined up.

One other thing - while you have the rack off be sure to give it a spray with ACF-50 (or similar), they tend to corrode at the weld points!

Good luck with it

Don

I have an 06AE and put this mount on for a Givi E52 Maxia. I did not notice the issue you are seeing, but I didn't buy it new from the factory. Not sure if the original owner might have had to tweak it to make it fit but it didn't look to have been modifid in any way.

I just recieved one of these Givi racks and have the exact same problem. Was able to get it to fit using a stack of washers on the rear mounting lug and under the front two mounting points. This is not right, but it works for now. There is defantly a fitment problem with these racks. My stock plastic grab bar fits perfectly. If there was a sub frame problem it would not fit.

... Was able to get it to fit using a stack of washers on the rear mounting lug and under the front two mounting points.
I would remove those washers.

Did you read Post #7 ? <Link>

If you follow that link, you will see that this is common and not necessarily a problem or issue. Be sure to read down to at least Post #13 in that thread.

Don't worry.

Use anti-seize on the threads.

Snug the three rearmost screws through the rack first.

Then, press down hard on the front cross member of the Givi rack.

Thread the remaining two fasteners and snug them down.